Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Good question. There are some third-party Windows utilities such as Minitool that can convert MBR to GPT.
  • Before using these tools, I strongly recommend making a clone of the Windows disk.
  • Software such as Acronis True Image can easily clone a Windows disk (from the Tools --> Clone Disk option).
  • When the clone is done, check if the cloned disk contains an EFI partition. If it does not, then use an app like Minitool -- on the clone disk -- to convert MBR to GPT.
    • Keep the original Windows disk untouched until the clone is fully ready.
  • Once the clone has an EFI partition, see if it appears in OpenCore Picker.
@CaseySJ,

Acronis True Image using the manual mode for cloning, and I needed to use a different model M2 than the original. ;)
Leaving partitions intact and just copying the original disk worked perfectly. Booting now with any changes shows both disks. Here is the process that worked:

• Format with MacOS the target disk, exFAT, GUID
  • Install MS Windows on it, but nothing special other leaving the GUID partition. I did format the large exFAT partition.
  • Install the source MS Windows M2 next to the CPU
  • Install the target M2 in the second slot from CPU
  • Boot the original by selecting the original M2 in BIOS Boot Order.
  • Use Acornis True Image, Tools and Cloning to clone the original to target

So my original was/is a MS Windows 10 Enterprise install, and the target is the the exact clone. Shows up in the OC Menu and boots fine, so I am dual booting from OC. Thanks so much for the help.

I know lots of people have tried the 6800 Sapphire Nitro+. Has anyone been successful with the Sapphire NITRO+ AMD RADEON RX 6900 XT SE. Looking for someone to say the Special Edition works great on their hackintosh before I pull the trigger...
I'm 99% sure this will work with no issues in Big Sur 11.4. Within this release of OSX, they offer full support for 6800, 6800XT and 6900XT. In my years of Hackintoshing the GPU has been one of the easiest things to upgrade as long as Apple supports the drivers. I installed a Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6800 XT 16G today and all works great. I would go for it personally. Sapphire Cards have always been good with OSX.

I'm 99% sure this will work with no issues in Big Sur 11.4. Within this release of OSX, they offer full support for 6800, 6800XT and 6900XT. In my years of Hackintoshing the GPU has been one of the easiest things to upgrade as long as Apple supports the drivers. I installed a Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6800 XT 16G today and all works great. I would go for it personally. Sapphire Cards have always been good with OSX.
Yes agreed, and thanks for the reply! I have a 5700 Sapphire and its been super stable. Never saw anyone mention the 6900 Special Edition though so I wanted a little reassurance. Its an overclocked card for gaming... I might just take the gamble. I don't want it to become SOLD OUT...

Card has been ordered. Now the next big question. If I have a large enough power supply can I rock both cards at the same time internally for even more render power in octane? Id love to hear others experiences. I have z490 Vision D and only card plugged in other than Video is the Fenvi BluetoothCard.

6900 XT SE & 5700 XT together for pure Octane love fest...

Card has been ordered. Now the next big question. If I have a large enough power supply can I rock both cards at the same time internally for even more render power in octane? Id love to hear others experiences. I have z490 Vision D and only card plugged in other than Video is the Fenvi BluetoothCard.

6900 XT SE & 5700 XT together for pure Octane love fest...
I may be wrong but I'm not sure you mix and match 2 x different GPU in OSX. I always thought they had to be identical models. Now might be different now however. Maybe someone else can shed some light. Hope it works for you anyway. Let us know how you get on.

@taconugget @alexjibcam

It is okay to install two different AMD GPUs at the same time. With regard to RX 6900 XT, we just need to ensure that it’s not an XTXH version. Not all XTXH cards are supported in macOS.

Update: Workaround exists for XTXH cards that spoofs their device IDs to 0x73BF.

Last edited:
Just some info, I updated to Big Sur 11.5 and tested with the AMD RX580 and IGPU and no issues, everything still working as it was in 11.4.

Just some info, I updated to Big Sur 11.5 and tested with the AMD RX580 and IGPU and no issues, everything still working as it was in 11.4.
Same experience, smooth and painless update to 11.5 and so far everything works as before.

@taconugget @alexjibcam

It is okay to install two different AMD GPUs at the same time. With regard to RX 6900 XT, we just need to ensure that it’s not an XTX version. Not all XTX cards are supported in macOS.
How does on tell if the card has an XTX chip? I see no mention of it on the specs? This is what it’s called:

Sapphire NITRO+ AMD RADEON RX 6900 XT SE GAMING OC Graphics Card With 16GB GDDR6 HDMI / TRIPLE DP​

Thanks!

Back