Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 56
I can also confirm that the boot time on my wifes little hackintosh has increased with Monterey using a 970 as well..
I am in the process of trying to clone my system from my 970 onto a Inland Premium, which uses a different controller.
Having some trouble getting a bootable copy using Carbon Copy Cloner. I have been out of the loop for a little while, so maybe things have changed and CCC is not the prefered method of migrating a system from one disk to another anymore?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z590 Vision D
CPU
i5-11600K
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Because not everyone with a Samsung 970 Evo or Evo Plus is experiencing (or reporting) slow boot times with Monterey, the jury is still out on the exact cause. But @manfriday saw this in his boot log:
Code:
kernel: (apfs) spaceman_scan_free_blocks:3153: disk5 scan took 0.921803 s, trim took 93.611921 s
Notice that trim took over 93 seconds. But setting SetApfsTrimTimeout to 999 (i.e. disable trim) did not make a difference.

Some of the drives I use (without any slow boot issue) are:
  • Silicon Power
  • ADATA SX series
  • Sabrent Rocket
  • Crucial P1/P2
Just thinking to buy Crucial P5 Plus 1TB high performances... what do you think about this?
Thank you for your help!

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I can also confirm that the boot time on my wifes little hackintosh has increased with Monterey using a 970 as well..
I am in the process of trying to clone my system from my 970 onto a Inland Premium, which uses a different controller.
Having some trouble getting a bootable copy using Carbon Copy Cloner. I have been out of the loop for a little while, so maybe things have changed and CCC is not the prefered method of migrating a system from one disk to another anymore?
Simple procedure:
  • Format the Inland Premium SSD as:
    • Format: APFS
    • Scheme: GUID Partition Map
  • Use CCC to make a clone. Don't worry about "EFIClone.sh" script.
  • When clone is done, mount EFI partitions of (a) Samsung SSD and (b) Inland Premium SSD.
    • Use Finder to drag-and-drop the EFI folder from (a) to (b)
  • Bootable backup done.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Just thinking to buy Crucial P5 Plus 1TB high performances... what do you think about this?
Thank you for your help!
That's a very tempting price for 1TB PCIe 4.0! Looks like a good choice.

Might want to wait a little bit for @manfriday to switch from Samsung 970 to Inland Premium to determine whether boot time becomes normal...

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 56
Simple procedure:
  • Format the Inland Premium SSD as:
    • Format: APFS
    • Scheme: GUID Partition Map
  • Use CCC to make a clone. Don't worry about "EFIClone.sh" script.
  • When clone is done, mount EFI partitions of (a) Samsung SSD and (b) Inland Premium SSD.
    • Use Finder to drag-and-drop the EFI folder from (a) to (b)
  • Bootable backup done.
Yeah that is exactly what I did.
But when I boot, OC sees the MacOS volume on the Samsung, and an EFI volume, but not the newly imaged "Monterey" volume on the Inland Premium.

weird.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 56
Last edited:

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i7-10700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've just updated my Hackintosh to Monterey. 25 minutes and a few automatic reboots.

Smooth and easy process! :)

Z490 Vision D + i7 10700 + RX580 (OC 0.7.4)

Boot time: 1 min. aprox. (1 TB WD Black SN750 NVMe)

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i9-10850K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
I am going to install macOS Monterey and see if it will resolve the long boot time issue. Currently, my Sidecar is not working under Big Sur 11.6. Does anyone have any idea how to fix that? My Hackintosh detect my iPad Pro. But it just get black screen on my iPad Pro when I tried to connect it, and I got the error code 401 and 455. I have tried sign in and out of my iCloud account on both my Hackintosh and iPad but it does not work. I am currently running the iMacPro 1,1 config with internal graphics disabled. Someone mentioned that Sidecar requires internal graphics enabled to work, is that true? @CaseySJ