Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

I spoke a while back about possibly upgrading and getting a 11900K for the Vision-D. There are sale on locally and I am still on the fence. I confirmed earlier with gigabyte that full PCIe4 is capable on the board. My biggest concern is the compatibility with Hackintoshing. Is there anything to be worried about upgrading the CPU? My concern is around CPU recognition by MacOS, power management features and are there features in MacOS that utilize iGPU which obviously would not work because there is no driver support for 11th gen iGPU's. Can anyone chime in on if it will just be a headache upgrading to 11900K? or if there are any issues they had and are solved. I would like the least amount of headaches and easy patching if any. I am guessing features like sidecar probably wouldn't work because of lack of igpu support.
There shouldn’t be a problem as I’ve already done and tested the build before on Big Sur - Rocket Lake 11900K works fully with Z490 motherboards (check my Rodimus signature below). The only issue you’ll have is the Intel UHD770 IGPU which is unsupported.

There shouldn’t be a problem as I’ve already done and tested the build before on Big Sur - Rocket Lake 11900K works fully with Z490 motherboards (check my Rodimus signature below). The only issue you’ll have is the Intel UHD770 IGPU which is unsupported.
thanks for the reply. good to know. it is hard to figure out the best course. I have read that you need to spoof the processor. again my biggest worry to is if features in macOS will require the igpu to work. namely things like sidecar. I have read in other builds by caseySJ that sidecar wouldn't work without a T2 chip or support igpu. I guess things like that worry me if it is worth the risk of losing features. I'll look through your link.. thanks!

thanks for the reply. good to know. it is hard to figure out the best course. I have read that you need to spoof the processor. again my biggest worry to is if features in macOS will require the igpu to work. namely things like sidecar. I have read in other builds by caseySJ that sidecar wouldn't work without a T2 chip or support igpu. I guess things like that worry me if it is worth the risk of losing features. I'll look through your link.. thanks!
Because Rocket Lake’s iGPU isn’t supported, it would be best to use a system product name such as MacPro7,1. This will enable DRM in apps like Safari, Apple Music, and AppleTV. Sidecar, however, will not work. If you rely on Sidecar, it’s best to use Comet Lake CPU (10th gen). There isn’t much of a performance difference between 10th and 11th other than support for PCIe 4.0.

Because Rocket Lake’s iGPU isn’t supported, it would be best to use a system product name such as MacPro7,1. This will enable DRM in apps like Safari, Apple Music, and AppleTV. Sidecar, however, will not work. If you rely on Sidecar, it’s best to use Comet Lake CPU (10th gen). There isn’t much of a performance difference between 10th and 11th other than support for PCIe 4.0.
MacPro system profile makes sense. Are there any other missing features you can think of. I assume sleep and power management features should work once you spoof the CPU. Sidecar isn't a huge deal breaker. I am thinking I might even just upgrade this ivy bridge system instead now and have two machines. get another Z490 motherboard. 10th gen processors are hard to find here in canada now though. Thanks CaseySJ!

10th gen processors are hard to find here in canada now though.
Use Newegg.ca they've still got the tenth gen i7/i9 K CPUs. Some ship from Canada, some from the US.

Use Newegg.ca they've still got the tenth gen i7/i9 K CPUs. Some ship from Canada, some from the US.

Yeah, I am really looking into just getting a Z590 and a 11900K and trying to run a hypervisor. Keep thinking about back and forth! hard to decide! 13900K is coming soon too.. but there are so many deals on 11900K and Z590 boards right now.

but there are so many deals on 11900K and Z590 boards right now.
The money you save now won't matter later on, when you don't have a working iGPU and you need it for various reasons. Just my 2 cents.

The money you save now won't matter later on, when you don't have a working iGPU and you need it for various reasons. Just my 2 cents.
Can you elaborate? If I put a 5700 XT in, are there going to be missing features still? As caseysj mentioned, changing the system profile to a macpro should bypass the iGPU dependence? Are there other things to look out for?

Are there other things to look out for?
With UHD 630 you can use Intel Quicksync. Not sure if that fits your use case. I always like to have an iGPU that works if there are ever problems with the dGPU and I need something easy to make work as a backup. There's nothing wrong with 11th gen, you can use that hardware and make it work. My first priority when choosing any hardware, is native support in macOS. Helps making a working EFI folder simpler and easier.

With a 10th gen system you also get the option to use iMac20,2 SMBIOS which was the last Intel Mac released in August 2020. It might get a year longer support than iMacPro1,1 or MacPro7,1. That's just a guess, but it might happen. I'd bet that the iMac Pro loses support with macOS 14 next year. Probably all the 2017/18 Macs will. Even the 2018 Mac minis. Will the mid 2019 Mac Pro be spared ? We'll know next June at WWDC. I'd think the Mac Pro refresh (M2) will show up by then. Apple hardly sells any new Intel Mac Pros anymore so they'll not think twice about ending support.

I'd estimate that Apple drops all 2019/20 Macs in 2024 with macOS 15 but the 2020 release year Macs have a slim chance of support in 2024. There were 3 Intel MBAs and 4 Intel MBPs released in Spring 2020 just before the 27" Intel 10th gen iMacs that August.

Screen Shot.jpg

Last edited:
With UHD 630 you can use Intel Quicksync. Not sure if that fits your use case. I always like to have an iGPU that works if there are ever problems with the dGPU and I need something easy to make work as a backup. There's nothing wrong with 11th gen, you can use that hardware and make it work. My first priority when choosing any hardware, is native support in macOS. Helps making a working EFI folder simpler and easier.
These are all valid points. I definitely want to stay to most compatible. I'm just curious the pro's and cons of getting a Z590 with a 10900K? is the z590 supported? I suppose a z590 with a Thunderbolt 4 chipset is going to be troublesome? Ideally I would like to get another Z490 Vision D but they are just impossible to find. I was considering a Z490 Aorus Master but that has no Thunderbolt without an add-on card which takes up the slot for a 10Gb Ethernet card which I would like to get. Is there a Z590 board that would be compatible long term with Thunderbolt? Or do you recommend sticking to a Z490 for long term compatibility?

Back