1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi Casey,

Thanks for pointing that out, it's really thorough I am now just a bit confused by this warning:

Thunderbolt peripherals that support both USB and Thunderbolt hosts will not work with the flashed GC-Titan Ridge. This is known as USB-C Alt Mode.

Does this mean devices (Docks, Thunderbolt monitors etc.) that allow you to attach both thunderbolt 3 devices AND USB-C devices will not work properly?

Thanks.
Good question.
  • Some Thunderbolt devices (mainly docks, but can be other device types as well) can connect via either Thunderbolt or USB 3.x.
Confused? Let's look into this a little more...
  • We are familiar with the USB-C physical port. This port supports:
    • Thunderbolt protocol
    • USB 3.x protocol
    • USB 2.x/1.x protocol
    • DisplayPort protocol
  • But not all USB-C ports support all of these protocols.
  • If the USB-C port has a lightning logo next to it, then of course it supports Thunderbolt
    • Thunderbolt, by definition, also supports DisplayPort
    • So a lightning logo means that the USB-C port supports all 4 of the protocols above
  • A USB-C port without a lightning logo can support:
    • USB 3.x
    • USB 2.x/1.x
    • DisplayPort (but only if the manufacturer chooses to support DisplayPort)
With that out of the way...
  • We normally think that a Thunderbolt device connected to a USB-C port will only work if the USB-C port has a lightning logo next to it. And we would normally be right.
  • But with Titan Ridge, Intel provided a new feature that allows a manufacturer to let their Thunderbolt device connect to a USB-C port that does not have a lightning logo.
  • In other words, the Thunderbolt device can masquerade as a normal USB 3.x device and connect to the USB 3.x protocol on a standard USB-C port.
  • This is called USB-C Alt Mode.
My Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Dock Pro, for example, is a Thunderbolt device that supports USB-C Alt Mode. When I connect it to a USB-C port with a lightning logo, it connects over Thunderbolt and operates at the full blistering speed of 40 Gbps (theoretical max).

But when I connect that dock to a standard USB-C port (without lightning logo) it still connects and works, but does so over USB 3.x and operates at whatever max speed that port allows (either 5Gbps, 10Gbps, or 20Gbps for USB 3.2 Gen 2x2). These are much slower speeds, but at least the dock works.

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
... Im pretty sure I did not do this as I had problems with the clip jumping off the chip with a simple breeze.
This is actually one of the (only) issues with the Pomona. The cheap clip grips better.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 UD
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
W5500
Mac
  1. iMac
Good question.
  • Some Thunderbolt devices (mainly docks, but can be other device types as well) can connect via either Thunderbolt or USB 3.x.
Confused? Let's look into this a little more...
  • We are familiar with the USB-C physical port. This port supports:
    • Thunderbolt protocol
    • USB 3.x protocol
    • USB 2.x/1.x protocol
    • DisplayPort protocol
  • But not all USB-C ports support all of these protocols.
  • If the USB-C port has a lightning logo next to it, then of course it supports Thunderbolt
    • Thunderbolt, by definition, also supports DisplayPort
    • So a lightning logo means that the USB-C port supports all 4 of the protocols above
  • A USB-C port withouta lightning logo can support:
    • USB 3.x
    • USB 2.x/1.x
    • DisplayPort (but only if the manufacturer chooses to support DisplayPort)
With that out of the way...
  • We normally think that a Thunderbolt device connected to a USB-C port will only work if the USB-C port has a lightning logo next to it. And we would normally be right.
  • But with Titan Ridge, Intel provided a new feature that allows a manufacturer to let their Thunderbolt device connect to a USB-C port that does not have a lightning logo.
  • In other words, the Thunderbolt device can masquerade as a normal USB 3.x device and connect to the USB 3.x protocol on a standard USB-C port.
  • This is called USB-C Alt Mode.
My Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Dock Pro, for example, is a Thunderbolt device that supports USB-C Alt Mode. When I connect it to a USB-C port with a lightning logo, it connects over Thunderbolt and operates at the full blistering speed of 40 Gbps (theoretical max).

But when I connect that dock to a standard USB-C port (without lightning logo) it still connects and works, but does so over USB 3.x and operates at whatever max speed that port allows (either 5Gbps, 10Gbps, or 20Gbps for USB 3.2 Gen 2x2). These are much slower speeds, but at least the dock works.
That's really interesting, did not know that thunderbolt devices were supported over regular USB-C ports at USB speeds.

So in this example, after flashing the device, would I lose the ability to connect the Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Dock Pro to a full on thunderbolt port (at full speeds), a USB-C only port (At USB speeds), or both?

Thanks

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
That's really interesting, did not know that thunderbolt devices were supported over regular USB-C ports at USB speeds.

So in this example, after flashing the device, would I lose the ability to connect the Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Dock Pro to a full on thunderbolt port (at full speeds), a USB-C only port (At USB speeds), or both?

Thanks
If we connect the Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Dock Pro to a Thunderbolt port (USB-C with lightning logo), it simply does not work.

But if we connect it to a USB-C port without a lightning logo then voilà -- it identifies itself as a USB 3.2 Hub. Below we can see some of the details, including mapping of the on-board Ethernet port.

Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 2.35.10 PM.png

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision G
CPU
i7-10700
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
  2. 512K
  3. Plus
  4. Portable
  5. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
We have actually commented out the injection of device-id, but the mini-guide asks Catalina users to un-comment that line because the native device ID 0x15F3 is not supported in Catalina, but it is supported in Big Sur and Monterey. Catalina users have to spoof the device ID back to 0x15F
Thanks for the Hackindrom update which won't affect me then.
Regarding fakePCIID. I guess I'm better off just using the existing method? It's working fine.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 5700XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
For the time being we should not use the auto-upgrade feature of HackinDROM. Instead, we can use the “Create EFI” feature of HackinDROM or we can download the EFI zip folder from the mini-guide, rename “config-AMD-GPU.plist” to simply “config.plist” and copy PlatformInfo credentials into it (serial num, system UUID, board serial num, ROM). These should be copied into PlatformInfo —> DataHub tab in OpenCore Configurator.

The Create EFI function in HackinDROM does this automatically. If you visit the HackinDROM mini-guide, you’ll find the usage information for “Create EFI”.

I’ll add this message to the OC 0.7.2 mini-guide soon.
Thanks CaseySJ. You are a star.

You got me out of trouble again. I created a new EFI on both Catalina Disks and both are booting fine again.

Do you have any idea why might be the cause of my Z490 System hanging on the Gigabyte Splash Screen? It always works eventually after one or more Resets/Reboots but never first time every time! Really frustrating for such a great build!

Thanks again for your assistance. This Forum is an absolutely amazing resource for amateurs like myself.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 UD
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
W5500
Mac
  1. iMac
If we connect the Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Dock Pro to a Thunderbolt port (USB-C with lightning logo), it simply does not work.

But if we connect it to a USB-C port without a lightning logo then voilà -- it identifies itself as a USB 3.2 Hub. Below we can see some of the details, including mapping of the on-board Ethernet port.

View attachment 526450
Ok, makes sense, thanks again! I'm gonna be flashing my Titan Ridge v2 controller tomorrow. I'll post an update then, let you know if all my ports work!

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Do you have any idea why might be the cause of my Z490 System hanging on the Gigabyte Splash Screen? It always works eventually after one or more Resets/Reboots but never first time every time! Really frustrating for such a great build!
Hello @jimbojingle,

Let's start from the beginning on this issue. Some basics first:
  • Which version of BIOS is installed on your Z490 Vision D?
  • Is the Thunderbolt firmware flashed?
  • What is the make/model of your GPU?
  • What is the make/model of your monitor?
  • Which video connector are you using? HDMI, DisplayPort, DVI?
  • What other PCIe cards are installed?
    • Fenvi WiFi/BT?
    • Anything else?
  • What devices are connected to the internal USB 2.0 headers?
    • Fenvi Bluetooth?
    • Anything else?
  • What Thunderbolt devices are connected to the system?
  • What are the makes/models of all NVMe SSDs in your system?
  • In BIOS, is CSM Support enabled or disabled?
  • In BIOS, is Thunderbolt Boot Support enabled? If so, what is it set to? Boot Once? Boot ACL?
  • Have you already tried re-flashing the BIOS?
  • Have you already tried CMOS Reset?

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thanks for the Hackindrom update which won't affect me then.
Regarding fakePCIID. I guess I'm better off just using the existing method? It's working fine.
Yes it's okay to use the existing method. In Monterey, however, we disable FakePCIID and use boot-arg dk.e1000=0.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
Core i9-10900K
Graphics
AMD RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hey guys,

If anyone looking for upgrading to AMD 6000 series GPU, I just got mine today (Sapphire Pulse 6800XT), it worked with this build out of the box. I didn't need to change anything at all. (Used AMD config with 5500XT previously). Sleep works, HDR works. DRM with AMD KE works.

I'm using 0.7.1, and Big Sur 11.5.1. I didn't find much information online about if this particular GPU has any issues or not, so thought I should post it here. I haven't find any issues so far. Let me know if anyone has any question.

Cheers.