2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Which memory to buy:
Samsung B die vs hynix vs micron.....?
My recommendation is any name brand DDR4 3200MHz memory. DIMMs from G.Skill, Micron (Crucial), Corsair, OLoY, Patriot, and many others are perfectly okay.

Reactions: jd6

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z490 Creator
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

jd6

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z490 Vision G
CPU
i5-11600k
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Go to Gigabyte's website > the motherboard you're getting page > Support > Manuals > Support List > Memory Support List

For the Gigabyte Z490 Vision D > https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z490-VISION-D-rev-1x/support#support-doc

The Memory Support contains all the memory makes which Gigabyte tested with the Z490 Vision D. This list is a good place to start when looking for compatible memory.
i have seen the qvl list but the odd is that some memory kits are not listed in the mb qvl but the brand of the memory mentioned the z490 vision d in their qvl lis. strange

etc

Motherboard
ROG Z490-E
CPU
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi everyone!

I'm trying to enable TB Bus on GC-TITAN RIDGE 2.0. I used a modified (5v to 3.3v) CH341a programmer to flash and used GC-Titan-Ridge-V2.0-Mod-NVM50-CaseySJ.bin as a custom firmware. Before flashing compared the original NVM50 firmware with a modified one and have found only few differences, so the choice was right I think.

But with a modified firmware GC-TITAN RIDGE doesn't work at all. No output to LG UltraFine display at all (during boot either), macOS does not detect it: no PCI devices (including Hackintool and IORegistryExplorer), no hardware found in Thunderbolt section instead of 'No drivers were loaded', it just disappears completely. Have the same situation in Windows.

My MB is ASUS Z490-E Strix, so the TB_HEADER is not compatible with TITAN RIDGE. I tried to connect pins in THB_C together, but it did not help.

If I flash an original firmware back it starts working as before, without TB Bus.

I also have ThunderboltEX 3-TR AIC, which is compatible with ASUS MB and works much better. But there's no modified FW for it. Maybe someone could help with it?

Original firmwares I've read from GC-TITAN RIDGE 2.0 and ThunderboltEX 3-TR attached.

Attachments

• gc-titan-ridge-v2-original-blue.bin.zip
    276.1 KB · Views: 15
  • thunderboltex-3-tr-original.bin.zip
    443.3 KB · Views: 15
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i7-10700K
Graphics
Sapphire RX6800
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@Higgie did you hide the slot #1 via the relevant SSDT when booting macos? and where you able to boot mcos with the slot hidden from macOS?
I had my 5600 Xt in slot 1, then install my 6800 XT in slot 2, added the SSDT to hide slot 2 but I could not boot macOS. 50% in the boot sequence it crashed and the system reset. If I remove the 6800 XT but keep the SSDT to hide slot 2, I can boot macOS. And if I install only the 6800 XT in the system and do not hide slot 2, I can boot macOS but of course I have no acceleration.
I have not tried yet booting windows with 2 cards and slot 2 hidden. I wanted to make sure that I could boot macOS first.
I remember reading something on this forum about someone having 2 cards and the system crashing if the non supported video card in macos was in slot 2. did I read it correctly or am I dreaming :) ?
No SSDT is used in my case. I had the same experience as you, in that macOS would crash during the boot sequence. If I remove the SSDT, it boots fine again. I would love to get the SSDT working but I couldn’t figure it out, so I’ve just left it as is.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i7-10700K
Graphics
AMD RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Centris
  2. Power Mac
  3. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This is admittedly a low-priority problem and purely cosmetic, but it bugs me and we're all Mac folks who care about attention to detail in GUIs, so here goes:

I have a rock-solid Vision D Z490 build thanks to @CaseySJ since this summer. This thread has been awesome. But I've not been able to fix a graphics problem in OpenCanopy on my setup through multiple iterations of OpenCore including the upgrade OC0.6.6 per the latest EFI package @CaseySJ has been kind enough to provide. I'm running Z490 Vision D | i7 10700K | RX 580 Pulse 8GB as shown in my profile with two LG HDR 4K monitors (27UK850-W) attached via HDMI 1 inputs with good quality cables. Picture on both monitors is normally fantastic. EXCEPT for the OpenCore OpenCanopy GUI. Then, it's pixelated garbage and hard to read as shown below/attached in example pictures taken with my iPhone.

Text rendering is horrible in the picker and icons are somewhat pixelated as you can see, even after the picker when boot moves to the Apple logo with progress bar. Once the system swaps into the login screen with user pictures, everything is gorgeous. But this is annoying. I tried changing some OpenCanopy resolution configuration edits in OpenCore config.txt, but nothing has worked well. I want to keep 4K resolution and the icons small to avoid left-to-right scrolling in 4K, but with high resolution and crisp readable text. Any ideas? :)

IMG_6064.jpeg

IMG_6065.jpeg

IMG_6066.jpeg

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi everyone!

I'm trying to enable TB Bus on GC-TITAN RIDGE 2.0. I used a modified (5v to 3.3v) CH341a programmer to flash and used GC-Titan-Ridge-V2.0-Mod-NVM50-CaseySJ.bin as a custom firmware. Before flashing compared the original NVM50 firmware with a modified one and have found only few differences, so the choice was right I think.

But with a modified firmware GC-TITAN RIDGE doesn't work at all. No output to LG UltraFine display at all (during boot either), macOS does not detect it: no PCI devices (including Hackintool and IORegistryExplorer), no hardware found in Thunderbolt section instead of 'No drivers were loaded', it just disappears completely. Have the same situation in Windows.

My MB is ASUS Z490-E Strix, so the TB_HEADER is not compatible with TITAN RIDGE. I tried to connect pins in THB_C together, but it did not help.

If I flash an original firmware back it starts working as before, without TB Bus.

I also have ThunderboltEX 3-TR AIC, which is compatible with ASUS MB and works much better. But there's no modified FW for it. Maybe someone could help with it?

Original firmwares I've read from GC-TITAN RIDGE 2.0 and ThunderboltEX 3-TR attached.
Hello @etc,

Attached zip contains two modified versions of firmware for the two cards:
  • thunderboltex-3-tr-MOD1-CaseySJ.bin
  • thunderboltex-3-tr-MOD2-CaseySJ.bin
  • gc-titan-ridge-v2-MOD1-CaseySJ.bin
  • gc-titan-ridge-v2-MOD2-CaseySJ.bin
Please try each one to see if Thunderbolt Bus activates (System Information --> Thunderbolt). Once we get to a working state, we can create an appropriate Thunderbolt DROM and then test actual Thunderbolt devices and monitors. Right now it's sufficient to just flash each one to the appropriate card and see whether Thunderbolt Bus activates.

Attachments

• ASUS-TB3-TR and GC-TR-V2.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
Reactions: etc

etc

Motherboard
ROG Z490-E
CPU
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello @etc,

Attached zip contains two modified versions of firmware for the two cards:
  • thunderboltex-3-tr-MOD1-CaseySJ.bin
  • thunderboltex-3-tr-MOD2-CaseySJ.bin
  • gc-titan-ridge-v2-MOD1-CaseySJ.bin
  • gc-titan-ridge-v2-MOD2-CaseySJ.bin
Please try each one to see if Thunderbolt Bus activates (System Information --> Thunderbolt). Once we get to a working state, we can create an appropriate Thunderbolt DROM and then test actual Thunderbolt devices and monitors. Right now it's sufficient to just flash each one to the appropriate card and see whether Thunderbolt Bus activates.
Omg, thank you so much! :eek:
I'll post the results asap

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
I7-10700K
Graphics
5600XT & 6800 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
No SSDT is used in my case. I had the same experience as you, in that macOS would crash during the boot sequence. If I remove the SSDT, it boots fine again. I would love to get the SSDT working but I couldn’t figure it out, so I’ve just left it as is.
@Higgie So to summarise, you have no SSDT to disable slot 1 or 2, you have your 6800 in slot 1 and your RX580 in slot 2. You boot macos and I am guessing you are using one output of the RX 580 connected to your monitor. then if you boot from windows, you use one output from your 6800 and I am also guessing that you have disabled your RX 580 in windows device manager or at least made the 6800 the default card in windows?
If it is the case, when in macos, you don't have any issue having 2 active video card? I don't think there is a way in macos like there is in windows to easily disable a video card. But if the above works, that's ok.
My only concern is that if I put the 6800 XT in slot 1, the card is so big that there is only a couple of mm between the 6800 xt and the backplane of the 5600 XT hence the airflow is heavily compromised. That is why I initially put it in slot 2.