2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@CaseySJ,

Do you have a link to the OC Boot Picker "cmd" commands? I know there's CMD-V, which I've used. But there are others, and my searching can't come up with a list of them. TIA.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@CaseySJ,

Do you have a link to the OC Boot Picker "cmd" commands? I know there's CMD-V, which I've used. But there are others, and my searching can't come up with a list of them. TIA.
@Stork,

OpenCanopy is designed to mimic Apple's own boot picker so we can refer to Apple's own list here:
OpenCanopy does not support all of the shortcuts, but it does support the most common ones. The shortcuts that I've personally tested are highlighted in red.

Screen Shot 2022-05-18 at 2.46.05 PM.png

Motherboard
Z490 > Need manufactor and Full model names > See Rules!
CPU
i7-10700k
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Hi folks, I followed the original tutorial in this thread in 2020 when it had less than 50 pages and I haven't updated my Hackintosh since <shamecube>.
  • I'm still on MacOS Catalina 10.15.5 (iMac19,1; Hackintool v3.4.0; OpenCore 0.5.9).
  • My spec: i7-10700k, Radeon 5700 XT Gigabyte OC, Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Bios F5a).
I'm looking to upgrade to 12.4.
  1. What's the proper way / order to do it? I will really appreciate any pointers / a link to the tutorial.
  2. Do I need to upgrade to 11 first?
  3. Is there anything I need to be aware of regarding my spec and upgrading Big Sur? Things not working, changes to the config etc.
I'm not very familiar with building a Hackintosh, I did it once in 2020 following CaseySJ tutorial and after addressing few initial issues everything worked fine. I haven't touched the setup, just enjoyed using my machine and forgot most of the things I done back then :(

Thank you!

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I'm looking to upgrade to 12.4.
  1. What's the proper way / order to do it? I will really appreciate any pointers / a link to the tutorial.
First step. Go to step 13 in post #1 and make a bootable backup. I think that Casey's Z690 Pro Art Golden Build has an even more up to date bootable backup guide but this one will work fine for Catalina.

Screen Shot.jpg

After you have the backup and tested that it boots, you can then try an in place upgrade to Monterey. Use the EFI folder Casey provides and put your Serials, SmUUID and ROM into the config.plist before you try the upgrade. Replace the existing EFI folder with the newest available. I'm not sure where the OC 0.8.0 folder is in this guide but you can search for it.

Motherboard
CPU
i7-10700k
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Thanks @trs96! I have an additional SSD in the machine and I already made a backup using CCC before posting this.
  • What about OC, should I upgrade OC to 0.8.0 before trying to perform in-place upgrade?
  • Can I upgrade 0.5.9 directly to 0.6.6 and use this tutorial to upgrade to 0.8.0? OR do I need to go version by version 0.5.9 -> 0.6.0 -> 0.6.1 and so on?
  • Silly question: what does it mean "use the EFI folder Casey provides ..."? Can you please point me to a specific step in the tutorial?
  • I recall using USB drive for the initial installation, do I still need it?
Thanks!

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thanks @trs96! I have an additional SSD in the machine and I already made a backup using CCC before posting this.
  • What about OC, should I upgrade OC to 0.8.0 before trying to perform in-place upgrade?
  • Can I upgrade 0.5.9 directly to 0.6.6 and use this tutorial to upgrade to 0.8.0? OR do I need to go version by version 0.5.9 -> 0.6.0 -> 0.6.1 and so on?
  • Silly question: what does it mean "use the EFI folder Casey provides ..."? Can you please point me to a specific step in the tutorial?
  • I recall using USB drive for the initial installation, do I still need it?
Thanks!
It would be good to upgrade to OC 0.7.8 first. The mini-guide and EFI folder are provided. There’s a link at the top of Post 1 to that mini-guide.

In the mini-guide there’s an additional section for Catalina users so please follow that as well. Then try booting Catalina with OpenCore 0.7.8. If it works you can then stay on 0.7.8 and begin an in-place upgrade to Monterey 12.4.

When Monterey is installed and verified, then follow the HackinDROM guide (which you already pointed out in your post) to upgrade from OC 0.7.8 to 0.8.0.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SOC
CPU
i7-4790
Graphics
2x Vega 56 (Vega 64 Bios)
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
After moving from OC 0.6.3 to 0.7.8 and upgrading from Catalina to Monterey, my dual boot option for my Windows drive on the OpenCore boot picker is not able to load Windows successfully. After picking the Windows drive, it just goes to a black screen.

If I boot the Windows drive from the bios menu, still works fine.

Did anyone have the same problem?

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
After moving from OC 0.6.3 to 0.7.8 and upgrading from Catalina to Monterey, my dual boot option for my Windows drive on the OpenCore boot picker is not able to load Windows successfully. After picking the Windows drive, it just goes to a black screen.

If I boot the Windows drive from the bios menu, still works fine.

Did anyone have the same problem?
At the top of the OC 0.7.8 mini-guide is a section called “Windows Users”. Please have a look.

Motherboard
CPU
i7-10700k
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
UPDATE (2022-05-20 11:44AM PST):
- I found out that I can click space in the OpenCanopy to unlock option to clear NVRAM. I cleared NVRAM and my Hackintosh properly booted using old OC 0.5.9. Will try new OC soon. Although I'm not sure how to address "Failed to drop ACPI ..." error.

It would be good to upgrade to OC 0.7.8 first. The mini-guide and EFI folder are provided. There’s a link at the top of Post 1 to that mini-guide.

In the mini-guide there’s an additional section for Catalina users so please follow that as well. Then try booting Catalina with OpenCore 0.7.8. If it works you can then stay on 0.7.8 and begin an in-place upgrade to Monterey 12.4.
Thanks CaseySJ! I used Z490 Vision D with Broadcom WiFi/BT and followed the instructions (I'm using https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082X8MBMD/?tag=tonymacx86com-20 for WiFi and BT):
  • created EFI partition on USB drive with OC 0.7.8
  • Booted OC from the USB and saw REL-078-2022-02-07 in OpenCanopy Picker.
  • I selected Catalina again, tried to boot and I got a black screen. Although something is running underneath as when I waited for a few minutes the PC went to sleep, I clicked enter and it woke up, but didn't sent any signal to the screen)
  • I tried booting with and without the USB, and use EFI from USB vs from the SSD, but I'm still getting the black screen even when not using USB drive.
Important: When I use USB drive with OC 0.7.8 to attempt booting Catalina drive, a message "Failed to drop ACPI ..." pops for a split of a second before the Apple logo with progress bar appears.
  1. As I mentioned before, I'm very new to this, so please forgive me silly questions: How is it possible that my setup is broken? I thought that in case EFI from the USB fails, I can simply take out the drive and go back to the previous state.
  2. Maybe clearing NVRAM can help? Can I do it from the OC?
As per update I was able to fix it by clearing NVRAM.

Last edited: