Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i9-10850K
Graphics
6800 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
Well, @CaseySJ, as I said, I can boot Windows 11 through OC, and it seems fine, but its faster using F12. F12, one click and done (or one arrow move and enter and done).

To each his own.....

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision G
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
  2. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Well, @CaseySJ, as I said, I can boot Windows 11 through OC, and it seems fine, but its faster using F12. F12, one click and done (or one arrow move and enter and done).

To each his own.....
I do the same and hide my Windows NVMe from OC by disabling RP09 via an SSDT. :) I like to keep those two worlds as separate as possible, if only for my own neuroses.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi, both my Big Sur and Big Sur Backup SSDs are no longer visible to pick in the OpenCore 0.7.4 Picker. I have checked APFS Min Date & Min Version are set to 0 or -1 in APFS section of config.plist but still no luck.

Any ideas how to fix this?
Try the following:
  • At OpenCore Picker press spacebar, then select Reset NVRAM.
  • When system reboots, click the Shutdown icon at the bottom of the OpenCore Picker.
  • Then flip power switch on PSU to OFF for 10 seconds.
  • Power back up.
  • At OpenCore Picker, check if macOS boot options have returned.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 5700XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Try the following:
  • At OpenCore Picker press spacebar, then select Reset NVRAM.
  • When system reboots, click the Shutdown icon at the bottom of the OpenCore Picker.
  • Then flip power switch on PSU to OFF for 10 seconds.
  • Power back up.
  • At OpenCore Picker, check if macOS boot options have returned.
Hi Casey, that didn’t work for me but I do get a Big Sur - Data icon appear.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi Casey, that didn’t work for me but I do get a Big Sur - Data icon appear.
Oh no, I was afraid of that. The “system” volume on your SSD might be damaged. But before jumping to conclusions, is it possible for you to do the following?
  • Option 1: At OpenCore Picker, press “spacebar”. Do you see an option to boot into Big Sur Recovery? If so, select that option.
  • Option 2: If option 1 does not exist or does not work, remove the NVMe SSD and connect it to a working Mac or Hack if you have one. Then boot macOS and log in.
  • Option 3: If you don’t have another working macOS system, no worries. Just install macOS to a spare SATA SSD. I always keep a couple of 128GB or 256GB SATA SSDs for such purposes. After this temporary installation is done, boot the system from this disk and log in.
Now:
  • Launch “Terminal” and type:
  • diskutil list and post the output.
  • This will give us a good initial look into the state of all installed SSDs.

Motherboard
Gigabyte 490 Vision G
CPU
i9-1080k
Graphics
Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
After 2 out of 4 passes. memtest is showing 0 errors.

Since replacing with the provided config.plist there have been no freezes in Big Sur after numerous hours of use and several sleep/wake cycles. Not sure if things are all good now so will keep monitoring.

Replacement RM850x PSU will be installed tonight in case the CX550m wasn't enough.

Thanks for all the assistance thus far.

This morning I found that the system had woken itself from a sleep state but appeared to be frozen. No monitor output. I forced shutdown with the power button but the internal LED's stayed illuminated (I have addressable RGB strips attached to each of the DLED_1 and DLED_2 headers). This is not the first time this has happened following a freeze. Previously frozen states have been while using the system and a hard shutdown has turned off the internal LED's.

The most significant change between my previous post and this one is that I plugged all of my external USB peripherals back in. All but 1 USB Type-A jacks are occupied, and I have no Type-C jacks occupied. These are the devices that were plugged back in:
  • Logitech C615 webcam, Cable Matters USB card reader model 2020582, 2 Western Digital Passport 2 TB drives, 1 Elements 2 TB drive, 1 Elements 5 TB drive (externally powered), 1 Elements 8 TB drive (externally powered), 1 Seagate One Touch 5 TB drive
  • All drives are Journaled HFS+ except for one which is Case-Sensitive Journaled HFS+
So I have observed 2 patterns for freeze states:
  • Using the old config.plist and while using the system (all USB devices plugged in). Hard shutdown leaves the internal LED's off
  • Using the old and new config.plist the system self-wakes from sleep (all USB devices plugged in). Hard shutdown leaves the internal LED's on
Here are my Energy Saver saver settings.
Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 8.08.55 AM.png

Attachments

• New config.plist
    29.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Old config.plist
    29.2 KB · Views: 5

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This morning I found that the system had woken itself from a sleep state but appeared to be frozen. No monitor output. I forced shutdown with the power button but the internal LED's stayed illuminated (I have addressable RGB strips attached to each of the DLED_1 and DLED_2 headers). This is not the first time this has happened following a freeze. Previously frozen states have been while using the system and a hard shutdown has turned off the internal LED's.

The most significant change between my previous post and this one is that I plugged all of my external USB peripherals back in. All but 1 USB Type-A jacks are occupied, and I have no Type-C jacks occupied. These are the devices that were plugged back in:
  • Logitech C615 webcam, Cable Matters USB card reader model 2020582, 2 Western Digital Passport 2 TB drives, 1 Elements 2 TB drive, 1 Elements 5 TB drive (externally powered), 1 Elements 8 TB drive (externally powered), 1 Seagate One Touch 5 TB drive
  • All drives are Journaled HFS+ except for one which is Case-Sensitive Journaled HFS+
So I have observed 2 patterns for freeze states:
  • Using the old config.plist and while using the system (all USB devices plugged in). Hard shutdown leaves the internal LED's off
  • Using the old and new config.plist the system self-wakes from sleep (all USB devices plugged in). Hard shutdown leaves the internal LED's on
Here are my Energy Saver saver settings.
View attachment 531046
The system will wake from sleep periodically (dark wake) to check for email, notifications, etc. But we can actually see when these dark wake events will occur by going to System Preferences --> Power:
Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 10.21.30 AM.png

Here we can see a list of Next Scheduled Events.

Some comments:
  • We recommend shutting the computer off each night. Is there a compelling reason for keeping it on continuously?
  • With so many drives connected, do you see any drive-eject warnings when the system sleeps and wakes? If so, the Jettison app by St. Clair Software might be worth evaluating (free 15-day eval).
  • Because USB ports are being extensively used, one should review this post. Even though it was originally written to address kernel panic/freeze problems with USB 2.0 devices, it might apply to your situation as well.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 5700XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Oh no, I was afraid of that. The “system” volume on your SSD might be damaged. But before jumping to conclusions, is it possible for you to do the following?
  • Option 1: At OpenCore Picker, press “spacebar”. Do you see an option to boot into Big Sur Recovery? If so, select that option.
  • Option 2: If option 1 does not exist or does not work, remove the NVMe SSD and connect it to a working Mac or Hack if you have one. Then boot macOS and log in.
  • Option 3: If you don’t have another working macOS system, no worries. Just install macOS to a spare SATA SSD. I always keep a couple of 128GB or 256GB SATA SSDs for such purposes. After this temporary installation is done, boot the system from this disk and log in.
Now:
  • Launch “Terminal” and type:
  • diskutil list and post the output.
  • This will give us a good initial look into the state of all installed SSDs.
Casey, thanks again for your prompt response and your continued support.

I have a confession to make. I was trying to boot a Big Sur SSD from another Hackintosh and misread the label. It must have been a Senior Moment.

I am now booting my Z490 Vision D Big Sur SSD successfully.

Can I ask what the 'Update' folders are on the desktop when I boot Catalina off another SSD (see attachment)?

Also, is it possible to disable the NVMe's on the Z490 Vision D without physically removing them?

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    365 KB · Views: 11

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I am now booting my Z490 Vision D Big Sur SSD successfully.
Okay, good to hear.

Can I ask what the 'Update' folders are on the desktop when I boot Catalina off another SSD (see attachment)?
Big Sur and Monterey have a newer, more advanced version of Apple's AFPS file system. Catalina, unfortunately, does not fully support the new AFPS and mounts those drives with the label Update.

Also, is it possible to disable the NVMe's on the Z490 Vision D without physically removing them?
** WARNING: Copy EFI folder to EFI partition of a USB flash disk and make all changes to the USB flash disk! Then boot from USB by pressing F12 at Gigabyte splash screen. **

It might be possible, as follows:
  • Run Hackintool and open the PCIe page.
  • Look for Non-Volatile memory controller as shown.
  • Referring to the Device Name column, pick the controller you want to disable.
  • Then copy its Device Path from the right-most column (right-click on it).
Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 4.38.19 PM.png

Now create a Device Properties entry for this controller. An entry might already exist -- if so, skip to Step 3 shown in the screenshot below. Otherwise follow Steps 1, 2, and 3:
Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 4.43.11 PM.png

Finally, type these 3 device properties:
Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 4.46.18 PM.png

Save the config.plist and reboot. Log into macOS. Is the NVMe drive visible or disabled?

Last edited: