Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Great guide. Trying to duplicate it. What System names can I use? I am planning on using a RX 580, and 10600K. Any thoughts?
iMac20,1 would be the best option if you are running Catalina or newer. Mojave does not support iMac20,1.

Motherboard
ASUS ZenBook Pro Duo 15 UX582
CPU
i9-10980HK
Graphics
UHD 630 + RTX 3070
@CaseySJ Is there any way to dump the thunderbolt firmware on a laptop on macOS, Windows, or Ubuntu without the programmer?

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@CaseySJ Is there any way to dump the thunderbolt firmware on a laptop on macOS, Windows, or Ubuntu without the programmer?
There are two options:
  • Use a Raspberry Pi, which has built-in ability to read/write SPI Flash ROM chips.
  • Use a USB CH341a Programmer. This can be used from any operating system that supports the open-source flashrom application.
We have detailed guides on both options, referenced from the Tech Talk --> Thunderbolt section of Post 1 of this thread.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i7-10700
Graphics
Rx 580
Ouch, that's not good. Some suggestions:
  • Perform CMOS Reset and re-configure BIOS parameters afterwards. Always start with F7(Load Optimized Defaults).
    • Do you see Thunderbolt settings now?
  • If not, shutdown the system and flip power switch on PSU to offfor at least 10 seconds (i.e. cold shutdown).
    • Then power on the system and re-flash BIOS F5.
    • Then configure BIOS parameters.
    • Do you see Thunderbolt settings now?
Other thoughts:
  • When was the last time that Thunderbolt worked?
    • Last week?
    • 2 weeks ago?
    • 1 month ago?
  • Were any devices added to or removed from the motherboard?
    • Any NVMe SSDs added or removed?
    • Any SATA SSDs or HDDs added or removed?
    • Any PCIe cards added or removed?
  • Was the motherboard taken out of the case for any reason?
  • Can you see the Thunderbolt Flash ROM chip on the backside of the motherboard?
    • If so, does it look okay?
    • Any disconnected pins?
    • Any missing resistors near the chip?
Hi, @CaseySJ! I did the CMOS reset with no result, and, today I tried to flash the SPI chip with the backup but it did not read the chip. I recently move to another house, and I cant remember any significant to happen to the PC case. I just stop using the interface for two months, aprox. Do you think it's related to the SPI chip flashing? Should I contact the Gigabyte support?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision G
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
  2. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
You MAY be able to dump the firmware using this, I did it successfully on my old Z170-UD5 TH, but haven’t tried it since:

jaymonkey

Motherboard
GB Z490 Vision G
CPU
i9 10850K OC @ 5.2 GHz
Graphics
Vega 64 LC + HD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi CaseySJ,

I enabled AppleVTD a while a go and its working fine on my 490 Vision G using the methods detailed earlier in the thread, no issues with memory or network devices.

However i'm wondering if injecting SSDT-DMAR with the Reserved Memory Regions removed is going to cause issues when booting Windows 10 via OpenCore ?

As you know with most SSDT's we can create a _STA method to check for "Darwin" and return a status flag accordingly (eg: SSDT-DMAC), however as SSDT-DMAR is a memory mapping table as opposed to a device or method based table we can't use the _STA solution.

For now i'm booting Windows 10 (on the very rare occasions i have to) via F12 - boot device override and booting Windows via the Microsoft Boot Manager. It's quite possible that the modified SSDT-DMAR table wont cause issues with Windows 10 but i have not tried it yet.

Just wondering if you or anyone else has considered this and if so found a work around ?
I've tried trawling the internet to see if i can find an answer but so far nothing ....

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z590 Vision D
CPU
i9-11900K
Graphics
GT 710
Interesting; so perhaps Z590 is immune to the problem, which means there's no need to modify or delete the standard DMAR table.

I think I had Wi-Fi issues on Z590 so I'd still consider it necessary. Probably depends on which card used.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi CaseySJ,

I enabled AppleVTD a while a go and its working fine on my 490 Vision G using the methods detailed earlier in the thread, no issues with memory or network devices.

However i'm wondering if injecting SSDT-DMAR with the Reserved Memory Regions removed is going to cause issues when booting Windows 10 via OpenCore ?

As you know with most SSDT's we can create a _STA method to check for "Darwin" and return a status flag accordingly (eg: SSDT-DMAC), however as SSDT-DMAR is a memory mapping table as opposed to a device or method based table we can't use the _STA solution.

For now i'm booting Windows 10 (on the very rare occasions i have to) via F12 - boot device override and booting Windows via the Microsoft Boot Manager. It's quite possible that the modified SSDT-DMAR table wont cause issues with Windows 10 but i have not tried it yet.

Just wondering if you or anyone else has considered this and if so found a work around ?
I've tried trawling the internet to see if i can find an answer but so far nothing ....

Cheers
Jay
Hi Jay,

Good question. Although I've used Windows successfully with the modified DMAR (Direct Memory Address Remap) table, I've not encountered any issues. But I am not using Thunderbolt audio interfaces or any other particularly complex device.

One anecdotal piece of evidence is this:
  • Many of us who modified our DMAR tables run dual boot systems (Window and macOS).
  • So far no one has reported any issue in Windows...so far.
I am planning to include the modified DMAR table with the release of OpenCore 0.7.2.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision G
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
  2. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi Jay,

Good question. Although I've used Windows successfully with the modified DMAR (Direct Memory Address Remap) table, I've not encountered any issues. But I am not using Thunderbolt audio interfaces or any other particularly complex device.

• Many of us who modified our DMAR tables run dual boot systems (Window and macOS).
I am planning to include the modified DMAR table with the release of OpenCore 0.7.2.
For the sake of providing info: I have modified my DMAR table but I do not boot windows through Opencore… and as such my silence should not imply ‘no issues reported’ :) Maybe by coincidence others with modified DMAR tables are doing the same, and mitigating the discovery of possible issues?

maybe users with modified DMAR tables AND booting alternate OSes can chime in on windows stability?

jaymonkey

Motherboard
GB Z490 Vision G
CPU
i9 10850K OC @ 5.2 GHz
Graphics
Vega 64 LC + HD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

@CaseySJ,

Thanks for confirming that you and other users haven't seen an issue with the modified DMAR table when booting Windows 10 via OpenCore.

I figured as much but thought i'd ask the question ...

I still don't really understand why the OpenCore dev team can't just add a simple flag that stops OC from injecting custom ACPI tables for OS's other than MacOS ... it would make things much simpler for most users and take away any uncertainty with ACPI code that can not use the _STA solution.

The question/suggestion has been asked multiple times over the last few years on the Acidanthera Bug Tracker ... and every time it gets rejected ... I believe that one reason they gave was to do with boot camp drivers.

I think the current AppleVTD enabling method works well as long as it's properly implemented (looking at you DMAR) so makes sense to include it in the next EFI release.

Keep up the great work ...

Cheers
Jay