Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi @CaseySJ, I just tried your Opencore 0.6.6 folder and it works!

But I noticed a +10 degree C temp increase (at idle) using 0.6.6 vs 0.6.5 (and windows). In both Windows, and MacOS 11.2.1 on OC 0.6.5, my system is a cool 33 degrees C at idle. However, when I load macOS with your 0.6.6 folder, idle temps are much warmer at 43 degrees C. No changes in BIOS settings or voltage/frequency settings. I ensured to close all apps, and end any services sucking CPU power, and waited until the system was idle (using Intel Power Gadget).

I haven't done a ton of testing yet to see if it's related to a new kext, .efi. or .aml. file, but perhaps it is something that you may want to take a look at. Thanks!
I haven't noticed an increase in temperature on my five Hackintoshes running macOS 11.3 public beta with OC 0.6.6. Perhaps the fans in your system are not spinning as fast with the newer VirtualSMC? Perhaps try OC 0.6.6 with VirtualSMC (and its two associated kexts) copied from the OC 0.6.5 folder?

etc

Motherboard
ROG Z490-E
CPU
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've added a Thunderbolt SSDT for Asus ThunderboltEX-3 TR to HackinDROM, as shown below. The PCI port is set to RP21, so simply change that to the actual port in your system. If you need help with this step, please post these two files:
  • IORegistryExplorer --> File --> Save As...
  • System DSDT (from MaciASL --> File --> New from ACPI --> System DSDT)
The SSDT for GC-Titan Ridge v1/v2 is already available from HackinDROM.
View attachment 509774View attachment 509773
Please note that SSDT-DTPG.aml is also necessary because it provide a helper function (Method DTGP). That SSDT is attached.

After applying the SSDTs and rebooting, please check Link Speed once again. It should be 40 Gbps.
You're magician!

3-TR-MOD2-TB-Bus+SSDT.png

SSDT helped to get internal devices on cold boot too! Woohoo!

So the last thing remains is finding RX580 again to test 5K res. @CaseyJS you just rock!

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision G
CPU
i7-10900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Performa
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi Casey/all,

I've pulled a bit of a boo-boo with my hack and need some help I'm afraid!

I tried to update to latest Big Sur (11.2.1) from 11.2 using Software Update.

Everything was looking like it was working fine so I left the machine to it (after a few restarts) and went off for a cup of tea (yes I'm British!!).

I came back and was confused to find a dialogue window in Big Sur asking if I wanted to enable Siri. I clicked no and it returned me to Big Sur Desktop.

I then noticed that it looked like the update had failed as Software update was still offering 11.2.1 to me.

So, I rebooted and found that I now have 2x 'Macintosh HD' bootable partitions...except only ONE of them is the working one and the other just reboots endlessly in a restart cycle. I'd be fine with this except its impossible to tell which one is which lol!

This is what happened last time I tried to update to 11.2 from 11.1. The fix then was to press space bar and load up 11.1 recovery and to a disk repair in Disk Utility from the recovery partition.

Problem is, it won't even let me into the recovery partition to even perform this! Comes up with a couple of errors top left saying:

OCB: Disk image altered
OCB: Load image failed

I did try Disk Utility straight from Big Sur and notice I've now got an extra partition (see attached image) which I'm guessing is the one we want to nuke.

Anyone know how to fix all of this? I don't want to be left behind with these updates but equally am half way through an album so need a machine I can rely on!

Thank you for taking the time to read this :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 16.43.29.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 16.43.29.png
    484.9 KB · Views: 18

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi Casey/all,

I've pulled a bit of a boo-boo with my hack and need some help I'm afraid!

I tried to update to latest Big Sur (11.2.1) from 11.2 using Software Update.

Everything was looking like it was working fine so I left the machine to it (after a few restarts) and went off for a cup of tea (yes I'm British!!).
LOL! That infernal cup of tea! :) (So says the American with a coffee habit!)

I came back and was confused to find a dialogue window in Big Sur asking if I wanted to enable Siri. I clicked no and it returned me to Big Sur Desktop.
The option to enable Siri normally means that an OS update has been applied, but nevertheless let's skip over this for now.

I then noticed that it looked like the update had failed as Software update was still offering 11.2.1 to me.

So, I rebooted and found that I now have 2x 'Macintosh HD' bootable partitions.

This is what happened last time I tried to update to 11.2 from 11.1. The fix then was to press space bar and load up 11.1 recovery and to a disk repair in Disk Utility from the recovery partition.
Instead of going to Recovery, it would be best to install 11.2.1 again, sans the tea break! Each time the system reboots, select the following from OpenCore Picker if it is not already selected:
  • On a reboot there should be only one Macintosh HD. Select this if it's not auto-selected.
  • On subsequent reboots this Macintosh HD option should not exist. Select the name of your internal macOS SSD if it's not already selected.
  • When the update is fully installed, reboot manually to ensure that Macintosh HD is indeed gone for good.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision G
CPU
i7-10900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Performa
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
LOL! That infernal cup of tea! :) (So says the American with a coffee habit!)

The option to enable Siri normally means that an OS update has been applied, but nevertheless let's skip over this for now.

Instead of going to Recovery, it would be best to install 11.2.1 again, sans the tea break! Each time the system reboots, select the following from OpenCore Picker if it is not already selected:
  • On a reboot there should be only one Macintosh HD. Select this if it's not auto-selected.
  • On subsequent reboots this Macintosh HD option should not exist. Select the name of your internal macOS SSD if it's not already selected.
  • When the update is fully installed, reboot manually to ensure that Macintosh HD is indeed gone for good.

Thanks for the reply mate!

I'm now getting this on subsequent attempts at updating:

"Download failed. An error occured while downloading the selected updates. Please check your internet connection and try again."

Funnily enough this is pretty much what happened last time when I tried to update to 11.2.

Is there a way of just wiping this new partition its made? As mentioned in my previous post attachment?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 17.01.02.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 17.01.02.png
    6.8 MB · Views: 25

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thanks for the reply mate!

I'm now getting this on subsequent attempts at updating:

"Download failed. An error occured while downloading the selected updates. Please check your internet connection and try again."
Try enabling SIP as follows:
  • Change csr-active-config to 00000000 (see screenshot)
  • Add csr-active-cofig to the Delete section of NVRAM (see screenshot)
  • Reboot
These changes will be included in the next EFI release when OC 0.6.7 is released next month.
Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 9.11.59 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-18 at 9.12.18 AM.png
Funnily enough this is pretty much what happened last time when I tried to update to 11.2.

Is there a way of just wiping this new partition its made? As mentioned in my previous post attachment?
There's no straightforward way of wiping this new partition, unfortunately.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision G
CPU
i7-10900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Performa
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Try enabling SIP as follows:
  • Change csr-active-config to 00000000 (see screenshot)
  • Add csr-active-cofig to the Delete section of NVRAM (see screenshot)
  • Reboot
These changes will be included in the next EFI release when OC 0.6.7 is released next month.
View attachment 509782View attachment 509783

There's no straightforward way of wiping this new partition, unfortunately.
Yo Casey thanks for the above - I'm in more of a pickle now though I'm afraid!

It did make it all the way to the point of removing the other 'Macintosh HD' parition/bootable icon from OC so there is now only one 'Macintosh HD' like normal :)

HoweverBig Sur is unbootable at all and reboots in an endless cycle upon trying to load.

EDIT: I've tried my backup of config.plist but same problem of endless reboot loops...is there a way of booting verbose and checking some code or something?

EDIT 2: Fixed issue by using “cleannvram.efi” from OC boot picker and using my config.plist and successfully updated

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z590 Vision D
CPU
i7-11700K OC @ 5.2GHz
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I haven't noticed an increase in temperature on my five Hackintoshes running macOS 11.3 public beta with OC 0.6.6. Perhaps the fans in your system are not spinning as fast with the newer VirtualSMC? Perhaps try OC 0.6.6 with VirtualSMC (and its two associated kexts) copied from the OC 0.6.5 folder?
Cool. Not sure what the issue is, so I just built OC and the kexts from source on GitHub and adapted my old config.plist and directory structure (i.e., remove Bootstrap) for the new changes in 0.6.6+. Now I'm idling at a cool 35 degrees. Thanks anyways!

jd6

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z490 Vision G
CPU
i5-11600k
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

@CaseySJ

i want to ask is it possible to disable the tb ports if don't need them to prevent issues on mb z490 vision d.
and are all m.2 sockets work or only two like gigabyte says on there site the one is preserved for the future cpus
cause in my country the mb D version is sold out and im waiting, or is it better to wait for the Z590 vision d

im doing much research before buying the parts so im doubting or the g or the d
the g is nice but the color I don't like so much but it has the display port out that's the only thing I like about it
but the d has only DisplayPort in and that I don't lik,

and if z490 vision d once configured its done or continue to work on it to get that and this to working.

every tip and advice is welcome I have read much here and looks like everybody have their own issues about the board.

thanks in advance.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Yo Casey thanks for the above - I'm in more of a pickle now though I'm afraid!

EDIT 2: Fixed issue by using “cleannvram.efi” from OC boot picker and using my config.plist and successfully updated
Just to follow-up:
  • Duplicate Macintosh HD is gone?
  • Big Sur 11.2.1 is up and running?