Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Those won't be displayed in the discovery section. But while creating the kext, it will show you all the ports. Here, you can toggle to enable/disable the ports you don't want by entering comma separated list like 2,14 etc. The last column here, may show you all port types as 3. You may need to correct those to what you saw in Discovery section. To set types, for example, enter T:2,3,4,5:9 - this will set type of 2,3,4 and 5 ports to type '9'. Valid types are 0, 3, 9, 255. Just match everything from the discovery section of you can also use V2.aml for that. Afterwords, I confirmed everything to be matching with V2.aml.

Good luck.
Thanks @dsingh . I did it a little differently. I used USBMap to generated the USBMap.kext on my working OC 0.7.1 using USBInjectALL and looked at the XHC settings using IORegistryExplorer. I then edited the info.plist with BBEdit in USBMap.kext and removed HS02 and inserted HS14 (because I do use Intel Bluetooth). I made sure that all of the port-types agreed with port-types in IOServices. I also left XhciPortLimit because I wanted more than 15 ports. Put that on my flash drive, booted, and so far things seem to be working fine with USB ports I'm currently using. Not checked every one. Thanks so much for your help. The additional explanation of using USBMap.command was also helpful but decided to edit the file manually :).

I'd love to know if a USB4/Thunderbolt 4 hub works with the original GC Z490 Vision D NVM-50 thunderbolt chip firmware - I already custom flashed your modded NVM-50 and it doesn't support the hubs ? I preferred not to risk re-flashing to test :)
I can confirm that a Thunderbolt4 hub works flawlessly with the original NVM50 firmware. This thing works well with the z490 Vision D: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08RYZJY8M/?tag=tonymacx86com-20. Thunderbolt4 hubbing doesn't seem to work properly with the flashed firmware however, so I went back to the original NVM50.

Hi Casey, by any chance is the Z490 Vision D front panel (F_U32C) USB Type-C capable of "USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 20Mbps" cause I get 10Mbps on SS01, reverse the plug, get 10Mbps on SS02 with a USB 3.2 Gen 2 device ? It appears both 10Mbps ports are wired to/from the MB Type-E header to Type-C connectors ? This appears very similar to the same location Z590 chipset port (ie. Z590 Vision D block diagram) that shows it as a 1 x USB 3.2 Gen 2x2. Via PCH, not RKL CPU.

I recently upgraded my OC 0.7.1 BigSur from a 10th Gen CPU to a i7-11700K (plus BIOS F20 for RKL support) and amazingly, it flies in default BIOS mode and is just as stable as any MB ! Yeah it can pull 250W and needed an extra cpu cooler fan. Plus after much pain I found a workaround for the RKL XMP BIOS mess - I have 3200MHz CL16 4x16GB ADATA mem, so every time you screw things up you MUST clear CMOS, Load BIOS Defaults, select XMP Profile 2, select DDR4-3600 (yeap not a typo - to get a magic system memory multiplier that works), can set "Gear 1 or leave as Auto, same result", "do nothing else !" then Save BIOS & reboot - Bingo, "Gear 1" @ 3,273Mhz Memory Clock (macOS shows a bit higher ?). Also the RKL CPU connected PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 works - tested with Gen3 NVMe - nice 3500/3000MB read/write with ADATA SX8200 Pro. Yeah no more PCH traffic jams :) I used Windows HwInfo to check available and used link speeds - can't find a Mac equiv. The GPU and adjacent PCIe X8 slot are PCIe 4.0. Even the RKL Xe iGPU works in 'VGA' (HD) mode out-of-the-box under Catalina & BigSur - no config.plist additions. Great backup if you just sold your dGPU - no acceleration but performance is quite useable, except GPU intensive games or apps.

BUT I still have the same confusion (F5 or F20 BIOS) with the rear Type-C ports (shared for Thunderbolt & USB). Somedays I can hotplug in & out USB 3.2 Gen 1 or 2 devices in and they work, other days they only run at USB 2. If I disable Thunderbolt in BIOS I completely loose the TR XHC/USB3 host, but always have USB2 via the Chipset XHC controller. Thunderbolt 3 devices work flawlessly - even mixed mode 1 x TB3 device and 1 x USB 3.2 device.
I'd love to know if a USB4/Thunderbolt 4 hub works with the original GC Z490 Vision D NVM-50 thunderbolt chip firmware - I already custom flashed your modded NVM-50 and it doesn't support the hubs ? I preferred not to risk re-flashing to test :)

On a brighter side, it appears Gigabyte designed these MBs and wrote the user manual before they knew what Rocket Lake was, so it now seems the Z490 chipset with GC's PCIe switches is a better MB than the Z590 chipset ?
I'll now keep my Z490 Vision D MB a bit longer :). Attached a few system pix that may help others.
Cheers, J
Hi, I also have a 11700K cpu but downgraded to another 10700K because I was having sound issues with the RKL and AMD RX580. Do you have any issues with this? Can you share your EFI as well for me to try.

That means the USBMap isn't loaded correctly, if you remove that too, you will see the same list as all Internal. This is default how macOS picks ports automatically without any kexts. Which USBMap.kext are you using, did you create your own? Are you using iMac19,x or iMac20,x?
I tried the one you posted and have it set up as iMac20.2

Hi Casey, by any chance is the Z490 Vision D front panel (F_U32C) USB Type-C capable of "USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 20Mbps" cause I get 10Mbps on SS01, reverse the plug, get 10Mbps on SS02 with a USB 3.2 Gen 2 device ? It appears both 10Mbps ports are wired to/from the MB Type-E header to Type-C connectors ? This appears very similar to the same location Z590 chipset port (ie. Z590 Vision D block diagram) that shows it as a 1 x USB 3.2 Gen 2x2. Via PCH, not RKL CPU.
I think you mean 10 Gbps. I don't think anyone has tried getting 20 Gbps from the Gen 2x2 ports (at least in this thread?). macOS doesn't support gen 2x2 (true for Monterey as well?). If you have a 20 Gbps device, and want to try 20 Gbps, then you'll need the GenericUSBXHCI.kext. One person tried it at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/usb-3-x-pcie-cards-for-classic-mac-pro.1501482/
(search for "ORICO PE20-1C USB 3.2 Gen 2x2" and go to the links)

I'm not sure where to get the latest version. It probably should be modified to only work with gen2x2 controllers so that it doesn't take over the older USB 3.1 controllers. Is the Gen 2x2 controller the same as the chipset controller used for all the other ports? That might be a problem.

I have a gen 2x2 USB controller and device but I haven't tried them yet at 20 Gbps.
https://www.startech.com/en-ca/cards-adapters/pexusb321c
https://www.siig.com/usb-3-2-gen-2x2-type-c-20g-nvme-ssd-enclosure.html

I used Windows HwInfo to check available and used link speeds - can't find a Mac equiv.
Try my pcitree.sh script https://gist.github.com/joevt/e3cd4ff08aae06279134969c98ca3ab7
For EFI you can try my FixPCIeLinkRate.efi driver which can produce similar results (and it's faster because it's not a script)
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-1.2287044/page-5?post=30087837#post-30087837

Thanks @dsingh . I did it a little differently. I used USBMap to generated the USBMap.kext on my working OC 0.7.1 using USBInjectALL and looked at the XHC settings using IORegistryExplorer. I then edited the info.plist with BBEdit in USBMap.kext and removed HS02 and inserted HS14 (because I do use Intel Bluetooth). I made sure that all of the port-types agreed with port-types in IOServices. I also left XhciPortLimit because I wanted more than 15 ports. Put that on my flash drive, booted, and so far things seem to be working fine with USB ports I'm currently using. Not checked every one. Thanks so much for your help. The additional explanation of using USBMap.command was also helpful but decided to edit the file manually :).
Hi,

I just noticed that you need top section of the SSDT-UIAC-VISION-D-*.aml. The the section (USBX) about seems to set proper current for the ports and with this, I'm not getting turbo charging over USB-C ports. I have attached the modified AML below. Open this and V2 in MaciASL to see what I mean.

I'll try to check out other guides to see how they came up to such numbers and figure out if those can be customized to the VISION D board any further. For first glance, these seems to be matching with generic SSDTs from Dortania's.

Add this along with the new port map. Remove other old SSDTs.

Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 4.01.18 AM.png

Attachments

• SSDT-UIAC-VISION-D-V5.aml
    200 bytes · Views: 48
Hello!I have the same sleep awakening problem.My BCM94360CD is the same as yours.How did you solve it?
Is it the instant wake problem? i.e., if you manually put it into sleep does it wake after 12 seconds or so?

if yes, then check logs for pmset and see what is the reason. My guess is it’s wake up on usb issue. Does removing usb cable for Bluetooth fixes the issue? If all it is true then disable wake on USB and enable GPWR in SSDT and enable Patch for the same in ACPI patch section. That should fix it. Only issue is you will have to press power button to wake it. This patch enables that.

Is it the instant wake problem? i.e., if you manually put it into sleep does it wake after 12 seconds or so?

if yes, then check logs for pmset and see what is the reason. My guess is it’s wake up on usb issue. Does removing usb cable for Bluetooth fixes the issue? If all it is true then disable wake on usb and enable GPWR in SSDT and enable Patch for the same in ACPI patch section. That should fix it. Only issue is you will have to press power button to wake it. This patch enables that.
Yes,now I use the SSDT GPWR to fix it,but only the power button can wake it。This is the wake reason:kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: XDCI USBW RP04 (User)

if yes, then check logs for pmset and see what is the reason. My guess is it’s wake up on usb issue. Does removing usb cable for Bluetooth fixes the issue? If all it is true then disable wake on USB and enable GPWR in SSDT and enable Patch for the same in ACPI patch section. That should fix it. Only issue is you will have to press power button to wake it. This patch enables that.
When I don't connect the Bluetooth USB2.0, there is no sleep problem. I also tried to use USB2.0 to USB3.0 adapter to connect the Bluetooth, but it did not work (my BCM94360CD card model is not FV-T919).

Back