Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

@canyondust and @lightmanrt have you seen any issues using the F21 BIOS? Hot plug still working, and stability fine under stress (Adobe/protools, etc.) And is your TB3 chip the stock firmware, or did you flash it?
Hi @asharkey I haven't had any problems with the BIOS, but I'm on a Vision G with no Thunderbolt card so I can't speak to any hot plug issues. Stability has been fine under stress, but with my particular chip, I'm running a fixed voltage of 1.280v, and loadline calibration: low. Anything less than that voltage results in crashes under load. (But that has been consistent across ALL BIOS versions.)

Over the holidays, I dug out my Syba SD-PEX24055 10GbE card to see if I could get it working again. So far, I've only had mixed results, and now I need some help. Is anyone using that Syba card with this build?

In Windows 10, it works fine. Catalina 10.15.7 is generally fine, though it sometimes doesn't work after a restart. In Big Sur 11.6 and Monterey 12.1, is doesn't work at all. I do have the AQC 107 10 GbE v2 Kernal->Patch enabled in the latest OC 0.7.6 build from this thread.

BIOS is F20. I have tried F5 and F7 with no improvement. I have enabled and disabled on-board LAN with no change. I have WOL disabled in all of the macOSes at least.

I've also been referencing this thread on tonymac and this thread on insanelymac. I've tried some of the suggestions with no change.

One of the biggest issues is that this card prevents both Windows and macOS(es) from sleeping and shutting down. If I shutdown, the computer will just reboot. If any OS tries to sleep, it will just wake up (after a long while it'll crash/freeze). I've also tried removing my Fenvi FV-T919 with no change. I'm loathe to buy a new 10GbE card if anyone has had success with that card and this build, but that might be the next step. Thanks in advance if anyone has any suggestions.

I have had no issues at all with the F21 BIOS. Photoshop, Premiere and LRC all work. Issues with Premier needing the Clear Cache before opening a recent file a is a Monterey/Adobe issue. Protools file with 32 channel and 145 plug-ins fine. TB3 not flashed. No problems with it. I have one TB3 disk enclosure and one TB2 enclosure 4 drives no problem. Boot time is better also.
Great to know! Nearly same setup as you. Just i9 10900k and Saphire 5700xt. I'm using my hack mainly for FCPX/LOGIC with a TB3 hub from OWC. Thanks for the update!

Over the holidays, I dug out my Syba SD-PEX24055 10GbE card to see if I could get it working again. So far, I've only had mixed results, and now I need some help. Is anyone using that Syba card with this build?

In Windows 10, it works fine. Catalina 10.15.7 is generally fine, though it sometimes doesn't work after a restart. In Big Sur 11.6 and Monterey 12.1, is doesn't work at all. I do have the AQC 107 10 GbE v2 Kernal->Patch enabled in the latest OC 0.7.6 build from this thread.

BIOS is F20. I have tried F5 and F7 with no improvement. I have enabled and disabled on-board LAN with no change. I have WOL disabled in all of the macOSes at least.

I've also been referencing this thread on tonymac and this thread on insanelymac. I've tried some of the suggestions with no change.

One of the biggest issues is that this card prevents both Windows and macOS(es) from sleeping and shutting down. If I shutdown, the computer will just reboot. If any OS tries to sleep, it will just wake up (after a long while it'll crash/freeze). I've also tried removing my Fenvi FV-T919 with no change. I'm loathe to buy a new 10GbE card if anyone has had success with that card and this build, but that might be the next step. Thanks in advance if anyone has any suggestions.
I'm using with great success the TP-Link 401 on two hacks running Big Sur, communicating directly together on the same subnet. Inexpensive card - only $129 AUD.

Works without a kext. Just need the correct kernel patch in the config.plist. I followed the insanelymac thread to get it up and running in no time.

Read the first post for instructions on setting up.
Code:
Kext to patch
com.apple.driver.AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion

Find
41C70424 00000000 E9

Replace
41C70424 01000000 E9

comment
Marvell AQC107 10GBE Patch

sounds like Monterey is a bit more work to setup. But no issues in latest big sur.

Thanks for being the guinea pigs, @canyondust and @lightmanrt.

I can confirm that my Vision D Z490 is working fine with BIOS F21 and TB3 hot plug working as expected and as did on F5. Boot time does seem faster.

Running 11.6.1, iMac20,2, Sapphire 5700 XT, and an OWC TB3 Dock.

Have not tried any stress tests with Pro Apps such as FCPX/Adobe CC. However, I will advise if any issues.

Rest of My Build:
TP-Link 401 10G Ethernet Card
Fenvi T-919
4 Port Marvell SATA Hub
WD Black OS Drive
WD Green W10 Drive
Samsung 970 Plus 2TB Scratch Disk
6x8tb Seagate Ironwolfs running in a RAID 1+0 Softraid Array

@CaseySJ man, what a manual!! On a scale from 1-10, I'd say 20 !!! You're my new hackintosh Guru ;)

Thank you so much CaseySJ for you efforts. I had an Asus Z490 Prime A board and recently changed to this Z490 Gigabyte vision D due to the thunderbolt capability. I went ahead and flashed the onboard thunderbolt chip with the firmware you created and has been super solid! Thank you once again for your efforts!

One issue I have noticed is that my core acceleration stays at 3.7GHZ. I have a 10850K which was getting up to 5.2ghz in my old Asus z490 board. I can actually get acceleration to work by selecting "Custom" in Smbiosmode under platform and also enabling the customSmbiosGuid under Kernal. The issue with this is that I lose my apple credentials and cannot login into any apple icloud services.

I have attached my EFI and you be ever so grateful if you could help me with this. It's my last hurdle in getting this golden build working.

Thank you,

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    10.6 MB · Views: 59
Hi all and happy New Year !
No update of OpenCore 0.77 yet? :)
Not in a real hurry, everything is smooth....
I expect it to be released on Monday the 10th.

Thank you so much CaseySJ for you efforts. I had an Asus Z490 Prime A board and recently changed to this Z490 Gigabyte vision D due to the thunderbolt capability. I went ahead and flashed the onboard thunderbolt chip with the firmware you created and has been super solid! Thank you once again for your efforts!

One issue I have noticed is that my core acceleration stays at 3.7GHZ. I have a 10850K which was getting up to 5.2ghz in my old Asus z490 board. I can actually get acceleration to work by selecting "Custom" in Smbiosmode under platform and also enabling the customSmbiosGuid under Kernal. The issue with this is that I lose my apple credentials and cannot login into any apple icloud services.

I have attached my EFI and you be ever so grateful if you could help me with this. It's my last hurdle in getting this golden build working.

Thank you,
The OpenCore folder in this build thread has:
  • Kernel --> CustomSMBIOSGuid = Enabled
  • PlatformInfo --> UpdateSMBIOSMode = Custom
But we haven't encountered any issues with AppleID or iCloud services. Some comments:
  • Have you checked whether your Serial Number has been registered by a real Apple Mac?
  • Have you tried resetting NVRAM?
  • Are you also unable to use FaceTime and Messages?

Back