RX 5700
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hello @favoriti,

Despite making a serious attempt, I was unable to install Mojave on my Z490 Vision D. I'm not sure if anyone has installed Mojave on a Z490 system with Comet Lake CPU.

For Mojave, it is better to use a Z390 board with Coffee Lake such as Gigabyte Z390 Designare.
I came across a posting on another board about someone running Mojave on this Z490 Vision motherboard; it's a few months old article complete w/ screenshot.
I'm curious. I cross-checked with a youtube clip showing another Z490 with 10.14.
No details on how it's done, though.

nq8j3j143q451.png

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i7-10700K
Graphics
Sapphire RX6800
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@Higgie So to summarise, you have no SSDT to disable slot 1 or 2, you have your 6800 in slot 1 and your RX580 in slot 2. You boot macos and I am guessing you are using one output of the RX 580 connected to your monitor. then if you boot from windows, you use one output from your 6800 and I am also guessing that you have disabled your RX 580 in windows device manager or at least made the 6800 the default card in windows?
If it is the case, when in macos, you don't have any issue having 2 active video card? I don't think there is a way in macos like there is in windows to easily disable a video card. But if the above works, that's ok.
My only concern is that if I put the 6800 XT in slot 1, the card is so big that there is only a couple of mm between the 6800 xt and the backplane of the 5600 XT hence the airflow is heavily compromised. That is why I initially put it in slot 2.
  • No SSDT to disable either slot
  • RX6800 in slot 1, RX580 in slot 2
  • HDMI out of 580 to my monitor, I swap this cable to the 6800 when I want to boot Windows (until i get a switcher)
  • RX580 disabled via Device Manager in Windows
  • No issue in macOS so far, I haven’t tried putting it to sleep since having both cards powered (although sleep was broken with my previous 6800 - reference model with the USB-C port. My new Sapphire Nitro doesn’t have the USB-C output)
  • In retrospect I would have put my 6800 in slot 2, I just figured I wouldn’t have the 580 in there for long. Due to the size of the card I really wish I put it in slot 2, as I am now unable to remove it without taking my NH-D15S cooler off - reaching the PCIE slot latch is impossible!

etc

Motherboard
ROG Z490-E
CPU
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello @etc,

Attached zip contains two modified versions of firmware for the two cards:
  • thunderboltex-3-tr-MOD1-CaseySJ.bin
  • thunderboltex-3-tr-MOD2-CaseySJ.bin
  • gc-titan-ridge-v2-MOD1-CaseySJ.bin
  • gc-titan-ridge-v2-MOD2-CaseySJ.bin
Please try each one to see if Thunderbolt Bus activates (System Information --> Thunderbolt). Once we get to a working state, we can create an appropriate Thunderbolt DROM and then test actual Thunderbolt devices and monitors. Right now it's sufficient to just flash each one to the appropriate card and see whether Thunderbolt Bus activates.
So, the results. Good news: all these firmwares enabled TB Bus on 3-TR and GC-TR.

Speed is shown as "Up to 20Gb/s x2" instead of expected "Up to 40Gb/s x1"

3-TR-MOD1-TB-Bus.png

In depth

- If nothing is connected to AIC, the TB Bus won't be enabled, i. e. "No hardware was found" in the TB section. Valid for both cards.

- If UltraFine is connected on cold boot, TB Bus will be enabled on 3-TR. GC-TR won't enable it until you re-plug UltraFine after the boot.

- No UltraFine's internal devices are recognized on cold boot even if TB Bus is enabled. You won't see them in Camera and USB sections until you reboot the machine.

- To get TB working in Windows you need to boot macOS first. The TB controller will report errors, but all devices should work.

- No bootscreen on cold boot with UltraFine at all. You may get it after booting to macOS, i. e. on warm boot.

I even got an old Apple Thunderbolt Display working with that mod!

3-TR looks more stable with all that stuff, maybe because it's compatible with my motherboard. Flashing card also means that you lose boot screen on UltraFine, unfortunately.

@CaseySJ I'm bit concerned about TB speed, why it shows 2x 20 Gb/s links instead of single 40 Gb/s? Could it be fixed anyhow with another fw modification?

I have more Sys Report, Hackintool, etc. screenshots. If you need them, just ask.

----

The main reason of flashing AIC cards is getting full 5K resolution on UltraFine. But currently I don't have macOS compatible graphics card with two DP outs :( I'll try to get it asap.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i7-10700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Over the past couple of days, I've been working on a networking issue regarding the 2.5GbE port. Long story short: I've been upgrading my switch and a few devices to greater than 1GbE speeds. Synology DS1618+ and QNAP switch are 10GbE, and my hack is currently 2.5GbE. I've narrowed the issue down to read speeds only on the 2.5GbE port (1GbE port works at max bandwidth on both read/write). For some reason the read speeds top out at around 80MB/s on the 2.5GbE port. Read/write speeds are max throughput from Windows; no issue. I've already exhausted most of the common troubleshooting options (SMB settings, signing, encryption, MTU, etc.) so I'm 99% sure it's something (driver?) related to just the 2.5GbE port under macOS (Catalina and Big Sur).

Is there anything I can do in the OC config to troubleshoot the issue?

I'll eventually upgrade to this Syba 10GbE card, but I thought it's worth finding a solution in case anyone else has a similar issue.

Side note: in Big Sur, System Prefs>Network>Advanced>Hardware>Duplex is set to full-duplex, flow-control by default (when switching from Configure: Automatic to Manually), whereas in Catalina it's just set to full-duplex. I've read somewhere that ethernet flow-control is not preferred, but I'm no IT guy. I haven't noticed a difference either way in any of my troubleshooting.
@CaseySJ Have you ever used the IntelMausi driver instead of FakePCIID_Intel_I225-V for the 2.5GbE port? I found it via the Dortania site under Hardware Limitations. I'm curious if that's a viable troubleshooting strategy.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So, the results. Good news: all these firmwares enabled TB Bus on 3-TR and GC-TR.

Speed is shown as "Up to 20Gb/s x2" instead of expected "Up to 40Gb/s x1"
This will be fixed once I send a Thunderbolt SSDT with custom DROM (soon).

This is what I like to see!

- If nothing is connected to AIC, the TB Bus won't be enabled, i. e. "No hardware was found" in the TB section. Valid for both cards.
When holding the card vertically with the PCI pins facing the floor, are the top and middle pins of the 5-pin J1 header bridged? Don't worry about pin numbers, which are confusing. Just hold vertically and bridge the top and middle pins.

- If UltraFine is connected on cold boot, TB Bus will be enabled on 3-TR. GC-TR won't enable it until you re-plug UltraFine after the boot.

- No UltraFine's internal devices are recognized on cold boot even if TB Bus is enabled. You won't see them in Camera and USB sections until you reboot the machine.

- Same things in Windows, but you won't get internal devices working after reboot. You need to boot to macOS first.

- No bootscreen on cold boot with UltraFine at all. You may get it after booting to macOS, i. e. on warm boot.

I even got an old Apple Thunderbolt Display working with that mod!

3-TR looks more stable with all that stuff, maybe because it's compatible with my motherboard. Flashing card also means that you lose boot screen on UltraFine, unfortunately.
These are all unfortunately well known problems with add-in-cards. They work best after a warm reboot. No known solutions at this time...

@CaseySJ I'm bit concerned about TB speed, why it shows 2x 20 Gb/s links instead of single 40 Gb/s? Could it be fixed anyhow with another fw modification?
This will be fixed with SSDT.

etc

Motherboard
ROG Z490-E
CPU
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
When holding the card vertically with the PCI pins facing the floor, are the top and middle pins of the 5-pin J1 header bridged? Don't worry about pin numbers, which are confusing. Just hold vertically and bridge the top and middle pins.
Yes, they are bridged. I didn't noticed any differences if they bridged or not. It's for GC-TR.

With 3-TR card TB_HEADER is just connected to motherboard ofc.

These are all unfortunately well known problems with add-in-cards. They work best after a warm reboot. No known solutions at this time...
I remember when I just added SSDT for non-flashed GC-TR from HackinDROM internal devices were recognized on cold boot. Though the TB Bus wasn't enabled. I guess if TB Bus is enabled, SSDT won't fix this.

BTW if I won't get full 5K resolution, the unflashed 3-TR card would be the best option for my setup. At least because everything works in Windows (incl. 5K) and macOS (except 5K). With modified fw I get more issues :banghead:

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

BTW if I won't get full 5K resolution, the unflashed 3-TR card would be the best option for my setup. At least because everything works in Windows (incl. 5K) and macOS (except 5K). With modified fw I get more issues :banghead:
I believe it is possible to get full 5K resolution without flashing the card. In the Z390 Desginare thread there are numerous related posts. It's best to establish for oneself the pros and cons of both (a) flashed firmware and (b) original firmware, then decide which to keep.

For the Asus ThunderboltEX3-TR connected via THB_C header, is there an option in your BIOS (in the Thunderbolt section) called GPIO3 Force Power? If so, it should be enabled.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@CaseySJ Have you ever used the IntelMausi driver instead of FakePCIID_Intel_I225-V for the 2.5GbE port? I found it via the Dortania site under Hardware Limitations. I'm curious if that's a viable troubleshooting strategy.
IntelMausi does not support i225 as far as I know. We instead fake the device ID (to 0x15F2) using RehabMan's FakePCIID, which in turns attaches Apple's own driver.
Code:
com.apple.driver.AppleIntelI210Ethernet (2.3.1) 91AFEA11-63EC-317B-89AA-C5BF912AC30B <75 74 73 14 6 5 3 1>
Device 0x15F2 is the Intel i225-LM, which is natively supported in macOS:

Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 7.06.47 AM.png

The i225-V device ID is 0x15F3, which is not natively supported.

Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 7.07.50 AM.png

etc

Motherboard
ROG Z490-E
CPU
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I believe it is possible to get full 5K resolution without flashing the card. In the Z390 Desginare thread there are numerous related posts.
Okay, I'll look at it. I already tried RX580 with two DP ports to enable it, but no luck.

For the Asus ThunderboltEX3-TR connected via THB_C header, is there an option in your BIOS (in the Thunderbolt section) called GPIO3 Force Power? If so, it should be enabled.
Yes, it's present and enabled.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Okay, I'll look at it. I already tried RX580 with two DP ports to enable it, but no luck.

Yes, it's present and enabled.
I've added a Thunderbolt SSDT for Asus ThunderboltEX-3 TR to HackinDROM, as shown below. The PCI port is set to RP21, so simply change that to the actual port in your system. If you need help with this step, please post these two files:
  • IORegistryExplorer --> File --> Save As...
  • System DSDT (from MaciASL --> File --> New from ACPI --> System DSDT)
The SSDT for GC-Titan Ridge v1/v2 is already available from HackinDROM.
Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 7.32.37 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 7.32.18 AM.png

Please note that SSDT-DTPG.aml is also necessary because it provide a helper function (Method DTGP). That SSDT is attached.

After applying the SSDTs and rebooting, please check Link Speed once again. It should be 40 Gbps.

Attachments

• SSDT-DTPG.aml
    100 bytes · Views: 20