Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 PRO AX
CPU
i9-10850K
Graphics
RX 580
Maybe the issue is because this internal port is not directly connected to the XHCI controller, it sits on the USB 2.0 hub (the port the hub is connected to is marked "internal" in my map, but that doesn't help). Maybe, just maybe, MacOS considers all hub ports "external"?

@CaseySJ @RandC That ^^^ was the case. I crafted a USB cable with a normal USB-A plug on one side and 4-pin JST connector on another to attach to the YOUBO card. Plugged it into the rear I/O panel USB port, created a USB map with Hackintool, declared this port "internal" in the map and it all works beautifully.

I didn't like how Intel BT works in macOS and ended up removing the CNVi module to completely wipe it out. Otherwise, I wasn't able to predict which one system will use after each reboot - either Intel or Broadcom on the YOUBO card.

It kind of annoys me that I've lost 2 USB ports as the result - one external and one that CNVi module was connected to. So maybe I'll pick up a cheap M.2 PCB and solder to the USB pins that CNVi connector provides. According to the doc they should be there.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 PRO AX
CPU
i9-10850K
Graphics
RX 580
@CaseySJ You recommend a NativeMonitorBrightness tool in your build guide. I should report that it doesn't work correctly with Apple LED Display (the one that just like Thunderbolt, but only Displayport :)).
As soon as you touch the slider it dims the display and there's no way to get the old brightness back. Its 100% is actually around 50%. And there's no way to fix it (unplugging monitor from power doesn't help, it remembers the setting) unless you can manipulate the DDC/CI signals.

I've found and installed MonitorControl and it correctly works with both my monitors and seems to be better maintained and polished.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
I7-10700K
Graphics
5600XT & 6800 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@CaseySJ I have tried the Dortania SSDT-Spoof and as opposed to the first one that I tried based on the Z390 (that you reviewed a few weeks ago), this one load and does not crash when macos boots.
Now if the SSDT is loaded/executed properly, am I supposed to see the second video card under graphics/displays in the system report?
Here is a quick screenshot:
1615359865519.png

As you can see above, Display is obviously my 6800 XT and here is IOreg screenshot:
1615360027708.png

what I don't get is that the SSDT is loading class-code with FFFFFFFF but we can see from the above that it is not the case

Motherboard
Asus z490a Prime
CPU
Graphics
5700XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Very thorough indeed!

Apologies for posting a Thunderbolt question here despite my different board, but this is by far the best / most thorough / easiest to understand setting out of the Thunderbolt issue I have seen.

So... I have an Asus Z490A Prime with 10900K and an Asus ThunderboltEX 3-TR card. Absolutely everything working.... except the Thunderbolt card. At least, it is not clear whether the card is working or not. It works fully under Windows (both eGPU and USB ports) with the condition that it needs to be permission after logging in to Windows (presumably the required resources would be too large for the Windows default). In Big Sur I see it in the ioRegistryExplorer as attached. But, when connecting it to my Razer CORE X Chroma containing a 5700XT, Big Sur does not appear to see either the graphics card or any of the USB sockets on the CORE X. This doesn't appear to be different whether I have connected prior to boot, during boot, or post boot.

I have tried both with and without adding ACPi / KEXT / DRIVER but without impact.

Questions:

- is it also required to flash a chip in relation to my ThnderboltEX 3-TR card?
- if so, is it a chip on the motherboard or the card which one would flash?
- is there a guide comparable to the one here which anyone is aware of?
- if I go. that route, would it prevent the card from working in Windows?
- is there a "proper" guide somewhere which describes the correct ACPI / KEXT / DRIVER configurations? (this is likely a far easier task than wasting your valuable time looking at the results of my hackery if I begin again using a guide you guys recommend, and then provide the necessary downloads and results from there!)

I would truly appreciate your guidance!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 08.50.21.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 08.50.21.png
    67.8 KB · Views: 29

qbe

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Anyone using intel BT with Magic Trackpad 2 can confirm all working in macos?

Motherboard
Asus ROG Z690 Formula
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
You guys seen this?

Apple apparently moving to randomized serial numbers in early 2021. So Z490 might be last hackable platform:

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/03/09/apple-randomized-serial-numbers-early-2021/

What kind of impact is this going to have? Could be death of hackintosh no?
As far as I can tell, this only applies to new Macs which most of which will be Apple Silicon-based. Nothing is stopping us from using iMac20,1 for the forseeable future, and if necessary, spoofing CPUID. In fact, the Z590 is already working with Comet Lake on Hackintosh (see: Ohchang's build: Gigabyte Z590 Vision G + i7-10700K + AMD RX580(partialy iGPU accelerated) | tonymacx86.com). The challenge going forward will be the changes Intel will make to x86 (Alder Lake's hybrid architecture, Rocket Lake's new Xe-based iGPU), and how those new features will interact with macOS.

But there may come a time when Intel x86 is no longer supported on macOS, and, at that point, hackintosh (on new OSes) will be challenging. But who knows if a general purpose ARM-based chip (that can be hacked to run macOS) will make it to market.

However, I have a feeling that Apple's future M-series based Silicon will be sooo compelling and so hyper-performant that they will blow Intel out of the water and many of us won't want to have a power-hungry hack anymore. What's the point of spending $$$ to buy an Intel chip to run macOS slower than spending that same $$$ on an M-series actual Mac?

We'll see what Intel can do with Alder Lake, then Meteor Lake, and then Lunar Lake.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
As far as I can tell, this only applies to new Macs which most of which will be Apple Silicon-based. Nothing is stopping us from using iMac20,1 for the forseeable future, and if necessary, spoofing CPUID. In fact, z590 is already working with Comet Lake on Hackintosh (see: Ohchang's build: Gigabyte Z590 Vision G + i7-10700K + AMD RX580(partialy iGPU accelerated) | tonymacx86.com). The challenge going forward will be the changes Intel will make to x86 (Alder Lake's hybrid architecture, Rocket Lake's new Xe-based iGPU), and how those new features will interact with macOS.

But there may come a time when Intel x86 is no longer supported on macOS, and at that point, hackintosh (on new OSes) will be challenging, but who knows if a general purpose ARM-based chip (that can be hacked to run macOS) will make it to market.

But I have a feeling that Apple's future M-series based Silicon will be sooo compelling and so hyper-performant that they will blow Intel out of the water and many of us won't want to have a power-hungry hack anymore. What's the point of spending $$$ to buy an Intel chip to run macOS slower than spending that same $$$ on an M-series actual mac?

We'll see what Intel can do with Alder Lake, then Meteor Lake, and then Lunar Lake.
Just some thoughts:
  • AMD is reportedly working on ARM-based processors.
  • If macOS kernel can be patched on the fly to run on Ryzen CPUs, can a similar technique be used to run Apple Silicon version of macOS on third-party ARM processors with a little patch-magic?
  • However, I also feel ("feel" -- because it's too early to tell) that Apple might deliver truly compelling desktop computers with sufficient modularity at an acceptable price.
  • The best way, I think, for Apple to discourage Hackintoshing is by giving us what we've been yearning for.
    • If Apple is bringing back additional ports on their laptops, then it's a sign they're listening.
    • Apple already replaced butterfly keyboard with traditional scissor keyboard, and restored the physical "Esc" key on Touch Bar laptops. Again, a sign they're listening.
  • Apple sent a Questionnaire to many of their iPad mini customers (myself included) asking about our thoughts on the product and what we'd like to see.
    • This happened about a year ago.
    • Now I'm seeing rumors of a new iPad mini 6 that just might incorporate most of the feedback.
  • However, we don't have any meaningful information about Apple's own mid- to high-end GPU.
    • What GPUs will ship in Apple Silicon desktop systems?
    • Will there be PCIe slots? Will those slots accept AMD GPUs?
As mentioned earlier, 2021 and 2022 should be quite exciting in the world of Macintosh. My wait-and-see stance remains...

2021-mbp-hdmi-slot-3d.jpg

Source: MacRumors

Last edited: