Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

So, the results. Good news: all these firmwares enabled TB Bus on 3-TR and GC-TR.

Speed is shown as "Up to 20Gb/s x2" instead of expected "Up to 40Gb/s x1"
This will be fixed once I send a Thunderbolt SSDT with custom DROM (soon).

This is what I like to see!

- If nothing is connected to AIC, the TB Bus won't be enabled, i. e. "No hardware was found" in the TB section. Valid for both cards.
When holding the card vertically with the PCI pins facing the floor, are the top and middle pins of the 5-pin J1 header bridged? Don't worry about pin numbers, which are confusing. Just hold vertically and bridge the top and middle pins.

- If UltraFine is connected on cold boot, TB Bus will be enabled on 3-TR. GC-TR won't enable it until you re-plug UltraFine after the boot.

- No UltraFine's internal devices are recognized on cold boot even if TB Bus is enabled. You won't see them in Camera and USB sections until you reboot the machine.

- Same things in Windows, but you won't get internal devices working after reboot. You need to boot to macOS first.

- No bootscreen on cold boot with UltraFine at all. You may get it after booting to macOS, i. e. on warm boot.

I even got an old Apple Thunderbolt Display working with that mod!

3-TR looks more stable with all that stuff, maybe because it's compatible with my motherboard. Flashing card also means that you lose boot screen on UltraFine, unfortunately.
These are all unfortunately well known problems with add-in-cards. They work best after a warm reboot. No known solutions at this time...

@CaseySJ I'm bit concerned about TB speed, why it shows 2x 20 Gb/s links instead of single 40 Gb/s? Could it be fixed anyhow with another fw modification?
This will be fixed with SSDT.

When holding the card vertically with the PCI pins facing the floor, are the top and middle pins of the 5-pin J1 header bridged? Don't worry about pin numbers, which are confusing. Just hold vertically and bridge the top and middle pins.
Yes, they are bridged. I didn't noticed any differences if they bridged or not. It's for GC-TR.

With 3-TR card TB_HEADER is just connected to motherboard ofc.

These are all unfortunately well known problems with add-in-cards. They work best after a warm reboot. No known solutions at this time...
I remember when I just added SSDT for non-flashed GC-TR from HackinDROM internal devices were recognized on cold boot. Though the TB Bus wasn't enabled. I guess if TB Bus is enabled, SSDT won't fix this.

BTW if I won't get full 5K resolution, the unflashed 3-TR card would be the best option for my setup. At least because everything works in Windows (incl. 5K) and macOS (except 5K). With modified fw I get more issues :banghead:

BTW if I won't get full 5K resolution, the unflashed 3-TR card would be the best option for my setup. At least because everything works in Windows (incl. 5K) and macOS (except 5K). With modified fw I get more issues :banghead:
I believe it is possible to get full 5K resolution without flashing the card. In the Z390 Desginare thread there are numerous related posts. It's best to establish for oneself the pros and cons of both (a) flashed firmware and (b) original firmware, then decide which to keep.

For the Asus ThunderboltEX3-TR connected via THB_C header, is there an option in your BIOS (in the Thunderbolt section) called GPIO3 Force Power? If so, it should be enabled.

@CaseySJ Have you ever used the IntelMausi driver instead of FakePCIID_Intel_I225-V for the 2.5GbE port? I found it via the Dortania site under Hardware Limitations. I'm curious if that's a viable troubleshooting strategy.
IntelMausi does not support i225 as far as I know. We instead fake the device ID (to 0x15F2) using RehabMan's FakePCIID, which in turns attaches Apple's own driver.
Code:
com.apple.driver.AppleIntelI210Ethernet (2.3.1) 91AFEA11-63EC-317B-89AA-C5BF912AC30B <75 74 73 14 6 5 3 1>
Device 0x15F2 is the Intel i225-LM, which is natively supported in macOS:

Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 7.06.47 AM.png

The i225-V device ID is 0x15F3, which is not natively supported.

Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 7.07.50 AM.png

I believe it is possible to get full 5K resolution without flashing the card. In the Z390 Desginare thread there are numerous related posts.
Okay, I'll look at it. I already tried RX580 with two DP ports to enable it, but no luck.

For the Asus ThunderboltEX3-TR connected via THB_C header, is there an option in your BIOS (in the Thunderbolt section) called GPIO3 Force Power? If so, it should be enabled.
Yes, it's present and enabled.

Okay, I'll look at it. I already tried RX580 with two DP ports to enable it, but no luck.

Yes, it's present and enabled.
I've added a Thunderbolt SSDT for Asus ThunderboltEX-3 TR to HackinDROM, as shown below. The PCI port is set to RP21, so simply change that to the actual port in your system. If you need help with this step, please post these two files:
  • IORegistryExplorer --> File --> Save As...
  • System DSDT (from MaciASL --> File --> New from ACPI --> System DSDT)
The SSDT for GC-Titan Ridge v1/v2 is already available from HackinDROM.
Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 7.32.37 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 7.32.18 AM.png

Please note that SSDT-DTPG.aml is also necessary because it provide a helper function (Method DTGP). That SSDT is attached.

After applying the SSDTs and rebooting, please check Link Speed once again. It should be 40 Gbps.

Attachments

• SSDT-DTPG.aml
    100 bytes · Views: 53
Hi @CaseySJ, I just tried your Opencore 0.6.6 folder and it works!

But I noticed a +10 degree C temp increase (at idle) using 0.6.6 vs 0.6.5 (and windows). In both Windows, and MacOS 11.2.1 on OC 0.6.5, my system is a cool 33-35 degrees C at idle. However, when I load macOS with your 0.6.6 folder, idle temps are warmer at 43 degrees C. No changes in BIOS settings or voltage/frequency settings. I ensured to close all apps, and end any services sucking CPU power, and waited until the system was idle (using Intel Power Gadget).

I haven't done a ton of testing yet to see if it's related to a new .kext, .efi. or .aml file, but perhaps it is something that you may want to take a look at. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi @CaseySJ, I just tried your Opencore 0.6.6 folder and it works!

But I noticed a +10 degree C temp increase (at idle) using 0.6.6 vs 0.6.5 (and windows). In both Windows, and MacOS 11.2.1 on OC 0.6.5, my system is a cool 33 degrees C at idle. However, when I load macOS with your 0.6.6 folder, idle temps are much warmer at 43 degrees C. No changes in BIOS settings or voltage/frequency settings. I ensured to close all apps, and end any services sucking CPU power, and waited until the system was idle (using Intel Power Gadget).

I haven't done a ton of testing yet to see if it's related to a new kext, .efi. or .aml. file, but perhaps it is something that you may want to take a look at. Thanks!
I haven't noticed an increase in temperature on my five Hackintoshes running macOS 11.3 public beta with OC 0.6.6. Perhaps the fans in your system are not spinning as fast with the newer VirtualSMC? Perhaps try OC 0.6.6 with VirtualSMC (and its two associated kexts) copied from the OC 0.6.5 folder?

I've added a Thunderbolt SSDT for Asus ThunderboltEX-3 TR to HackinDROM, as shown below. The PCI port is set to RP21, so simply change that to the actual port in your system. If you need help with this step, please post these two files:
  • IORegistryExplorer --> File --> Save As...
  • System DSDT (from MaciASL --> File --> New from ACPI --> System DSDT)
The SSDT for GC-Titan Ridge v1/v2 is already available from HackinDROM.
View attachment 509774View attachment 509773
Please note that SSDT-DTPG.aml is also necessary because it provide a helper function (Method DTGP). That SSDT is attached.

After applying the SSDTs and rebooting, please check Link Speed once again. It should be 40 Gbps.
You're magician!

3-TR-MOD2-TB-Bus+SSDT.png

SSDT helped to get internal devices on cold boot too! Woohoo!

So the last thing remains is finding RX580 again to test 5K res. @CaseyJS you just rock!

Hi Casey/all,

I've pulled a bit of a boo-boo with my hack and need some help I'm afraid!

I tried to update to latest Big Sur (11.2.1) from 11.2 using Software Update.

Everything was looking like it was working fine so I left the machine to it (after a few restarts) and went off for a cup of tea (yes I'm British!!).

I came back and was confused to find a dialogue window in Big Sur asking if I wanted to enable Siri. I clicked no and it returned me to Big Sur Desktop.

I then noticed that it looked like the update had failed as Software update was still offering 11.2.1 to me.

So, I rebooted and found that I now have 2x 'Macintosh HD' bootable partitions...except only ONE of them is the working one and the other just reboots endlessly in a restart cycle. I'd be fine with this except its impossible to tell which one is which lol!

This is what happened last time I tried to update to 11.2 from 11.1. The fix then was to press space bar and load up 11.1 recovery and to a disk repair in Disk Utility from the recovery partition.

Problem is, it won't even let me into the recovery partition to even perform this! Comes up with a couple of errors top left saying:

OCB: Disk image altered
OCB: Load image failed

I did try Disk Utility straight from Big Sur and notice I've now got an extra partition (see attached image) which I'm guessing is the one we want to nuke.

Anyone know how to fix all of this? I don't want to be left behind with these updates but equally am half way through an album so need a machine I can rely on!

Thank you for taking the time to read this :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 16.43.29.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 16.43.29.png
    484.9 KB · Views: 42
Back