- May 25, 2012
- Gigabyte Z690 Aero G
- i9 12900K
- RX 6800 XT
- Mobile Phone
@CaseySJ the temptation is, and has always been irresistible. I have experimented since 2012 and will continue to do so (provided you are also). I am in love with our community.I have also taken the plunge on M1 Max with a 14" model.
But my Z490 Vision D and other Hackintoshes shall continue to be used quite extensively for at least the near term.
- My main system is still the original late 2018 Gigabyte Z390 Designare that replaced a 2008 Mac Pro 3,1.
- This system might eventually be replaced with an Apple Silicon desktop computer, but probably not for about 18 to 24 months.
- With Alder Lake due to be released in 2 weeks, it will be very tempting to experiment with it. The enthusiast in me will probably not be able to resist. (This doesn't mean I will, it just means I'll think about it!)
- The Apple Silicon desktop computer may come in three forms:
- Mac mini
- This could be exceedingly tempting in both (a) technology and (b) price despite the lack of internal expansion slots
- But this will use similar SoC as the new laptops, i.e. memory and SSD are fixed at time of purchase
- Small form factor Mac Pro
- This could be another worthy contender to replace my Z390 Designare
- This could have expandable memory (DIMM slots) and possibly NVMe slots (current Mac Pro also has NVMe slots)
- But after spending $$$$ on the 14" M1 Max, my wallet will need an 18-24 month reprieve
- Full size Mac Pro
- Could be prohibitively expensive, but no one outside of Apple knows at this time
- I am already ruling this out for me
A few years back I reached out on a limb by adopting the Z390 and eventually the Z490 architecture for our production systems. They have been stable and performed flawlessly.
My concern stems from the absolute power contained and available within the Apple Silicon platform. It can not be ignored. We will, if available, acquire the described small form factor MacPro, as it will be perfect for our needs.
In the mean time, I have an order for two 16" Max to be used in clamshell mode, and get rid of two Z490s.
The saga continues........