Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hi! I just want to ask if it's worth to update my system's OC. I'm currently running at release 0.6.6 OpenCore without any issue. Is there a major improvement in terms of performance with OC release 0.7.4? Thank you!

"Hi! I just want to ask if it's worth to update my system's OC. I'm currently running at release 0.6.6 OpenCore without any issue. Is there a major improvement in terms of performance with OC release 0.7.4? Thank you!"

My take on it is, if you plan to use Monterey, yes, upgrade to 0.7.4, if not, then don’t.

Hi! I just want to ask if it's worth to update my system's OC. I'm currently running at release 0.6.6 OpenCore without any issue. Is there a major improvement in terms of performance with OC release 0.7.4? Thank you!
Because OpenCore 0.6.6 is quite a bit behind, it does make sense to update it at some point. You can install latest OpenCore in the EFI partition of a USB flash disk and boot from that disk (F12 at Gigabyte splash screen) to make sure everything is still okay. Only when you’re satisfied with the new version, you can copy it to the EFI partition of the internal macOS SSD.

New versions of the OpenCore EFI also provide new versions of various kernel extensions. The bug fix and feature history of each one can be found on GitHub (Acidanthera).

** Z490 Vision G Owners with GC-Titan Ridge **

If anyone has a Z490 Vision G with a GC-Titan Ridge card, are you using a 3-pin or 5-pin Thunderbolt header cable? If so, does BIOS contain options for enabling and configuring Thunderbolt?
Good morning,

I have the Z490 Vision G and GC-Titan Ridge card in PCIEX4.
I have connected BOTH the 3-pin and 5-pin cables to the connectors on the motherboard - THB_C2 and THB_C1 respectively. I have NOT connected the USB cable from the GC TR to any motherboard USB header.
I have BIOS F5 and seem to have all the options for configuring Thunderbolt in the BIOS.

Because OpenCore 0.6.6 is quite a bit behind, it does make sense to update it at some point. You can install latest OpenCore in the EFI partition of a USB flash disk and boot from that disk (F12 at Gigabyte splash screen) to make sure everything is still okay. Only when you’re satisfied with the new version, you can copy it to the EFI partition of the internal macOS SSD.

New versions of the OpenCore EFI also provide new versions of various kernel extensions. The bug fix and feature history of each one can be found on GitHub (Acidanthera).
Thank you, CaseySJ. I will definitely update it now to keep kernel extensions up to date.

Thank you, CaseySJ. I will definitely update it now to keep kernel extensions up to date.
If you have a dual boot system with Windows, some users find it necessary to disable “AppleVTD“ after upgrading to OpenCore 0.7.4. So if Windows does not boot through OpenCore, simply disable AppleVTD per this post:

Good morning,

I have the Z490 Vision G and GC-Titan Ridge card in PCIEX4.
I have connected BOTH the 3-pin and 5-pin cables to the connectors on the motherboard - THB_C2 and THB_C1 respectively. I have NOT connected the USB cable from the GC TR to any motherboard USB header.
I have BIOS F5 and seem to have all the options for configuring Thunderbolt in the BIOS.
Thanks! Did the 3-pin and 5-pin Thunderbolt header cables come with your GC-Titan Ridge? Previous poster stated that the 5-pin header cable did not fit the Z490 Vision G’s header…

Good morning @CaseySJ

Thank you again. Unfortunately, I found that I have a few minor issues (not that critical.. sleep+ some usb issues)

Does not work:
1. USB-C port (of Case) does not work (it can charges my smartphone, but no data connections . Fyi, data connection works on Windows.)
2. Back panel USB 3.2 (red port, A-type) 3 ports (all of them.) did not work (both charging and data connection)
3. Back Mother board side panel USB 3.2 C-type did not work (It can charge, but there is no data connection)
4. Sleep does not work. (Right after computer sleep, it waked up)

FYI. Thunderbolt3 of titan ridge works great.

My system:
Z490 Vision G
GC Titan Ridge (rev 2)
RX 580 Pulse
Bios version F8c
Case: NZXT 510 case (Front panel: 1 usb-c, 1 usb 3.0, headphone jack)

I have used HackinDROM 2.0.4.
Option: Z490 Vision G, not D / AMD GPU / Broadcom (Fenvi …)
My only adaptation from this is I added SSDT-TB3-HackinDrom.aml based on your comments on this page. (Please see the attached pictures — my OpenCore configuration)

Thank you for your time !!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 9.17.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 9.17.59 AM.png
    462.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 9.17.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 9.17.40 AM.png
    523.6 KB · Views: 42
Niche ask:
Does anyone here have an Apple Airport card in a miniPCIe to PCIe adapter AND have Airdrop working after sleep (Big Sur)? I have everything else working after sleep (continuity, handoff, general Bluetooth) but NOT Airdrop (my hackintosh shows up in Airdrop, but sending files to it results in endlessly 'Waiting...') I'm currently using only BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext; none of the RAMUSB firmware injectors. Cheers!

Good morning @CaseySJ

Thank you again. Unfortunately, I found that I have a few minor issues (not that critical.. sleep+ some usb issues)

Does not work:
1. USB-C port (of Case) does not work (it can charges my smartphone, but no data connections . Fyi, data connection works on Windows.)
2. Back panel USB 3.2 (red port, A-type) 3 ports (all of them.) did not work (both charging and data connection)
3. Back Mother board side panel USB 3.2 C-type did not work (It can charge, but there is no data connection)
4. Sleep does not work. (Right after computer sleep, it waked up)

FYI. Thunderbolt3 of titan ridge works great.

My system:
Z490 Vision G
GC Titan Ridge (rev 2)
RX 580 Pulse
Bios version F8c
Case: NZXT 510 case (Front panel: 1 usb-c, 1 usb 3.0, headphone jack)

I have used HackinDROM 2.0.4.
Option: Z490 Vision G, not D / AMD GPU / Broadcom (Fenvi …)
My only adaptation from this is I added SSDT-TB3-HackinDrom.aml based on your comments on this page. (Please see the attached pictures — my OpenCore configuration)

Thank you for your time !!
While I sip on a fresh latté at a craft coffee shop, let me provide this initial reply:
  • Your iPhone uses USB 2.0 protocol
  • On the Vision G motherboard we have disabled a lot of USB 2.0 ports in order to maintain a 15-port limit.
  • Some USB 2.0 ports are, however, active.
  • Please refer to OpenCore 0.7.1 mini-guide for list of closed ports.
Regarding sleep, ensure that “Wake for network access” is disabled in “System Preferences —> Energy Saver”.

Back