Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ What is a normal boot time from this z490 vision D build? I have 32 GB ram in my build and planning to expand to 64 GB. Currently, it takes 1 minute and 30 sec to boot from OS picker to apple login page and I got black screen for 30 sec during the process. Is that normal?

@CaseySJ What is a normal boot time from this z490 vision D build? I have 32 GB ram in my build and planning to expand to 64 GB. Currently, it takes 1 minute and 30 sec to boot from OS picker to apple login page and I got black screen for 30 sec during the process. Is that normal?
Ouch, that is definitely not normal. Boot time for me (from NVMe SSD) is less than 30 seconds after selecting boot disk in OpenCore Picker.

Suggestions:
  • BIOS Setup --> CSM Support --> Enable
  • At OpenCore Picker, press and release CMD-Vto enable Verbose mode. If there's a large pause during startup, make a note of last couple of the log messages during the pause.
    • Of course, if the screen goes blank for 30 seconds, there's nothing to note down for that particular pause.
  • If you're using HDMI, try switching to DP.
  • If you're using DP, try switching to HDMI.
  • Connect only 1 monitor (if you have more than one).
  • Perform CMOS Reset, then configure all BIOS parameters again starting with F7 (Load Optimized Defaults).

One more comment (and I'll stop, I promise!) about my hacks: Windows 11 is terrific, and if Apple goes the route of "no bootable clones" which Mike Bombich (Carbon Copy Cloner) has said they will, I'm really not sure what I will do because it's been a godsend to have bootable backup clones. Very very useful that they can be USB bootable backup clones. Saved my bacon several times.

Now you can have bootable backup clones in Windows, you just can't do that with USB drives. But that only works because you can open the case and insert a drive if you need to. Now can you do that with Apples' machines? Only the Mac Pro (I think), that is the only current macOS computer that will allow that access to the internals of the case so you could connect a SATA (or maybe a NVME) drive. So if USB bootable clones go away on macOS, boy, that's not great.

So, I may just go Windows 11. It all depends on what happens next year.....

• Replace the files inside EFI/OC/Tools with the new versions you downloaded.
      • CFG-Lock.efi is not part of OpenCore so don't replace this file.

@CaseySJ , Did you mean here to replace the whole folder (except CFG-Lock.efi file) OR replace the existing files? I tired both ways, but getting non-graphical menu of 0.7.4 and it seems it can not fully recognize my bootable devices (did not have this issue on 0.6.3)

1. Windows
2. EFI
3. EFI
4. Install macOS Catalina (external)
5. OpenSHekll.efi

After choosing either 2 or 3 (I suspect these may be my 2 cloned Catalina system drives), I'm getting:

OCB: StartImage failed - Unsupported

Any idea what it could be?

Btw - I do have CFGLock.efi rather than CFG-Lock.efi mentioned in your manual. I'm assuming it is a typo. Otherwise the instructions have been followed to the t. Windows is being loaded fine through that menu

Ouch, that is definitely not normal. Boot time for me (from NVMe SSD) is less than 30 seconds after selecting boot disk in OpenCore Picker.

Suggestions:
  • BIOS Setup --> CSM Support --> Enable
  • At OpenCore Picker, press and release CMD-Vto enable Verbose mode. If there's a large pause during startup, make a note of last couple of the log messages during the pause.
    • Of course, if the screen goes blank for 30 seconds, there's nothing to note down for that particular pause.
  • If you're using HDMI, try switching to DP.
  • If you're using DP, try switching to HDMI.
  • Connect only 1 monitor (if you have more than one).
  • Perform CMOS Reset, then configure all BIOS parameters again starting with F7 (Load Optimized Defaults).
Do you think the slow boot time got something do with my Samsung 970 Evo NVME 1TB SSD?

@CaseySJ , Did you mean here to replace the whole folder (except CFG-Lock.efi file) OR replace the existing files?
Either one is okay.

I tired both ways, but getting non-graphical menu of 0.7.4 and it seems it can not fully recognize my bootable devices (did not have this issue on 0.6.3)
This is most likely due to outdated EFI/OC/Resources folder. Please do this:
  • Delete the entire EFI/OC/Resources folder.
  • Replace it with the one from OC 0.7.4 EFI ZIP file.
  • Reboot. Does OpenCanopy GUI appear?

1. Windows
2. EFI
3. EFI
4. Install macOS Catalina (external)
5. OpenSHekll.efi

After choosing either 2 or 3 (I suspect these may be my 2 cloned Catalina system drives), I'm getting:

OCB: StartImage failed - Unsupported
This is a common issue. Simply go to BIOS Setup --> Boot. The first boot priority is most likely OpenCore. Change the first boot priority to the name of the physical disk. Save BIOS changes and exit. The OCB: StartImage failed message should disappear.

Do you think the slow boot time got something do with my Samsung 970 Evo NVME 1TB SSD?
How much free space is available on the 970 EVO NVMe SSD? Depending on amount of free space, it is possible that boot times on Samsung drives can be slowed down.

Either one is okay.

This is most likely due to outdated EFI/OC/Resources folder. Please do this:
  • Delete the entire EFI/OC/Resources folder.
  • Replace it with the one from OC 0.7.4 EFI ZIP file.
  • Reboot. Does OpenCanopy GUI appear?

This is a common issue. Simply go to BIOS Setup --> Boot. The first boot priority is most likely OpenCore. Change the first boot priority to the name of the physical disk. Save BIOS changes and exit. The OCB: StartImage failed message should disappear.

Thanks @CaseySJ , it is weird - Resources folder in the 0.7.4 zip file came with the structure only but no files .. Is that normal? Shall I try to download again or shall I still go ahead with replacement?

I will check your BIOS suggestions to keep the boot going. Thanks for helping!!

Question for the room. I have just ordered a Noctua CPU cooler (one of many I have had). My i7 gets to 100C with the stock cooler and no overclock doing video transcoding. It seems to thermal throttle at 100C. First, this seems like a pretty high temp to start throttling. And I'm wondering if Intel just expects most people to run them this way. Or if the Gigabyte board doesn't drive the fan hard enough compared to what Intel expects. I expect the Noctua to resolve my cooling issues, but I'm wondering what the average buyer who just expects it work is in for. I'm very confident you really don't want the CPU running hot enough to boil water. In the past I have strived to limit CPU temps to the 75 to 80C range MAX. BTW, the cooler has been barely adequate the whole time I have owned the board running MacOS. I have only recently started doing video, so suddenly I have a cooling issue.

How much free space is available on the 970 EVO NVMe SSD? Depending on amount of free space, it is possible that boot times on Samsung drives can be slowed down.
I have a lot of space available since I just install Mac OS on it.(I have about 850+ gbs free space in that drive) What nvme ssd drive do you recommend for this Hackintosh build? Also, is it true that more ram I have the slower the boot time?

Back