Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ I'm sad to report the issue still persists. I successfully located the PCI NVMe Windows EFI partition map and added it successfully by following the guide @jd6 kindly posted. It must be a Samsung Pro 970 NVMe or could just be a general NVMe issue because there is currently no way to disable a NVMe M.2 drive in BIOS Z490 Vision D. The only way is to remove the drive completely and then reinstall back on the motherboard is to load Windows OS by itself. I installed Windows 11 separately on Samsung Pro 970 NVMe M.2 in the m2m_sb drive slot which was very easy to locate via openshell.efi UEFI tool. Has anyone been able to completely disable a NVMe drive from showing in boot picker on OC Boot Screen or completely hide from inside macOS disk utility?
Some questions and comments:
  • Why do you want to hide the Windows disk from OpenCore Picker?
  • Is it because Windows does not boot properly from OpenCore Picker?
    • If so, have you tried pressing F12 at Gigabyte splash screen to open the BIOS boot menu and booting Windows from there?
    • Is AppleVTD enabled? If the Windows NVMe SSD is not installed in the M.2 slot closest to CPU, then having AppleVTD enabled may interfere with OpenCore's ability to boot Windows.

Hi, after I have upgraded to Monterey, the Hackintosh suddenly freezes and restart -- the pointer can still be moved, but there is no response wherever I clicked on the dock or the app that I am using.
It happened three times on this day.
The first time, the screensaver is on, after I went out and came back, it had restarted, I logged on and received a bug report.
The second time, I was browsing with Chrome. And it froze.
The third time, I was using Google Meet with Chrome.
Does anyone know what is going on?:crazy:
Not all applications or kernel extensions (kexts) are compatible with Monterey.
  • From which previous version of macOS did you upgrade to Monterey?
  • Let's see which third-party kexts are installed. Please type the following in Terminal and post the output:
Bash:
ls -l /Library/StagedDriverExtensions
ls -l /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions

Not all applications or kernel extensions (kexts) are compatible with Monterey.
  • From which previous version of macOS did you upgrade to Monterey?
  • Let's see which third-party kexts are installed. Please type the following in Terminal and post the output:
Bash:

I have updated for Big Sur 11.6.4.

I seemed found something related to this bug -- After I posted yesterday, I decided to do a flash installation.
I have a 4k 120Hz monitor. I use a DisplayPort 1.2 to connect it.
After installation, the initial output is 1080x1920 60Hz (HiDPI was enabled automatically). I changed the resolution to 2560x1440 and 120Hz. And, then, the screen went black(with backlit) immediately, and the Hackintosh restarted itself after 2-3 minutes. After I logged in, the screen went black(with backlit) again, and I cannot see the desktop, the dock nor the menu bar.

I have reinstalled Big Sur 11.6.4 again and here are the kexts installed (it should be exactly the same as the 1st Monterey upgrading).
It is worth noting that during the 2nd Monterey Installation, I only installed Google Chrome. As far as I remember, there should be no running apps when I was changing the screen resolution in the 2nd time.
(no output)

drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 96 1 1 2020 HighPointIOP.kext
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 96 1 1 2020 HighPointRR.kext
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 96 1 1 2020 SoftRAID.kext
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 96 3 6 01:12 logi_audio_override.kext
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 96 10 5 13:58 ufsd_NTFS.kext

Thanks for the quick reply!

** Update to Latest OpenCore **

Hi @CaseySJ, thanks for all your contributions to stretching life in the Hackintosh.

I'm finally looking to upgrade my ancient build (#2 shown below) to a Z490 Vision D system identical to your system described here in terms of CPU, RAM and NMVe drives. The difference in the systems is that I'd like to dual boot Windows 11 and use a EVGA RTX 2080Ti under Win 11 but disable it under Mac and just use the IGPU. Hopefully it's just a matter of adding the -wegnoegpu boot arg to the config.plist, and setting the BIOS to prefer IGPU.

Before I add the rest of the components to the Z490 I'd love to get your opinion on my likelihood of success. Fortunately, it doesn't have to be 100% since I need a better platform than the Z68X / 2600K to run the RTX card anyway. But if I can delay switching over to the M1 for a few more years, that would be awesome.

PXL_20220309_041031767_2.jpg

Last edited:
Howdy @CaseySJ !

I’ve got a bit of a unique situation and was hoping to get some enlightenment. Perhaps I missed a post during my searches, but I’ve got the following issue:

I’ve got an RX6900 XT with the XTXH chipset running well with its device-id spoofed and 2 monitors hooked up to it via DisplayPort. The third DP port is feeding the DP-In port on the motherboard so I can connect a third display via a CalDigit TS3+ dock. The system will boot up fine and shows all three displays but will crash and reboot about a minute in.

Is this a limitation with the current state of Thunderbolt on the Vision D (without a patched firmware)? Or could this be an issue related to faking the XTXH card to a regular 6900XT?

I don’t need to use the monitor that’s hooked up to the Thunderbolt dock in macOS (it’s actually a TV + dock used in Windows that’s in another room hooked up with a 50ft long cable), but it’d be nice to not have to unplug it every time I’m at the desk working.

Hello! I'm having a really weird fan speed issue that I can't find any information on and only started within the past week or so. I was hoping someone could shed some light or maybe has had the same issue.

I installed an 8TB Seagate HDD and the upon reboot my fans would randomly ramp up to 100% and stay there unless I slept my computer or shut it down. When I wake it back up or reboot they stay calm for a bit but inevitably ramp back up to 100%. At first I thought it was just doing that while it was indexing the new drive which I have a vague memory of this system doing that when indexing new drives from scratch (I moved my boot drive over about a year ago and i believe that happened while indexing but went back to normal fans speeds once that task was over). I forced finder to re-index all of my drives and thought that would fix it but no luck and it still does it randomly even if it isnt indexing drives in the background.

The thing that confuses me the most is that I set my fan curves in the BIOS so I don't see how macOS could be messing with them. I am using the included fan hub that came with my case to run all the fans off one fan header and the curve is set to follow the CPU temp. During my troubleshooting I booted quickly into windows to see if I could get the fans to ramp up but no luck replicating it. It's hard to try and replicate it in windows since I don't know the trigger.

According to the Intel Power Gadget, my temps are only around 27º-30º and I'm not doing anything intensive when this happens and my GPU fans aren't even spinning the temps are so low. Is there possibly a limit on allowed to be installed in the system in macOS? Is there a utility that i should/can use to control my fans instead instead of the BIOS fan curves? All of this had been running 100% fine since I built the computer in late 2020 and the only addition was the 8TB HDD.

My specs are:

OpenCore 0.7.8 (updated OpenCore to see if that would help but nothing changed)
iMac20,2
macOS 10.15.6
10900k - Stock clock speeds. Was going to OC it but needed my computer to be up and running for work at the time and haven't got around to it
Z490 Vision D - f20 BIOS
NZXT Kraken X73 360mm AIO with 3 additional 120mm Thermaltake Pure 12 ARGB fans in push/pull (top mounted)
3 120mm Thermaltake Pure 12 ARGB fans in front
1 140mm stock case fan in the rear for exhaust
Phanteks Entho Evolv X Case
32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram
Gigabye RX5700XT
EVGA Supernova G2 650 watt PSU

1TB WD Black SN750 - boot drive
1TB Intel 660p - audio/video scratch disks for FCPX and Pro Tools
3TB Seagate HDD - more storage
8TB Seagate HDD - more storage
500GB Samsung 850 Evo - Windows 10 mainly used for console emulation and boot into it maybe once every 4-6 months

Howdy @CaseySJ !

I’ve got a bit of a unique situation and was hoping to get some enlightenment. Perhaps I missed a post during my searches, but I’ve got the following issue:

I’ve got an RX6900 XT with the XTXH chipset running well with its device-id spoofed and 2 monitors hooked up to it via DisplayPort. The third DP port is feeding the DP-In port on the motherboard so I can connect a third display via a CalDigit TS3+ dock. The system will boot up fine and shows all three displays but will crash and reboot about a minute in.

Is this a limitation with the current state of Thunderbolt on the Vision D (without a patched firmware)? Or could this be an issue related to faking the XTXH card to a regular 6900XT?

I don’t need to use the monitor that’s hooked up to the Thunderbolt dock in macOS (it’s actually a TV + dock used in Windows that’s in another room hooked up with a 50ft long cable), but it’d be nice to not have to unplug it every time I’m at the desk working.
Did the problem suddenly start? In other words, everything was working fine and then suddenly this problem started with no system or software changes made?

Does the problem happen with only when the 3rd monitor is connected through the dock?

... I am using the included fan hub that came with my case to run all the fans off one fan header and the curve is set to follow the CPU temp. During my troubleshooting I booted quickly into windows to see if I could get the fans to ramp up but no luck replicating it. It's hard to try and replicate it in windows since I don't know the trigger.

According to the Intel Power Gadget, my temps are only around 27º-30º and I'm not doing anything intensive when this happens and my GPU fans aren't even spinning the temps are so low. Is there possibly a limit on allowed to be installed in the system in macOS? Is there a utility that i should/can use to control my fans instead instead of the BIOS fan curves? All of this had been running 100% fine since I built the computer in late 2020 and the only addition was the 8TB HDD.
Some immediate thoughts:
  • Have you tried connecting some of the fans to built-in fan headers on the motherboard instead of plugging them all into the Enthoo fan hub?
  • Is the Enthoo fan hub connected to motherboard via 3-pin or 4-pin fan cable?

Hey all,

I've been running the latest Big Sur install for a while using OpenCore 76, then today I've tried to update to Monterey 12.2.1. The install seemed to go well, but it booted back into Big Sur. I restarted and cleared the NVRAM, then tried the install again. However now it won't boot at all. I have a backup which I restored and tried again and it didn't work.

I have a Monterey USB installer, that I've put the latest EFI on, but that doesn't seem to boot either. Is there a way of doing a fresh reinstall of Monterey? The recovery partition seems to be corrupt too. Or is something in my config (attached) causing issues? I have redacted all the sys info, but otherwise I believe its the same as Casey's from the OpenCore guide.

Any help would be appreciated, but I'm probably not going to get any time to fiddle for a couple of days unfortunately.

Many Thanks
Sam

Attachments

• config redacted.plist
    30.3 KB · Views: 27
Back