Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hi folks. My build is generally running a treat right now, and I'm just getting the rest of my software set up.

There are a few pieces of software I'd like to install which result in the error "This package is incompatible with this version of macOS."

View attachment 478247

Looking around online, this appears to be fixable by disabling SIP. According to the Dortania OpenCore guide, the suggested approach is to disable SIP by booting into recovery mode and using csrutil disable.

To access recovery mode, I believe the right method is simply holding CMD + R at startup. I'm running Opencore 0.5.9 directly from @CaseySJ's great guide here. At startup I always have just two options:
a. macOS Catalina
b. Tools
SIP is already disabled in OpenCore. It's governed by csr-active-config in the NVRAM section.
Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 5.16.11 AM.png

The error message you see might be due to a 32-bit application or an application that has not been updated in a very long time.
So, in my attempt to get to recovery mode, I've been holding CMD + R and then hitting [ENTER] to start Catalina. But this is not working for me: it boots directly into the normal OS every time.

1. What is the correct way to enter Recovery Mode?
2. Do you have other suggestions to troubleshoot software installations which indicate "This package is incompatible with this version of macOS"?
We can enter Recovery Mode at the OpenCore boot picker by pressing spacebar to reveal additional options. One of them will be Recovery. However, SIP is already disabled. I would suggest contacting the developer to understand why their app is not working.

The flashed GC-Titan Ridge has its own Thunderbolt DROM Micro-Guide. This can be found in the spoiler labeled Quick Reference to Mini-Guides and Micro-Guides at the top of the Designare Z390 build guide.

GC-Titan Ridge can be used in motherboards that don't have a THB_C header. We have to jump together pins 3 and 5 of the J1 header. This is best done with a F/F breadboard wire such as this one. When you hold the card vertically with the PCIe pins pointing to the floor, pin 3 is the middle pin and pin 5 is the top pin.

View attachment 478217

Thanks @CaseySJ. To use this card in a board with no thb-c header, does it work from cold boot or does the system have to be warm booted first and then restarted for peripherals to work?

My experience is that with the flashed firmware, system detects that thunderbolt device is attached. It shows up in thunderbolt bus. But the device does not start. Sometimes after rebooting 3 times, device starts. But upon cold boot, device doesn’t start anymore.

Also, pin 3 is easy to find as it’s in the middle lol. The question is which pin is the power pin? is it pin 1 or pin 5? I’m confused. See: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/testing-tb3-aic-with-mp-5-1.2143042/post-28346895

See also: https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-z170x-gaming5_v1.1_e.pdf at page 21 at
“16) THB_C (ThunderboltTM Add-in Card Connector)”

Last edited:
Awesome, thank you! Unfortunately it doesn't work, please see 2. below:

I installed everything, updated BIOS to f5a and using Radeon 590. Almost everything works as the doctor prescribed :)

1) Sleep does not work. When I put macOS to sleep (it does go to sleep) and then wake it up using keyboard - it reboots. Is there a way to fix it? Thank you!

2) Also no, Thunderbolt 3 to Cintiq Tablet connection doesn't work so far. The system immediately freezes when I connect it.
Please post or compare the following screenshots of the OpenCore config.plist in OpenCore Configurator:
Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 5.23.19 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 5.23.46 AM.png

• Does the Cintiq tablet work if connected to a blue, red or yellow USB 3.x port using a USB Type C to USB Type A cable/adapter?
  • Regarding sleep, what USB devices are connected to the two internal USB 2.0 headers?

Hi CaseySJ,

All worked well thank you. I have noticed that on my MB, the led1 channel only activates one of the LEDs on the edge lighting of the Aorus Xtreme MB, however there are several LEDs that run down the color edge of the MB.

For others that may be interested and have the same MB, the below are the color channels and what RGB lighting they affect on the Gigabyte z390 Aorus Xtreme.

ioled - as it says in the configuration file (io panel on the MB)
led1 - The Motherboard Edge Lighting
pchled - The Aorus Logo
pciled - The ESS Sabre Hifi Cover / Logo
led2 - led_c1 12v GRB Header
dled1 - Unknown
dled1 - NVMe M.2 SSD Covers
Thank you for this list. One of the reasons we have not yet released the new liquidctl is for exactly this issue. Namely, channel names might mean something different on different motherboards.

AORUS Xtreme has 2 standard 12V RGB and 2 addressable 5V RGB headers, so a little more investigation is needed.

If you would like to help sort this out, it will require:
  • Having Windows on the same computer
  • Downloading and running Wireshark
  • Downloading and running Gigabyte RGB Fusion 2 software for Windows
  • Capturing some USB traffic with Wireshark
If you're inclined to do this, I can provide instructions and screenshots.
Are you looking to include other RGB devices into the liquidctl build in the future. I also have Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro Memory Modules and Thermaltake RIING Plus RBG fans that are connected through the Thermaltake Riing Plus RGB Controller. I would be amazing to eventually get these devices color synced as currently I have no way of controlling them.
DIMM lighting is typically controlled by the SMBus instead of the USB Bus. There is, however, another RGB project on GitHub that is working on this.

Thanks @CaseySJ. To use this card in a board with no thb-c header, does it work from cold boot or does the system have to be warm booted first and then restarted for peripherals to work?
Flashed add-in-cards are not as well-behaved as flashed on-board controllers. So it will take some experimentation to find what works. In general though, USB-C devices will only work if connected before system is booted (i.e. no hot-plug), but Thunderbolt devices should work either way (i.e. hot-plug should work). But it may require one warm-reboot for Thunderbolt to work more reliably.
My experience is that with the flashed firmware, system detects that thunderbolt device is attached. It shows up in thunderbolt bus. But the device does not start. Sometimes after rebooting 3 times, device starts. But upon cold boot, device doesn’t start anymore.
This is the main issue with add-in-cards. @scottkendall has been using the Designare Z390's NVM 33 on his GC-Titan Ridge with better results.
Also, pin 3 is easy to find as it’s in the middle lol. The question is which pin is the power pin? is it pin 1 or pin 5? I’m confused. See: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/testing-tb3-aic-with-mp-5-1.2143042/post-28346895
Actually there's no need to worry about pin diagram. We just need to jumper the middle pin and top pin. With the card held vertically as mentioned earlier, with PCIe pins facing the floor, we jumper the middle and top pins. I can say that unequivocally because I am looking at the very thing right now. :)

There is a little chevron printed on the socket, and it corresponds to the power pin, which is the top pin. The pins are not physically numbered, but from the diagrams you pointed out, the top pin would be Pin 1.

Last edited:
Done. Not better. :(
Even tried to reboot afterwards, just in case
I got the same behaviour.
Alas I don't have an answer for this. If the problem is or becomes widespread, then hopefully we'll be able to google for an answer. This does not seem to occur on US-localization of Catalina, so maybe it's a problem with certain international localizations?

This is the main issue with add-in-cards. @scottkendall has been using the Designare Z390's NVM 33 on his GC-Titan Ridge with better results.

Very interesting idea @CaseySJ ! I like it. I wonder which is better, Designare z390 NVM vs Vision D z490 NVM on the GC-Titan Ridge??

If we use the z390 NVM (or even Z490 Vision D) on the GC-Titan Ridge (and not GC Titan Ridge NVM) which SSDT to use for hot plug and DROM?

Very interesting idea @CaseySJ ! I like it. I wonder which is better, Designare z390 NVM vs Vision D z490 NVM on the GC-Titan Ridge??

If we use the z390 NVM (or even Z490 Vision D) on the GC-Titan Ridge (and not GC Titan Ridge NVM) which SSDT to use for hot plug and DROM?
NVM33 from the Designare is better than NVM50 from the Vision D. I might even flash NVM33 onto my Vision D to see if it solves the USB-C hot-plug issue.

The SSDT to use with GC-Titan Ridge will always be the one attached to the GC-Titan Ridge Thunderbolt DROM Mini Guide.

Last edited:
NVM33 from the Designare is better than NVM50 on the Vision D. I might even flash NVM33 onto my Vision D to see if it solves the USB-C hot-plug issue.

The SSDT to use with GC-Titan Ridge will always be the one attached to the GC-Titan Ridge Thunderbolt DROM Mini Guide.

thanks so much. I will investigate this later. I wonder if these issues we’re finding with the Intel TB hardware if Apple found the same issues and enhanced TB functionality in macOS??

I’ve noticed that on real MacBook with thunderbolt, if I use windows and warm reboot into macOS, sometimes the device doesn’t autostart and I have to hotplug for it to work. Sometimes even on cold boot (Shutdown Windows then some time after boot into MacOS) it doesn’t autostart. Never thought too much of it until now.

And even when using an aquantia 10 gbps PCIe card in my old hackintosh, when I Warm boot from windows, card doesn’t autostart. I have to cold boot for macOS to start the card. Very strange.

Alas I don't have an answer for this. If the problem is or becomes widespread, then hopefully we'll be able to google for an answer. This does not seem to occur on US-localization of Catalina, so maybe it's a problem with certain international localizations?
Hey guys.
I had an idea today. As I didn't see the relationship between mounting the install USB stick, or my SSD's EFI partition and seeing my startup drive appear in "about my Mac", I suspected this could be about devices, or device numbers.
So I plugged my other drives, that I hadn't plugged during install, and bingo! Now I see the startup disk in about my Mac right from the boot.
@miip would you have only one drive connected? @CaseySJ , do you have more than one?

Back