Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Loose or slightly damaged cable? Have you tried a different one?
Yup, tried 3 different cables, still same in Mac but in Win11 worked fine.

@CaseySJ
THANK YOU for all the hard work and time!
I have same motherboard as you but with an i9. I was wonder if u could please stir me in the right direction on which files I need to update to as well as which OC version should I also utilize for an update from Big Sur to Monterey via OS update straight from Apple.

@CaseySJ
THANK YOU for all the hard work and time!
I have same motherboard as you but with an i9. I was wonder if u could please stir me in the right direction on which files I need to update to as well as which OC version should I also utilize for an update from Big Sur to Monterey via OS update straight from Apple.
Hello @unsportsmanlike

OpenCore 0.7.8 and newer is recommended for Monterey. Near the top of Post 1 is a list of all OpenCore mini-guides available for this board. Simply follow the link for 0.7.8.

For some reason OC default audio after login is not being remembered and always sets to by default to "headphones" and does not remember the last audio selected before shutdown (internal speakers). It would be nice to have the default audio to be set to internal speakers. currently have alcid = 28 which works for the onboard alc 1220-vb with current EFI setup. any suggestions on how to make alcid = 28 remember default selected audio on shutdown and next boot?

Also a side note. If trying to run IGPU(non-headless) + dGPU together which is possible, boot time on OC will suffer a major boot delay and take almost on average 1.5 minutes longer for login this is because more devices are trying to load before login. tried running dGPU + IGPU for FaceTime to work properly to see other person on video. FaceTime requires for some reason the IGPU to be enabled (headless or non-headless) to see other person on video in FaceTime. FaceTime will work only with IGPU enabled, However sadly can not use both displays IGPU(non-headless) + dGPU at the same time or boot time will suffer significantly !

This is a good question. I’ve struggled with this issue on my Ryzentosh, but not on any of my Intel-based systems. Alas I haven’t found a solution, but since you raised the issue, let’s see if the community can offer a solution.

Which version of macOS is this happening with? I’ve enabled both iGPU (non-headless) and dGPU on my Z490 Vision D without a boot delay. What are the makes/models of your NVMe SSDs?
@thegubatoshchamp,

Here's something to try regarding default audio output selection:
  • First make a full bootable backup of macOS!
  • Then open a Terminal window and type:
Bash:
cd /private/var/folders
sudo rm -rf *
  • This will attempt to delete all folders and subfolders in the /private/var/folders directory that we have permission to delete.
  • Not all folders will be deleted, which is okay. Just ignore any warnings.
  • Then reboot and see if the same audio output is selected by default.

This is a good question. I’ve struggled with this issue on my Ryzentosh, but not on any of my Intel-based systems. Alas I haven’t found a solution, but since you raised the issue, let’s see if the community can offer a solution.

Here's something to try regarding default audio output selection:
  • First make a full bootable backup of macOS!
  • Then open a Terminal window and type:
Bash:
cd /private/var/folders
sudo rm -rf *
  • This will attempt to delete all folders and subfolders in the /private/var/folders directory that we have permission to delete.
  • Not all folders will be deleted, which is okay. Just ignore any warnings.
  • Then reboot and see if the same audio output is selected by default.

I have rigorously cycled through all alcid channels for onboard Z490 Vision D Intel i220-VB audio. For some reason with Intel i9-10900k IGPU and dGPU 6900 xt it only accepts on my setup alcid = 28 which lists/enables all the appropriate sound board devices. I have to manually after each boot and login on menu bar choose internal speaker and manually choose in system settings internal speakers because by changing in menu bar it does not switch in system setting preferences for some odd reason. I will try this idea and report back soon with an answer.

Which version of macOS is this happening with? I’ve enabled both iGPU (non-headless) and dGPU on my Z490 Vision D without a boot delay. What are the makes/models of your NVMe SSDs?

My build is as follows using:
- enabled VT in system BIOS for FaceTime and Windows dual boot support

- enabled internal graphics in system BIOS for FaceTime to work with video for other person. (Using auto will not allow to see video on FaceTime from other person but boot time is normal. when enabling internal iGPU with dGPU as primary PCIe slot 1 boot suffers major heavy delay before login enough to the point where I can grab a meal and run a marathon.)

- running BIOS F21 on Z490 Vision D
- HDMI plugged in to motherboard to lg 4k and display port in on lg 4k monitor
- OpenCore 0.7.9
- macOS 12.3.1
- WD SN750 1 TB (macOS lives on this drive)
- Intel i9-10900k
- Z490 Vision D
- dGPU = factory AMD Radeon 6900 xt
- IGPU (currently using a custom IGPU headless, IGPU intel UHD 630 + dGPU 6900xt boots very slow try my EFI)

Attachments

• IGPU + dGPU - Config.zip
    5.7 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:
So we are safe to go to 12.3.1? System keeps nagging me.

@CaseySJ Hi Casey, I am contemplating at upgrading my system from a Z490 to a Z690 (same config as yours). I was wondering if it was only a matter of copying a working Z690 EFI over my existing EFI and plugging in the NVMe or if I need to reinstall everything.

@CaseySJ Hi Casey, I am contemplating at upgrading my system from a Z490 to a Z690 (same config as yours). I was wondering if it was only a matter of copying a working Z690 EFI over my existing EFI and plugging in the NVMe or if I need to reinstall everything.
I am also thinking about doing the same thing but with a Gigabyte Z690 that uses DDR4 RAM so I can save on some costs. The DDR5 price is a killer.

Back