Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Some comments and suggestions:
  • Linux has the nasty habit of co-installing its EFI into an existing EFI folder. As you discovered, that's why macOS could no longer boot.
  • If you don't mind reinstalling Linux once again, I would suggest this procedure:
    • Boot into macOS
    • Run Disk Utility and erase the Linux disk. Format it as follows:
      • Name: Anything appropriate
      • Format: exFAT (don't worry, Linux will change this to ext4)
      • Scheme: GUID Partition Map (this is critical -- this will create EFI partition)
  • Then shutdown the system and flip power switch on PSU to OFF.
  • Physically disconnect/remove all macOS and Windows SSDs.
  • Power up the system and install Linux. Now there will be only one SDD, hence Linux will not corrupt any other EFI partition.
  • Then shutdown the system and flip power switch on PSU to OFF once again.
  • Reinstall both macOS and Windows SSDs.
  • Boot into OpenCore Picker.
  • Do you see boot options now for all three operating systems?
  • If so, can OpenCore boot Linux properly?
Option 2:
If you post a screenshot of the Linux EFI folder (all directories expanded) I can see if we can quickly fix the problem. No guarantees, but this is simpler than reinstalling Linux.
Hey Casey,

Thanks for your suggestions. I did compare my Ubuntu Linux EFI folder to to the one you posted in your original answer and to my eyes they look identical. I can also boot Linux from BIOS just not OC. I've attached a picture if you are interested in looking at it. As you say, taking out the GPU and removing the two NVMe drives to install Linux risks causing a hardware issue with a working machine. Instead guess what...

I have two old Mac Pro's in the basement. One is the water cooled version with the IBM processor. The other is a 2009 Mac Pro. I though both were dead and I've been meaning to scrap them. But I decided to put a disk in the 2009 and try to boot the linux installer. Guess what, it booted. So instead of installing Linux on my new Hackintosh, I have installed it on my 2009 Mac Pro.

Thanks for the help! Brilliant as always!

Rand

Image 2-2-21 at 8.05 AM.jpg

I select Windows 10 how Windows will know that it will need to use the 6800 XT and not the 5600 XT?

In Device Manager in Windows you can disable the other card, just like the ssdt does for macOS.

@CaseySJ and the others. I am about to pull the plug and get a 6800 XT. I'll use my 5600 XT until Big Sur supports 6xxx series, and I can transfer the 5600 XT to my other older PC. Someone mentioned that it is OK to add dual GPUs, and disable the 6800 XT in macOS via a SSDT. Which is fine since I believe there are guides on this forum.
The Z390 Designare build guide (at the bottom of that guide in post 1 of that thread) contains an SSDT to disable GPU in Slot 1, and another SSDT to disable GPU in Slot 2.

If you're using OpenCore, I would suggest modifying the SSDT by enclosing them in this conditional:
Code:
if (_OSI ("Darwin"))
{
    // copy the code block here
}
This means that the GPU will only be disabled in macOS, but Windows can still use both cards. If you'd like me to check the modified SSDT, feel free to post it.
My next stupid question is about the display. I am assuming that with such configuration, you will need both card display ports (I am using DisplayPort) connected to 2 separate connectors on the monitor. If the monitor is recent enough there should not be a need to manually switch input (which my current monitor seems to do). However, I only have 1 DP so I am guessing I will need a switch 2 -> 1, something like that or use eventually the HDMI input on the monitor via a DP to HDMI adapter which I already have. Also I am also assuming that the card defined in the priority list in the BIOS for booting will be the one to display the boot post. Assuming that I have the 5600 XT first priority in the BIOS, then from the OC picker I select Windows 10 how Windows will know that it will need to use the 6800 XT and not the 5600 XT?
Because both cards have DP and HDMI, you can use DP from one card and HDMI from another.

** OpenCore 0.6.6 EFI for Z490 Vision D **
Supports both Catalina and Big Sur
Please do not quote this post in its entirely. Use a link instead.

Requires OpenCore Configurator 2.27.0.0 or Newer.

URGENT: Set OpenCore Configurator "Preferences" to OpenCore 0.6.6 Release Version

NOTE:
If you are using OpenIntelWireless to drive the on-board Intel AX201 WiFi/BT module, please jump to this post instead (updated for OpenCore 0.6.6 with OpenIntelWireless 1.3.0-Alpha drivers).​

The formal release of OpenCore 0.6.6 has arrived, along with an update of Lilu, WhateverGreen, AppleALC, and VirtualSMC.

This EFI contains the following changes:

Bootloader / Kexts:
All of the items listed below are official builds.
  • OpenCore 0.6.6
  • Lilu 1.5.1
  • WhateverGreen 1.4.7
  • AppleALC 1.5.7
  • VirtualSMC 1.2.0
  • New and updated OpenCore "Resources" files (images, icons, audio, fonts) required by latest OpenCanopy
config.plist Changes:
  • Misc --> Security --> SecureBootModel --> Disabled (change to Default for OpenIntelWireless)
  • Misc --> Security --> BlackListAppleUpdate --> Enabled
  • Misc --> Boot --> PollAppleHotKeys --> Enabled (allows Verbose mode to be enabled by pressing CMD-V at Picker)
  • Misc --> Boot --> PickerAttributes --> 0x25 (allows mouse control in Picker)
  • Misc --> Boot --> BootProtect --> This feature has been replaced by LauncherOption, which has been set to Full
  • UEFI --> Drivers --> HfsPlus.efi replaced with OpenHfsPlus.efi <-- 4-Feb-2021: Switched back to HfsPlus.efi due to issues with OpenHfsPlus.efi
How to Use:
  1. Find a USB flash disk with an EFI partition, or format the USB flash disk in Disk Utility with Scheme = GUID Partition Map and Format = MacOS Extended (Journaled).
  2. Mount EFI partition of the USB flash disk.
  3. Download the attached ZIP into the top level of the EFI partition of the USB flash disk. When the file is unzipped, there will be a folder called OC-066-VISION-D.
  4. Rename this folder to EFI, otherwise the system will not boot.
  5. Use HackinDROM to transfer PlatformInfo from existing OpenCore config.plist to new version. Please follow the guide by clicking here and see screenshot below.
Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 11.33.11 AM.png
After the modified config.plist has been copied to the EFI/OC folder of the USB flash disk, proceed as follows:
  1. Reboot and press F12 at the BIOS Splash Screen. When the BIOS Boot Menu (not OpenCore Picker) appears, select the USB flash disk.
  2. Warning: It is necessary to Reset NVRAM one time prior to booting macOS. This can be done by pressing spacebar at the OpenCore Picker and choosing Reset NVRAM. On multi-boot systems, select the default startup disk in System Preferences --> Startup Disk.
  3. At the OpenCore 0.6.6 Picker menu, select and boot the internal macOS disk.
  4. If everything works correctly, copy the new OpenCore EFI folder from the USB flash disk to the EFI partition of the main macOS SSD.
CAUTION:
  • If you are using a custom Thunderbolt SSDT or any other custom SSDTs or Kexts, please update your config.plist accordingly.
  • During startup or reboot, the Gigabyte splash screen may take several seconds to clear, which means the OpenCore Picker GUI will take more time to appear. If this happens, the delay could be fixed by removing AudioDxe.efi from the OpenCore config.plist.
NOTE:
  • Because some systems may not boot properly without a Fake CPU ID, the following are pre-entered:
    • OpenCore Configurator --> Kernel --> Cpuid1Data = EB060800 00000000 00000000 00000000
    • OpenCore Configurator --> Kernel --> Cpuid1Mask = FFFFFFFF 00000000 00000000 00000000
  • You may delete both of these entries and check if your system still boots.

Gigabyte Z490 Vision G (not D)

OpenCore 0.6.6 EFI folder for the Gigabyte Z490 Vision G is also attached below. The filename is:

EFI-066-VISION-G-NOT-D.zip

Attachments

• OC-066-VISION-D.zip
    4.8 MB · Views: 333
  • EFI-066-VISION-G-NOT-D.zip
    4.8 MB · Views: 468
Last edited:
OpenCore 0.6.6 has been released. Will replace this post with OC 0.6.6 mini-guide soon.

I haven't read the documentation yet but I have noticed that the Bootstrap folder and bootstrap.efi have disappeared. I wonder if this is an oversight.

Is it just me or is there something wrong with the 0.6.6 version?

Because if I update to 0.6.6 it won't boot into O.C. It just hangs at a black screen. I've done the O.C. updates from this tutorial in the past but this one does not work for me.

I followed the update guide but because that did not work I did a manual update by editing the config.plist in Brackets and pasted the PlatformInfo into the new config.plist like I have done before. But unfortunately it did not fixed the problem.

Also tried booting into o.c. 0.6.5 and do a Reset NVRAM from there but O.C. 0.6.6 still won't boot.

Anyone else having this problem??

Is it just me or is there something wrong with the 0.6.6 version?

Because if I update to 0.6.6 it won't boot into O.C. It just hangs at a black screen. I've done the O.C. updates from this tutorial in the past but this one does not work for me.

I followed the update guide but because that did not work I did a manual update by editing the config.plist in Brackets and pasted the PlatformInfo into the new config.plist like I have done before. But unfortunately it did not fixed the problem.

Also tried booting into o.c. 0.6.5 and do a Reset NVRAM from there but O.C. 0.6.6 still won't boot.

Anyone else having this problem??
Please check that you've done the following:
  • Downloaded the ZIP file and renamed the parent folder to EFI
  • Transferred your PlatformInfo credentials into config-AMD-GPU.plist located in the OpenCore 0.6.6 OC folder
  • Renamed this modified file to config.plist
  • Then copied the entire new EFI folder to the EFI partition of a USB flash disk
  • Then booted from the USB flash disk:
    • Pressing F12 at Gigabyte splash screen
    • Selecting USB flash disk
    • Then checking if OpenCore Picker GUI appears?
Also check these two pages:
Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 2.27.37 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-02 at 2.27.40 PM.png

Hello CaseySJ,
I have installed a 10G network card SFN5122F on Big Sur, which cause sleep/wake issue.
After sleep, it can not wake again.
Can you give me a help? Thank you very much.
@jerrium were you able to find the solution for this? my SFN5122F was working flawless on Catalina but when updated to Big Sur (OpenCore), it crahes when sleeping.

Any others have any idea? Wonder if driver needs updating? Where could I find? Thanks in advance:

1612305143771.png

Please check that you've done the following:
  • Downloaded the ZIP file and renamed the parent folder to EFI
  • Transferred your PlatformInfo credentials into config-AMD-GPU.plist located in the OpenCore 0.6.6 OC folder
  • Renamed this modified file to config.plist
  • Then copied the entire new EFI folder to the EFI partition of a USB flash disk
  • Then booted from the USB flash disk:
    • Pressing F12 at Gigabyte splash screen
    • Selecting USB flash disk
    • Then checking if OpenCore Picker GUI appears?
Thanks for your quick reply. I did all that the only difference is that I copied it to my system EFI partition and not a usb stick. And I edited the config.plist to enable the Aqua 10Gbit patch that was already inserted starting from version 0.6.5. I just enabled it.

I used my MacOS install USB with 0.6.5 to get back into the OS and reversed back to 0.6.5

oh and I deleted everything in the System EFI partition before I copied the 0.6.6 version to it.

Back