Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

** OpenCore 0.7.7 EFI for Z490 Vision D and G **

Monterey -- What Does Not Work:
  • Intel I-225V 2.5GbE Ethernet port is not working at this time for 99% of us.

Hi CaseySJ,

So the 225V Ethernet port is still not working under Monterey, right? I was wondering, why does it work on the Z690 builds instead? On the Vision G, I am holding on the upgrade to Monterey for this very reason.

Hi CaseySJ,

So the 225V Ethernet port is still not working under Monterey, right? I was wondering, why does it work on the Z690 builds instead? On the Vision G, I am holding on the upgrade to Monterey for this very reason.
Yes it’s still not working on some Z490 Vision G and D boards. It works for others but we haven’t found the reason. Meanwhile we can purchase a USB 2.5GbE adapter, which I have done.

Hi Folks. Brand new build using this board and have run into one big snag. First, I got everything working in a dual boot Windows 11 + Monterey 12.1 configuration using two separate NVME drives. Using AMD 6800 XT as primary GPU. I then populated my remaining PCIe slots with a PCIe NVME expansion card and a Sonnet Solo 10g ethernet card.

The issue is that none of my SATA boards on the Vision D appear to be working. They are enabled in the BIOS but after trying different cables and drives in varying combinations, I simply can’t get any of the ports to work. I have the first two NVMe slots filled and the 3rd one (furthest from the CPU) is unpopulated so I could preserve my X4 slot. I know that some of the SATA ports are disabled in this config, but ports 3 & 2 should be working.

The MB came with BIOS 20b, and I’ve not flashed it thinking that it superseded BIOS v20, but now am thinking that perhaps the b stands for ’beta’ and I should flash to v20. Regardless, wondering if anyone has any suggestions for getting SATA ports working. Stupidly, I waited until I had both OSs installed and working off NVMe drives before trying the SATA expansion. Any suggestions?

EDIT: and yes, the ports are enabled in the BIOS.

@misterwiggles

Some questions and comments:
  • Are all SATA ports set to AHCI in BIOS?
  • Are any Intel Optane drives installed?
  • Is the Intel Optane driver installed in Windows?
  • Which NVMe PCIe expansion card are you using? Does it require you to enable PCIe Bifurcation in BIOS?
  • Have you tested the SATA ports/drives without the NVMe PCIe expansion card installed?

Hi @CaseySJ, I have not used Monterey for a while but when I logged in this ,morning with the latest EFI from Hackindrom which works on Big Sur, my WIFI does not show up anymore.
Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 7.26.49 AM.png

Hi @CaseySJ, I have not used Monterey for a while but when I logged in this ,morning with the latest EFI from Hackindrom which works on Big Sur, my WIFI does not show up anymore.
Hello @suren6791,

I'm a bit confused:
  • The latest OpenCore EFI works in Big Sur with no WiFi issues?
  • The latest OpenCore EFI loses WiFi in Monterey?
Additionally:
  • What was the previous version of OpenCore?
  • Have you seen the OpenCore 0.7.7 Mini-Guide (there's link in HackinDROM and also a link at the top of Post 1 of this thread)?
  • Are you using Intel WiFi or Broadcom WiFi?

Hello @suren6791,

I'm a bit confused:
  • The latest OpenCore EFI works in Big Sur with no WiFi issues?
  • The latest OpenCore EFI loses WiFi in Monterey?
Additionally:
  • What was the previous version of OpenCore?
  • Have you seen the OpenCore 0.7.7 Mini-Guide (there's link in HackinDROM and also a link at the top of Post 1 of this thread)?
  • Are you using Intel WiFi or Broadcom WiFi?
HI Casey, see my reply below:

• The latest OpenCore EFI works in Big Sur with no WiFi issues? Yes it works
  • The latest OpenCore EFI loses WiFi in Monterey? Yes
  • What was the previous version of OpenCore? Your 0.7.6
  • Have you seen the OpenCore 0.7.7 Mini-Guide (there's link in HackinDROM and also a link at the top of Post 1 of this thread)? Yes, i upgraded my EFI using Hackindrom
  • Are you using Intel WiFi or Broadcom WiFi? Intel

@misterwiggles

Some questions and comments:
  • Are all SATA ports set to AHCI in BIOS?
  • Are any Intel Optane drives installed?
  • Is the Intel Optane driver installed in Windows?
  • Which NVMe PCIe expansion card are you using? Does it require you to enable PCIe Bifurcation in BIOS?
  • Have you tested the SATA ports/drives without the NVMe PCIe expansion card installed?
I had tried all these suggestions prior to posting. And confirmed the correct BIOS settings. No, the NVME expansion PCIe card doesn’t require anything. It was recognized just fine by both Windows and MacOS and I formatted it with MacOS.

I finally just reflashed the BIOS using v20 to replace v20b. Thought that would do it. Nope. Made it worse as I lost access to USB keyboard and mouse so I had no control to get into BIOS again. I finally, in desperation, reset the CMOS by pulling the battery and shorting the jumper on the MB. I kept rebooting and moving the keyboard around to different USB slots and I finally got one recognized. The CMOS thing did the trick I think and the when I got into the BIOS I confirmed that the SATA port #3 was seeing the SSD I had connected. Finally! Thought I’d have to reinstall all the OSs but when I rebooted I was able to boot into Windows 11 to format the sata SSD. Then, holding my breath, I reconfig the BIOS into the proper MacOS settings as you per your guide and then booted into the WD NVMe for Monterey 12.1 that I had installed previously. It just booted up as if there had been no issues. All good. Now I just need to get the Sonnet Solo 10g card working using the method posted here somewhere. And my Fenvi card arrives tomorrow for bluetooth and WIFI, so hopefully that just works so I don’t have to send it back. Hope this helps anyone else who finds themselves in my spot. I recommend you confirm SATA ports working BEFORE you do everything else!

HI Casey, see my reply below:

• The latest OpenCore EFI works in Big Sur with no WiFi issues? Yes it works
  • The latest OpenCore EFI loses WiFi in Monterey? Yes
  • What was the previous version of OpenCore? Your 0.7.6
  • Have you seen the OpenCore 0.7.7 Mini-Guide (there's link in HackinDROM and also a link at the top of Post 1 of this thread)? Yes, i upgraded my EFI using Hackindrom
  • Are you using Intel WiFi or Broadcom WiFi? Intel
Please post a screenshot of OpenCore Configurator --> Kernel section. Widen the window so we can see which kexts are enabled or disabled.

Back