Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

That's not working for me...
Did I mess up..?
EFI folder is in its place in the Catalina SSD...
But it's not visible in BIOS as a Boot option
  • When you press F12 at the BIOS splash screen to open the BIOS Boot Menu (not OpenCore Picker), what boot options do you see?
  • And do you see the same boot options in BIOS Setup --> Boot?
  • If so, which disk is listed at the first boot priority?

**Update on random crashes**

Before performing the stress test, I set the BIOS (VCORE, LLC as suggested)

I have since as recommended performed a stress test in Windows (bearing in mind my CPU is not overclocked or anything). Upon downloading and looking into it, I thought I would run a quick 5 minute test to see what would happen. After 4m58sec it froze and the fans fired up. I had a loom at the MOBO to see if there was any error codes and found it said C1. Gigabytes manual is not at all helpful at this point because it says the C1-9 is 'reserved' (not helpful).

Upon investigating this, suggestions were that it is RAM, well I had already taken this out and reseated it.
I did it once more, except I swapped their position in the slots (1-3 & 3-1).

Fired it up again and did a quick stress test and it sailed through. No problems, did a couple of bits, went back into MacOS, did some more bits with no issues... this was all since 10:30 this morning and I'm still here doing bits and it's running quietly, no dramas and behaving the way it should be.
Just finishing a couple of installs and getting things back to a place where I am happy and then I shall use SuperDuper to create a Bootable backup (just incase).

Thank you all for the help and suggestions, I'm not entirely out of the woods yet but I definitely feel that it is in a better place than it was a day or two ago!

Big shout out to @CaseySJ @Ayvan @Higgie @hughythomas and anyone else who has contributed to helping me out, many thanks
Hi Casey,
Did you ever fix the issue totally? I'm having the same issue. C1 error shows. I tried swapping the RAM chips, didn't help. Now I'm not able to get into the BIOS at all. It just sits there. Any help would be greatly appreiciated.

Aaron

• When you press F12 at the BIOS splash screen to open the BIOS Boot Menu (not OpenCore Picker), what boot options do you see?
  • And do you see the same boot options in BIOS Setup --> Boot?
  • If so, which disk is listed at the first boot priority?
I only see the Windows Boot, both when pressing F12 and in BIOS Setup/Boot...
This Windows install was done after installing Catalina, but I don't remember this issue coming right when I installed Windows. I think it was after I reset NVRAM, but to be honest, I'm not 100% sure.

I only see the Windows Boot, both when pressing F12 and in BIOS Setup/Boot...
This Windows install was done after installing Catalina, but I don't remember this issue coming right when I installed Windows. I think it was after I reset NVRAM, but to be honest, I'm not 100% sure.
Windows may have installed its boot loader on your macOS SSD. Do you still have your USB install disk that was used to install Catalina? If not, you can create a new USB boot disk as follows:
  • Format the USB flash disk in Disk Utility on another Mac (or use some Windows tools that do the same job). But it's necessary to set the Scheme to GUID Partition Map. In Windows it might be called GUID Partition Table.
  • Then download the OpenCore 0.6.6 EFI zip and copy it to the EFI partition of the USB flash disk.
  • Rename the top level OpenCore folder to "EFI" if it is not already given that name.
  • Then create new serial numbers and enter them in PlatformInfo (or use HackinDROM --> Copy Config --> Generate New SMBIOS) to do the same.
  • Then insert USB flash disk into Hackintosh and press F12 at BIOS Splash Screen. Select the USB flash disk.
  • Does OpenCore Picker appear?

Windows may have installed its boot loader on your macOS SSD. Do you still have your USB install disk that was used to install Catalina? If not, you can create a new USB boot disk as follows:
  • Format the USB flash disk in Disk Utility on another Mac (or use some Windows tools that do the same job). But it's necessary to set the Scheme to GUID Partition Map. In Windows it might be called GUID Partition Table.
  • Then download the OpenCore 0.6.6 EFI zip and copy it to the EFI partition of the USB flash disk.
  • Rename the top level OpenCore folder to "EFI" if it is not already given that name.
  • Then create new serial numbers and enter them in PlatformInfo (or use HackinDROM --> Copy Config --> Generate New SMBIOS) to do the same.
  • Then insert USB flash disk into Hackintosh and press F12 at BIOS Splash Screen. Select the USB flash disk.
  • Does OpenCore Picker appear?

I have the Catalina USB Install Disk and is indeed what I am currently using to access a Bootpicker where I can access OS Catalina, which is what I'm using at the moment.

Oh god! You're right!
I'm checking the EFI on my Catalina SSD and there's a folder called Microsoft!

Unluckily 0.6.6 hasn't yet worked for me. So I guess I need to restore my working Catalina EFI, and, what about this Microsoft folder? Shouldn't it be in the EFI placed in the Windows SSD?

Edit: There's no EFI whatsoever in the Windows Disk

I have the Catalina USB Install Disk and is indeed what I am currently using to access a Bootpicker where I can access OS Catalina, which is what I'm using at the moment.

Oh god! You're right!
I'm checking the EFI on my Catalina SSD and there's a folder called Microsoft!
This is easy to fix. Please do the following:
  • Mount EFI partition of Catalina SSD and post screenshot of contents of EFI folder
  • Mount EFI partition of Windows SSD and post screenshot of contents of EFI folder (if EFI folder exists)

Unluckily 0.6.6 hasn't yet worked for me. So I guess I need to restore my working Catalina EFI, and, what about this Microsoft folder? Shouldn't it be in the EFI placed in the Windows SSD?

This is easy to fix. Please do the following:
  • Mount EFI partition of Catalina SSD and post screenshot of contents of EFI folder
  • Mount EFI partition of Windows SSD and post screenshot of contents of EFI folder (if EFI folder exists)

This is the EFI in my Catalina SSD. There's no EFI in the Windows SSD.
Apparently, the only difference between this EFI and the one in my Catalina Install Flash Drive is the Microsoft folder.

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 15.31.33.png

I'm not sure, but I think this could help...

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 15.36.48.png

This is the EFI in my Catalina SSD. There's no EFI in the Windows SSD.
Apparently, the only difference between this EFI and the one in my Catalina Install Flash Drive is the Microsoft folder.

View attachment 510324
Please try this:
  • On the Windows EFI partition:
    • Create a folder called EFI
    • Move the Microsoft folder into this EFI folder and then delete it from where it is right now
    • Also copy this Microsoft folder to another safe location such as a USB flash disk (but NOT into EFI partition of USB flash disk).
Now reboot and press F12 at Gigabyte Splash Screen. Do you see all of the boot drives now?

Please try this:
  • On the Windows EFI partition:
    • Create a folder called EFI
    • Move the Microsoft folder into this EFI folder and then delete it from where it is right now
    • Also copy this Microsoft folder to another safe location such as a USB flash disk (but NOT into EFI partition of USB flash disk).
Now reboot and press F12 at Gigabyte Splash Screen. Do you see all of the boot drives now?
Casey sorry but there's no EFI partition in the Windows disk. Is there a way to create one once the drive has been formatted?

Back