Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hello @hackerno1

I like your user name! :)

But I don’t understand the details of your description.
  • Are you able to get to the Catalina login screen?
  • When you enter your password in Catalina, what happens?
  • Is your home folder located on a different disk than the Catalina system disk?
  • How many SSDs are installed?
1. Yes
2. Nothing, password is accepted (as it doesn't complain for wrong password), but then nothing happens on that screen, no progress bar or next screen
3. No, within Catalina sdd
4. Total 3 === #1 Catalina (Crucial NVME SSD 240 gb) with home folder then #2 is another 250gb SATA SSD used just for system backup (time machine) #3 is also SATA SSD (sandisk) but consider it an external as it is where I keep copying data from Catalina occasionally (for days like this), so my data is saved but I still have something on Catalina - and I believe this problem can be solved so I don't have to re-do the whole installation and loose many apps/settings I installed over time.

Last edited:
Failed trial so far:
1. Removed all SSD except CATALINA - doesn't work (A)
2. Tried 2nd M.2 slot (for Catalina NVME SSD) - doesn't work (A)
3. Used USB to boot, recover OS - doesn't work - (B)

A == login screen shows as as usual like it used to, put password... nothing (see screenshot)
B == Mac logo shows up and nothing
In both A or B nothing is happening after that point, I waited as long as an hour

Attachments

• IMG_1566.jpeg
    IMG_1566.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 28
Failed trial so far:

A == login screen shows as as usual like it used to, put password... nothing (see screenshot)
In both A or B nothing is happening after that point, I waited as long as an hour
Could you try to set false DisableIOmapper then reboot again ?
If it crashes, set false drop dmar, and unselect dmar aml files then reboot again.

Failed trial so far:

Some comments:
  • I recommend making a bootable backup using disk cloning software such as Carbon Copy Cloner. This kind of problem can be avoided if we have a bootable backup.
  • Because Recovery does not launch, your choices now are very limited:
    • Option 1: Install Catalina on a spare SATA or NVMe SSD
      • Create a new USB install disk using the same EFI folder
      • Boot from the USB install disk
      • Then install Catalina on the spare SSD
    • Option 2: Install the Catalina NVMe SSD into an external enclosure such as this one.
      • Connect this enclosure to another Mac that is working
      • Transfer the files you need to the other Mac
      • Then try running the macOS Catalina installer on this enclosure -- it should reinstall Catalina without deleting the home folder
        • But backup all files from the home folder first

2. Nothing, password is accepted (as it doesn't complain for wrong password), but then nothing happens on that screen, no progress bar or next screen
Sounds like you have FileVault enabled. Please show us the EFI folder you are using.

Last edited:
** Quick Note on macOS 13: Ventura **

Apple intends to release a public beta of Ventura next month. As soon as it's available, I'll post a mini-guide explaining (a) OpenCore configuration, (b) installation options, and (c) what works and what does not work. Meanwhile, consider upgrading to latest version of macOS Big Sur or Monterey if you are still on Mojave or Catalina. And latest version of OpenCore (0.8.1).

Some comments:
  • I recommend making a bootable backup using disk cloning software such as Carbon Copy Cloner. This kind of problem can be avoided if we have a bootable backup.
  • Because Recoverydoes not launch, your choices now are very limited:
    • Option 1:Install Catalina on a spare SATA or NVMe SSD
      • Create a new USB install disk using the same EFI folder
      • Boot from the USB install disk
      • Then install Catalina on the spare SSD
    • Option 2: Install the Catalina NVMe SSD into an external enclosure such as this one.
      • Connect this enclosure to another Mac that is working
      • Transfer the files you need to the other Mac
      • Then try running the macOS Catalina installer on this enclosure -- it should reinstall Catalina without deleting the home folder
        • But backup all files from the home folder first
Thanks @CaseySJ - went with option 2 - I got a similar M.2/NVME-2-USB adapter, and got all my remaining data out from Catalina NVME-SSD - so all good on personal data part.

Thanks for your input/help, and sorry for killing your time on this :) - just a silly mistake on my side. So now I can re-do the whole installation again.

Could you try to set false DisableIOmapper then reboot again ?
If it crashes, set false drop dmar, and unselect dmar aml files then reboot again.
Tried didn't do anything different. Thanks for the help, now that I have my data out, I will rather format and re-do installation instead of more debug. It would have been nice though to fix this, as I see the Catalina SDD is all fine when used via a USB adapter, it did asked me for admin/pwd and let me copy my stuff out.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 8.41.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 8.41.30 PM.png
    47.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 8.41.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 8.41.43 PM.png
    46.2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
sorry for offtop, but is there a way to boot in verbose mode without -v flag in OpenCore?

Back