CPU
i5-8250U
Graphics
UHD 620
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Well done! It worked!
Thanks so much.
I'm gonna look into it so to try and understand how you did it!!

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Monterey Public Beta 8: No issues with OC 0.7.4 pre-release build.
Screen Shot 2021-09-29 at 11.51.41 AM.png

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
However there are downsides: infrastructure upgrades. The new LGA1700 socket means alder lake is now rectangular in shape and no longer square. Thus our existing coolers at minimum will need a new retention bracket. I hope we also don’t need new coolers for optimum cooling given the difference in Alder Lake’s Z-height (compared to predecessor processors). If we opt for a ddr5 motherboard then we also have to get new memory, although some boards will come with ddr4.
And possibly a new motherboard power connector compared to existing 24-pin connector?

Motherboard
Asus ROG Z690 Formula
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
And possibly a new motherboard power connector compared to existing 24-pin connector?
Possibly add that to the list too. I had heard that the 24 pin atx connector will remain at least for z690. The psu suppliers and motherboard vendors protested Intel’s proposed change to ATX12VO. But until the z690 announcement, we don’t know if we need new PSU too.

Motherboard
Asus ROG Z690 Formula
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
** Some Tidbits on Next Generation **

• WiFi 7 also known as 802.11be. Some of the benefits (source):
    • Will this be available at launch using a Draft Spec? Most likely not. Z690 will start with WiFi 6E.
    • Multi-band/multi-channel aggregation and operation to deliver higher spectrum and power efficiency
    • Better interference mitigations
    • Higher capacity density
    • Higher cost efficiency
    • Support up to 30Gbps throughput, roughly three times faster than Wi-Fi 6
    • Support of 320 MHz transmissions, which is double the 160 MHz of 802.11ax
    • Release date of WiFi 7 spec is 2024
wifi 7 seems like it will be a big upgrade I’ve been following progress for a few months and one of the exciting features they’re considering is using all 3 bands simultaneously for data transmissions: 2.4, 5.0, and 6.0 GHz. That would add both speed and noise resilience.

Another cool thing is the use of the 6 ghz band, so we can use 160 MHz channels with up to 320 MHz Channels (when wifi 7 drops) and no need to worry about RADAR. Currently in the 5 GHz band, there are few channels that are DFS channels, because wifi shares radio spectrum with incumbent radar transmission in the 5ghz band. This includes weather radar on channels 120-128. Per FCC rules in the USA, whenever a wifi station operating on a dfs frequency detects radar, it must vacate the channel immediately and hop to a different frequency, which means The network will disconnect for some period of time. That could very disruptive to a zoom call or gaming session. It’s not currently possible to operate a 160mhz channel in the 5 ghz band without at least part of the channel operating on a dfs frequency. I use channel 100 which is a DFS channel, but no one else uses it, I’m all alone in my dense urban building. So no interference from my neighbors and I get maximum speeds, according to iperf.

so if you’re on a dfs channel, you could be interrupted at any time. Not very reliable! But with 6 ghz, there is no such restriction, clean 160 mhz with 320 mhz coming with wifi7, and no radar interruptions! But one challenge with 6 ghz is that the amplitude of radio wave propagation is inversely proportional to frequency. So lower frequency waves can travel further for a given transmitter power relative to a higher frequency wave. So while 6 ghz is free of dfs restrictions, 6 ghz will be more susceptible to obstructions, meaning slightly lower received power at the receiver relative to 5 ghz. So to cover a large house with 6ghz might require more access point nodes in a mesh network. 6 ghz routers currently on the market are way too expensive to justify their cost so I haven’t tested it yet.

All that being said, these days I tend to use a hard line for my main pc, I’ve setup an adhoc 10 gpbs network for maximum speeds for lan transfers, as well as max out my fios 1 gbps connection. AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion.kext is my friend.

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
...So while 6 ghz is free of dfs restrictions, 6 ghz will be more susceptible to obstructions, meaning slightly lower received power at the receiver relative to 5 ghz. So to cover a large house with 6ghz might require more access point nodes in a mesh network. 6 ghz routers currently on the market are way too expensive to justify their cost so I haven’t tested it yet.
Having recently upgraded to the Linksys Atlas Max 6E mesh router, I agree that cost is high. I've installed only 2 of the 3 nodes, and they are in exactly the same spots as the Netgear Orbi (WiFi 5) units they replaced. Transmission speeds have increased even to my Fenvi WiFi cards (WiFi 5).

Cost is high, but performance is also high!

Last edited:
Motherboard
Asus ROG Z690 Formula
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Having recently upgraded to the Linksys Atlas Max 6E mesh router, I agree that cost is high. I've installed only 2 of the 3 nodes, and they are in exactly the same spots as the Netgear Orbi (WiFi 5) models they replaced. Transmission speeds have increased even to my Fenvi WiFi cards (WiFi 5).

Cost is high, but performance is also high!
Awesome! I might have to look into that as I’m leaving my dense building for a larger home in several months! I need a mesh system.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Designare
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. Mac mini
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@fabrik,

I didn’t see your post until now (my bad). Have you made any progress with the Windows SSD? There are options to perform Repair/Recovery on Windows.

Do you use an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS)? These things can be very beneficial.
About the UPS - Yes I have one.

About the Windows No success. Honestly I don't know what to do.
I have the Windows SSD drive working perfectly in my hackintosh. But like I said, I can't find in the bios, or at OpenCore.
I appreciate your help.
Fab

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
I7-10700K
Graphics
5600XT & 6800 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@CaseySJ A bit more info on my issue with windows 10 crashing when booting from the OC picker. I have plugged in a Windows 10 bootable NVMe drive which is in a usb-c enclosure. Upon starting upon the system, the usb drive appears in the Oc picker. When I select it, same issue: windows logo spins for around 2-3s then blue screen with error code: acpi_bios_error stop code. So definitely something with OC picker since version 0.6.2.
I have looked on the net for various solutions, tried most of them but still no luck.

Also read that the main issue is that OC injects ACPI to all OSes including Windows. One solution was to add if(_DARWIN) to all SSDT under "methods". All my SSDTs have that statement except for DTPG. So following so guides I disabled it, rebooted windows and same issues. So I am stuck at this point is time. another solution is pointing at using rEFind bootloader instead of the OC bootloader but I'd rather stick to OC.

I also mounted my windows EFI partition. Here is a screenshot. does that look ok?
1632999597390.png

In particular the boot folder (not the one under microsoft) which contains bootx64.efi

Last edited: