Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ Thanks, enabling AppleVTD is working fine, but unfortunately loading the SSDT-DMAR.aml breaks the Windows boot for me. :(
I have SSDT-DMAR enabled in ACPI and can launch win10 with no issues

@CaseySJ here’s some more info on the i225-v issue: https://github.com/dortania/bugtracker/issues/213

I will try this later, but apparently we need to:
  • 1. Disable FakePCIID.kext and FakePCDID_Intel_i225-V.kext in config.plist,
  • 2. remove everything concerning i225 in DeviceProperties/Add/PciRoot...
  • 3. add "dk.e1000=0" (without quotes) to boot-args.
Also, apparently enabling Vt-d without the opencore patch disableiomapper (such that AppleVTd loads) on gigabyte boards for some reason breaks Wi-Fi and some network adapters (except the iPhone USB adapter, I also haven’t tried an aquantia adapter in this setup).
Hi all,

I can confirm this method works on Big Sur 11.4. Adding dk.e1000=0 to boot-args, and disabling all FakePCIID kexts, will enable Ethernet with correct driver AppleIntelI210Ethernet.kext

I saw that yesterday and will also try it shortly. Item 3 makes me wonder if speed will drop to 1Gbps or whether that argument prevents the 1GbE driver from attaching instead of AppleIntelEthernet210.

The latter is correct. Summarizing the explanation from the issue tracker:
What's changed in 11.4 is the following:
The com.apple.driver.AppleIntelI210Ethernet no longer any need patches to work with I225 and supports it natively.
The com.apple.DriverKit-AppleEthernetE1000 is the new DEXT driver and the default match for I225, which hangs on Gigabyte boards (works just fine on ASUS).
To avoid matching com.apple.DriverKit-AppleEthernetE1000 on I225 we can either inject an invalid device-id value into it under PCI path, it can literally be anything, e.g. 00 00 00 00, changing from F3150000, etc.
Or we can disable the DriverKit's E1000 driver using boot arg - dk.e1000=0. I guess 'dk' here stands for DriverKit.
Disabling driver seems to be more cleaner option because it is backward compatible with Big Sur 11.3 and Catalina, and doesn't require patching, so faster boot time.

Alas it did not work for me (Monterey), but others should still try:

View attachment 523749
The reason it may not work for Monterey is that you may need to manually assign the IP address to Ethernet. It can be a bug in Monterey? I haven't personally tried that yet though. I'll be installing Monterey soon on different drive, and will test it. Will try to keep you guys posted.

EDIT: I think since IOPCIDevice that is used by FakePCIID is deprecated, older methods won't be work in Monterey, we'll need a new method for enabling Ethernet anyway. This works, and I hope issue of no IP address is also resolves in future betas of macOS 12.

Last edited:
** OpenCore 0.7.0 EFI for Z490 Vision D **
...​

This update includes:

5. BrightnessKeys 1.0.2
Hi,

You mentioned that BrightnessKeys is updated. In config, I see no reference to BrightnessKeys. May I ask how is this in use? Is there any link between other kexts and this? Or it's just remnant of older patches/workarounds.

Cheers!

Hi,

You mentioned that BrightnessKeys is updated. In config, I see no reference to BrightnessKeys. May I ask how is this in use? Is there any link between other kexts and this? Or it's just remnant of older patches/workarounds.

Cheers!
I've been including the kext in the OpenCore folder, but not including it in config.plist for some time. This one is entirely optional and depends to some degree on the keyboard. Anyone is welcome to add it by themselves.

It is provided by Acidanthera on their GitHub page.

@CaseySJ, What is BrightnessKeys? Is that for keyboards with lighted keys?

@CaseySJ, What is BrightnessKeys? Is that for keyboards with lighted keys?
This kext maps F1 and F2 function keys to lowering and raising screen brightness. It may or may not work depending on the keyboard. We generally get better results from the MonitorControl app.

Hi all,

I can confirm this method works on Big Sur 11.4. Adding dk.e1000=0 to boot-args, and disabling all FakePCIID kexts, will enable Ethernet with correct driver AppleIntelI210Ethernet.kext

The latter is correct. Summarizing the explanation from the issue tracker:
What's changed in 11.4 is the following:
The com.apple.driver.AppleIntelI210Ethernet no longer any need patches to work with I225 and supports it natively.
The com.apple.DriverKit-AppleEthernetE1000 is the new DEXT driver and the default match for I225, which hangs on Gigabyte boards (works just fine on ASUS).
To avoid matching com.apple.DriverKit-AppleEthernetE1000 on I225 we can either inject an invalid device-id value into it under PCI path, it can literally be anything, e.g. 00 00 00 00, changing from F3150000, etc.
Or we can disable the DriverKit's E1000 driver using boot arg - dk.e1000=0. I guess 'dk' here stands for DriverKit.
Disabling driver seems to be more cleaner option because it is backward compatible with Big Sur 11.3 and Catalina, and doesn't require patching, so faster boot time.

The reason it may not work for Monterey is that you may need to manually assign the IP address to Ethernet. It can be a bug in Monterey? I haven't personally tried that yet though. I'll be installing Monterey soon on different drive, and will test it. Will try to keep you guys posted.

EDIT: I think since IOPCIDevice that is used by FakePCIID is deprecated, older methods won't be work in Monterey, we'll need a new method for enabling Ethernet anyway. This works, and I hope issue of no IP address is also resolves in future betas of macOS 12.

Hi,

I can confirm that this method works on freshly installed Monterey. I made no changes to the config while installing macOS Monterey on external disk. Though, I installed Big Sur first and enrolled to PublicSeed using command line and upgraded to latest Public Beta.

Ethernet works with dk.e1000=0 boot arg, and no FakePCIID kexts used. Ethernet's DeviceProperties were same except device-id was removed. No manual configuration of IP address was done.

Screen Shot 2021-07-11 at 6.16.40 PM.png

Here's my config for Ethernet DeviceProperty (I have added slot-name and removed commented device-id, don't know if that makes any difference, but it does for iGPU, so thought I should mention that):
<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1C,0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
<dict>
<key>AAPL,slot-name</key>
<string>Internal@0,28,1/0,0</string>
<key>device_type</key>
<string>Ethernet Controller</string>
<key>model</key>
<string>Intel I225-V</string>
</dict>

Last edited:
Hi,

I can confirm that this method works on freshly installed Monterey. I made no changes to the config while installing macOS Monterey on external disk. Though, I installed Big Sur first and enrolled to PublicSeed using command line and upgraded to latest Public Beta.

Ethernet works with dk.e1000=0 boot arg, and no FakePCIID kexts used. Ethernet's DeviceProperties were same except device-id was removed. No manual configuration of IP address was done.

Here's my config for Ethernet DeviceProperty (I have added slot-name and removed commented device-id, don't know if that makes any difference, but it does for iGPU, so thought I should mention that):
Hello @dsingh,

Some questions:
  • Your Z490 Vision D has two Ethernet ports, but only one is defined in System Preferences --> Network. Are you sure the Ethernet cable is connected to the red Ethernet port on the rear IO panel?
  • Have you intentionally deleted the second Ethernet entry from System Preferences --> Network?
  • Is SIP enabled or disabled (csr-active-config)?
I tried all of the modifications you described, but on my Z490 Vision D with Monterey Public Beta 1, the i225-V port does not actually connect (no green dot in System Preferences --> Network). The correct driver loads, but the a connection is not established in Monterey.

I tried with and without AppleVTD.

Hello @dsingh,

Some questions:
  • Your Z490 Vision D has two Ethernet ports, but only one is defined in System Preferences --> Network. Are you sure the Ethernet cable is connected to the red Ethernet port on the rear IO panel?
  • Have you intentionally deleted the second Ethernet entry from System Preferences --> Network?
  • Is SIP enabled or disabled (csr-active-config)?
I tried all of the modifications you described, but on my Z490 Vision D with Monterey Public Beta 1, the i225-V port does not actually connect (no green dot in System Preferences --> Network). The correct driver loads, but the a connection is not established in Monterey.

I tried with and without AppleVTD.
Hi @CaseySJ, I am also using the boot arg and have the FakePCIID.kexts disabled. Both my network ports are defined and work. I tested them and they work properlyly.

Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 7.26.37 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 7.28.51 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 7.29.55 AM.png

Hi @CaseySJ, I am also using the boot arg and have the FakePCIID.kexts disabled. Both my network ports are defined and work. I tested them and they work properlyly.
Hello @suren6791,

Is this with Big Sur or Monterey? In my case the problem occurs only in Monterey.

Back