Screenshot 2021-10-24 at 05.43.37.png
    241 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot 2021-10-24 at 05.43.30.png
    Screenshot 2021-10-24 at 05.43.30.png
    356.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot 2021-10-24 at 05.43.22.png
    Screenshot 2021-10-24 at 05.43.22.png
    424.8 KB · Views: 23
I have also taken the plunge on M1 Max with a 14" model.

But my Z490 Vision D and other Hackintoshes shall continue to be used quite extensively for at least the near term.
  • My main system is still the original late 2018 Gigabyte Z390 Designare that replaced a 2008 Mac Pro 3,1.
  • This system might eventually be replaced with an Apple Silicon desktop computer, but probably not for about 18 to 24 months.
  • With Alder Lake due to be released in 2 weeks, it will be very tempting to experiment with it. The enthusiast in me will probably not be able to resist. (This doesn't mean I will, it just means I'll think about it!)
  • The Apple Silicon desktop computer may come in three forms:
    • Mac mini
      • This could be exceedingly tempting in both (a) technology and (b) price despite the lack of internal expansion slots
      • But this will use similar SoC as the new laptops, i.e. memory and SSD are fixed at time of purchase
    • Small form factor Mac Pro
      • This could be another worthy contender to replace my Z390 Designare
      • This could have expandable memory (DIMM slots) and possibly NVMe slots (current Mac Pro also has NVMe slots)
      • But after spending $$$$ on the 14" M1 Max, my wallet will need an 18-24 month reprieve
    • Full size Mac Pro
      • Could be prohibitively expensive, but no one outside of Apple knows at this time
      • I am already ruling this out for me
@CaseySJ the temptation is, and has always been irresistible. I have experimented since 2012 and will continue to do so (provided you are also). I am in love with our community.

A few years back I reached out on a limb by adopting the Z390 and eventually the Z490 architecture for our production systems. They have been stable and performed flawlessly.

My concern stems from the absolute power contained and available within the Apple Silicon platform. It can not be ignored. We will, if available, acquire the described small form factor MacPro, as it will be perfect for our needs.

In the mean time, I have an order for two 16" Max to be used in clamshell mode, and get rid of two Z490s.

The saga continues........

Tony.

I use the following (not both on the same machine at the same time):
  • HWMonitorSMC2
  • iStatistica Pro (from Mac App Store; there's a free non-pro version as well)
  • iStatMenus
We can monitor, but not control.
I used iStatMenus currently, but it does not show my 6900 XT temperature for some reason? What could be the cause of that? Please let me know and thank you again!

This is most commonly due to AppleVTD being enabled. If you refer to the OpenCore 0.7.3 mini-guide in this thread, you'll find a link to a post that describes how to fully enable and fully disable AppleVTD. Follow the section on fully disabling AppleVTD, then see if Windows 10 will boot through OpenCore Picker.
@CaseySJ I followed your instructions to disable AppleVTD, now I can boot windows from the opencore picker, thank you so much! Also, I was wondering if its normal that my boot time is about 1 minute 10 sec from opencore picker to MacOS login page? Did I do something wrong that my boot time is so long?

The latest beta of OC, 0.7.5, has an option that fixes the Smart Access Memory / Resizable Bar issue, i.e it can be left enabled whether you boot macOS or Windows. I'm sure @CaseySJ will include this in his configs when 0.7.5 is officially released.

If you don't want to wait a week or 2 then you can download and compile it yourself.
Thank you for letting me know, but I guess I will wait for @CaseySJ since I am still a newbie in the Hackintosh world and I don't want mess anything up in my rig at this point lol!

Thank you! made those 4 changes and reset NVRAM in the picker and no dice. The others are still working though. Of note - I get and error message when I first open Open Core Configurator... attached here. Why does it say that? This is before I load the config.plist file. Is this something to be concerned about? Those two ports do work when I boot to the Catalina volume. thanks so much
It’s quite likely that your system is booting from the wrong disk. Try pressing F12 at Gigabyte Splash screen to open the BIOS boot menu, then select the correct start disk. We can also check disk boot priority in BIOS Setup —> Boot.

Well, no more warning message at loading Open Core !
However I still can't get BT activated :(
Do you have Windows on this system? If so, it may be necessary to perform a cold start after any Windows session.

@CaseySJ the temptation is, and has always been irresistible. I have experimented since 2012 and will continue to do so (provided you are also). I am in love with our community.

A few years back I reached out on a limb by adopting the Z390 and eventually the Z490 architecture for our production systems. They have been stable and performed flawlessly.

My concern stems from the absolute power contained and available within the Apple Silicon platform. It can not be ignored. We will, if available, acquire the described small form factor MacPro, as it will be perfect for our needs.

In the mean time, I have an order for two 16" Max to be used in clamshell mode, and get rid of two Z490s.

The saga continues........

Tony.
Yes, this is the big question that will weigh on many of our minds! I have to admit, however, that Hackintosh and the DIY spirit it embodies provides a wonderful sense of satisfaction and pride. It’s not quite the same when we push the buy button on a website and a ready-to-use thingy arrives at our door! :) On the other hand, ready-to-use definitely has its place. The next few months (12-24) are certainly going to be interesting in our Hackintosh world.

Last edited:
I used iStatMenus currently, but it does not show my 6900xt temperature for some reason? What could be the cause of that? Please let me know and thank you again!
GPU monitoring can be tricky. Please try HWMonitorSMC2. If you search this thread for “HWMonitorSMC2” you should be able to find some tips on configuring it. Can help with this tomorrow if problem persists.

I have also taken the plunge on M1 Max with a 14" model.

But my Z490 Vision D and other Hackintoshes shall continue to be used quite extensively for at least the near term.
  • My main system is still the original late 2018 Gigabyte Z390 Designare that replaced a 2008 Mac Pro 3,1.
  • This system might eventually be replaced with an Apple Silicon desktop computer, but probably not for about 18 to 24 months.
  • With Alder Lake due to be released in 2 weeks, it will be very tempting to experiment with it. The enthusiast in me will probably not be able to resist. (This doesn't mean I will, it just means I'll think about it!)
  • The Apple Silicon desktop computer may come in three forms:
    • Mac mini
      • This could be exceedingly tempting in both (a) technology and (b) price despite the lack of internal expansion slots
      • But this will use similar SoC as the new laptops, i.e. memory and SSD are fixed at time of purchase
    • Small form factor Mac Pro
      • This could be another worthy contender to replace my Z390 Designare
      • This could have expandable memory (DIMM slots) and possibly NVMe slots (current Mac Pro also has NVMe slots)
      • But after spending $$$$ on the 14" M1 Max, my wallet will need an 18-24 month reprieve
    • Full size Mac Pro
      • Could be prohibitively expensive, but no one outside of Apple knows at this time
      • I am already ruling this out for me
Alder Lake does seem very tempting. My 14" arrives on Tues

Back