Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

This may be of interest to users of Gigabyte boards with TH3.

This may be of interest to users of Gigabyte boards with TH3.

I always thought the initial speculation of Apple dropping Thunderbolt was a knee-jerk reaction to the Transition Developer Kit (TDK) not having Thunderbolt 3 ports. Apple jointly developed Thunderbolt with Intel so it's still somewhat organic.

It will, however, be interesting to see how Apple replaces the Mac Pro with an Apple Silicon equivalent. Will it have PCIe slots and hence ACPI? Will we be able to run AMD GPUs? (Thunderbolt is in effect the externalization of PCIe slots.)

Hi @CaseySJ, still testing, but wanted to report back. Both appear to work well in macOS Catalina. Hotplug, sleep work etc. Hotplug of thunderbolt devices work, but not hotplug of USB3 devices. Upon hotplugging a USB-C Samsung T5 drive, it comes on, but doesn't load. This is true of all 3 .AML files (original plus two experimental). However, with original, and experimental2 aml files, USB3 devices load if connected to thunderbolt controller on cold boot.

But with both experimental .AML files, Thunderbolt does not work in windows for me, whether from cold boot or warm boot on Bios 5a on the flashed Vision D NVM 50 TB firmware. I haven't tried modifying DROM with either .AML file. The original z490-TB3 aml as per post #1 (with modified DROM) works in windows with warm boot only.

Curiously, when I boot into windows on warm boot, a message pops up saying a thunderbolt controller has experienced an error, and firmware needs to be updated before devices can connect. On warm boot, the thunderbolt device is clearly connected, but it doesn't start, and in Device Manager, there's a symbol on the attached device that it's experienced an error.
Thank you for testing. I posted those files without testing them because of a very busy day yesterday. Those SSDTs attempt to reset the Titan Ridge controller back into Internal Connection Manager (ICM) mode, which is the mode needed by Windows and Linux. Will run some tests myself, but this can take a couple of days.
One thing you didn't specify, and I haven't tested is, when picking Windows OS at boot time, am i to pick it from Opencore, or from Vision D's F12 OS picker? I've been using the Opencore picker.
It should be okay to use either of those boot methods for Windows.
Finally one caveat: in post 869 you mentioned the following:
Comment: disable \_GPE.TINI (Zero, RPS0, RPT0, Zero)
Find: FF5C2E5F 47504554 494E4900 52505330 52505430 00
Replace : FFA3A3A3 A3A3A3A3 A3A3A3A3 A3A3A3A3 A3A3A3A3 A3

I haven't disabled this ACPI patch in my testing. Should it matter?
Good question. Please try again without this change (just disable the patch by un-checking it in OpenCore Configurator).

it's the VISION G and not the VISION D on his screenshot. I was confused as well.

It's interesting though that F4 is listed for the VISION D again and it has a more current date than the F5a...

Yep, I'm an idiot for doing this so late at night...I'm going to upgrade to F5a for the Vision D board. I have no clue why they show F4 with a later date than F5a...

Will we be able to run AMD GPUs? (Thunderbolt is in effect the externalization of PCIe slots.)

Apple's fall out with Nvidia was about their, Nvidia's, refusal to support Metal in favour of OpenGL (if memory serves me right). AMD saw their opportunity and played along. I don't think it will be long now before AMD is dropped and Apple use their own silicon exclusively for both processors and GPUs. Whilst we still have supported Intel Macs we will have AMD GPU support, so we are good for a few years yet.

Good question. Please try again without this change (just disable the patch by un-checking it in OpenCore Configurator).

removing the ACPI patch enables thunderbolt functionality on warm boot in windows using AML2. I haven’t tested AML1 yet.

Thunderbolt on Cold boot isn’t working with AML2.

** Mini-Guide for Viewing, Editing and Verifying Thunderbolt DROM
with ThunderboltUtil **

Does it mean there may be a way to enable Thunderbolt's "Extended Mode" without flashing?

Does it mean there may be a way to enable Thunderbolt's "Extended Mode" without flashing?

My wish is YES from someone who knows :) ... hey, genius guys, what do you think ? ...

Newbie here with a question about wiring. I've never built a PC from scratch but have ordered parts to build a Hackintosh using Intel i9-10900k (still waiting for this part) with a Vision D board in a NZXT 710i case. My question has to do with the use of the NZXT lighting and fan controller. My assumption is that the best wiring solution for lights and fans would be to connect lights to NZXT controller but connect fans to the motherboard so that Mac OS X SMC can control the fans. Then use a combination of liquidctl and RGB Fusion 2.0 to control the lights. Is this the best solution?

Thanks

Rand

My wish is YES from someone who knows :) ... hey, genius guys, what do you think ? ...
In the Designare Z390 thread we did just that -- we used a heavily modified SSDT to enable Thunderbolt Bus and Local Node without flashing the firmware. However -- and this is what killed that experiment -- we found that 20 seconds after logging in, the Thunderbolt Controller would reset or otherwise stop working. Weeks of effort to find a solution were lost in vain, so we wrote a new chapter on firmware flashing and never looked back.

Last edited:
Back