2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
  2. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Let's assume for a moment that bootable backups are no longer an option and we have (a) many third-party licensed applications, (b) many third-party licensed plug-ins, (c) lots of project files, data files, etc.

We know that:
  • macOS system files are installed in their own APFS sealed volume.
  • All of our applications, plug-ins, project files, data files, etc. are stored on the "data" volume.
We can:
  • Make full and incremental backups of the "data" volume freely.
    • Understandably, this is the 'stuff' that's most important to us.
In the event of a system crash or other major or minor disaster:
  • We can reformat the internal SSD and reinstall macOS from scratch.
  • We can then clone our backed-up "data" volume to the internal "data" volume that is located in the same volume groupas the newly installed macOS.
    • Question 1: Is this viable?
    • Question 2: If not viable, then we can clone our backed-up data volume to a new APFS volume created on the internal SSD.
  • We can then go to System Preferences --> Users & Groups --> Advanced and point our home directory to the restored data volume.
So total recovery time would be:
  • Time to install macOS from scratch
  • Time to clone backup "data" volume to new internal data volume
Does anyone see a technical glitch in this scenario?
Just the time factor, which is why some of us keep bootable backups. Time to continue working is the time it takes up plug in a drive and restart.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i9-10850K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
I think my long boot time issue is probably not related to Samsung 970 EVO SSD. It is probably related to a software issue. I will get an apple logo and loading bar at the beginning of the booting process and then my screen went black for 30~60 seconds then I will get into the Apple login page. Which means that I won't be able to see that loading bar filled up as my computer is booting? @CaseySJ any idea of that?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision G
CPU
i5-10500
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Just to know: I created the USB with Monterey Install, boot my hack and formatting the Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB will be really slow to erase with Disk Utility, about 2 minutes, will be normal maybe!?!?! I don't know, but to slow too formatting... now I'll install a clean copy of Monterey... I will to know in a short

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i7 10700K
Graphics
Sapphire RX 6900TX
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I think my long boot time issue is probably not related to Samsung 970 EVO SSD. It is probably related to a software issue. I will get an apple logo and loading bar at the beginning of the booting process and then my screen went black for 30~60 seconds then I will get into the Apple login page. Which means that I won't be able to see that loading bar filled up as my computer is booting? @CaseySJ any idea of that?
I have given up on Samsung 970 EVO, and changed to WD SN750.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
OK, I reinstalled Monterey on an Inland Premium 2TB NVME and then restored settings and files from my CCC backup disk via the Transfer Assistant.

Boot time is now 23 seconds vs close to two minutes on the Samsung 970 plus
See if trim is enabled.

Motherboard
Asus Z490 Prime A
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
you might have revision 1, or 3, some posts said rev 2 works.

my z490i has rev 1, not working.
How do I understand which version has in place on my motherboard (Asus Z490-Prime a)?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 5600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
After update to Monterey 12.0.1 my Bluetooth crashed (IntelBluetoothFirmware). I used fresh BlueToolFixup, but it didn't help.
I tried to reboot with clean NVRAM / deleted Bluetooth plist - it did not help.
Then I did some magic and now it works:
1. turn on/off Bluetooth (it freezes)
2. open terminal -> enter `pgrep bluetooth | xargs sudo kill`
3. enter `bluetoothd`
4. turn on/off bluetooth
Then after few moments I got kernel panic, and, after reboot my Bluetooth works without any problem.