Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Every Gigabyte board has dual BIOS AFAIK. My Z68 board from 2011 has it.

See: https://www.coreboot.org/Gigabyte_Dual_bios
Cool beans!

I’ll have to look into to how to recover/boot from the backup if ever the main BIOS is corrupted.

I’m also glad that the Vision D has bios flashback, although I wish the flashback button was on the I/O shield part of the board... so you don’t have to open your case to complete the procedure. I feel that BIOS flashback should become standard on most, if not all boards.

So many people have bought Zen3 plus B550 or even X570, only to realize there’s no BIOS flashback option, and they need an older CPU to boot with, so they can update the BIOS, in order to use Zen3. anyways, thanks for the info!!

I’ll have to look into to how to recover/boot from the backup if ever the main bios is corrupted.
It's supposed to switch to the secondary BIOS if that happens. See the following chart from Gigabyte.
Screen Shot.jpg

Gigabyte says the backup BIOS contains code that will overwrite the main BIOS if it determines that it is corrupted. I've never had to recover from a bad flash so I've not tested this out to give you a definite answer. Would be interested to hear if anyone has had this happen and what the results were.

Last edited:
Gigabyte claims the backup BIOS can not be flashed by the user. It contains code that will overwrite the main BIOS if it determines that it is corrupted. I've never had to recover from a bad flash so I've not tested this out to give you a definite answer. Would be interested to hear if anyone has had this happen.
Screenshot 2021-01-29 at 20.18.15.png

All of my boards can, Z370, Z390, sTRX40. They all have the option as in the screen shot. This is from the Windows App for doing it, but it is also an option if you boot into the bios and select to update from there.

All of my boards can, Z370, Z390, sTRX40. They all have the option as in the screen shot below. This is from the Windows App for doing it, but it is also an option if you boot into the bios and select to update from there.
I don't own anything Z370 or newer so I've not seen that option. It's probably not a good idea to update the main and backup BIOS at the same time to the same version for obvious reasons.

Installing an booting Linux on a third drive.

I have Mac OS X 11 and Windows 10 installed on my Hackintosh on two internal NVE drives. I've installed an SATA SSD drive and was able to boot and install Linux to this drive. OpenCore, however, does not see this drive. Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can boot Ubuntu Linux from the drive using OpenCore and have a 3 drive multi-boot system that works with OpenCore?

Thanks

Rand

From memory, when I had a Mint drive attached to my machine, I had to enable RebuildAppleMemoryMap in config.plist.

There may have been 1 other setting but I can’t remember off hand atm.

i’ll have a look tomorrow to see if it jogs my memory.

From memory, when I had a Mint drive attached to my machine, I had to enable RebuildAppleMemoryMap in config.plist.

There may have been 1 other setting but I can’t remember off hand atm.

i’ll have a look tomorrow to see if it jogs my memory.
Thanks Ploddles. I'll look for that option and try it if I find it.

Rand

Installing an booting Linux on a third drive.

I have Mac OS X 11 and Windows 10 installed on my Hackintosh on two internal NVE drives. I've installed an SATA SSD drive and was able to boot and install Linux to this drive. OpenCore, however, does not see this drive. Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can boot Ubuntu Linux from the drive using OpenCore and have a 3 drive multi-boot system that works with OpenCore?

Thanks

Rand
I have the same three operating systems on my Z490 Vision D, each on its own disk.
  • Each disk was formatted with Scheme = GUID Partition Map, which means each disk has its own EFI partition.
    • macOS NVMe SSD with its EFI partition containing OpenCore
    • Windows SATA SSD with its EFI partition containing Microsoft boot loader
    • Ubuntu SATA SSD with its EFI partition containing Ubuntu boot loader
  • When I installed Ubuntu, it installed its boot loader to one of the other SSDs (not to its own EFI partition).
    • So I simply moved those files into the EFI partition of the Ubuntu SSD.
Here are the resulting screenshots of the three EFI partitions:

This one is for macOS with OpenCore. It's the one specified in BIOS as Boot Priority #1.
Screen Shot 2021-01-29 at 3.55.29 PM.png

This is the EFI partition on the Windows SSD. Note that the Microsoft folder takes precedence. The Windows boot loader is within the "Microsoft" folder:
Screen Shot 2021-01-29 at 3.55.50 PM.png

And here is the EFI partition on the Ubuntu SSD. This one is just for Ubuntu. Now OpenCore will automatically detect Ubuntu Linux.
Screen Shot 2021-01-29 at 3.55.39 PM.png

In the top level of this partition (not inside the EFI subfolder) I've also copied a file called .VolumeIcon.icns that contains a Linux boot volume icon. If this file exists, OpenCore will use it automatically! I've attached that file (zip) below, but had to remove the leading dot from its name. If you choose to use it, simply copy it to the EFI partition of the Linux SSD, then open Terminal and rename the file: mv VolumeIcon.icns .VolumeIcon.icns. You will, of course, need to "cd" to the correct folder first: cd /Volumes/<name-of-EFI>.

Screen Shot 2021-01-29 at 4.08.55 PM.png

Here is the resulting OpenCore Picker menu:

30001446.png

Notice the label Kubuntu 20.04? We can specify any disk label of our choosing by creating a file in the EFI/BOOT folder called .disk_label.contentDetails as shown here:

Screen Shot 2021-01-29 at 4.22.24 PM.png

Attachments

• VolumeIcon.icns.zip
    19.5 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
back to my question a few posts ago on the AMD 6xxx series. someone said that video acceleration is not supported yet. What will happen to my system if I simply install a 6xxx series video card? will it be able to boot and will I be able to use the system amid not the expected performances? I am mainly using it for basic stuff like email, netflix, surfing the net (usually new2s, youtube, etc.) and also from time to time with Lightroom but no intensive processing (just adjusting exposure, WB, etc.).
The reason is that if I put 2 video cards in my system until 6XXX series are supported, I might have to change my power supply (because my understanding is that even if I disable the 6XXX under macos I still need to provide power to the card and the power supply does not have the extra power output connectors).
Hence if I can boot and use the system and it is not sluggish when using it the way I use it now, then I am ok to install such a video card until time comes to get the support in big sur. And if this never happens, then I'll think of changing the power supply and reintroduce my 5600 XT.
Thanks

My i225V ethernet suddenly died...No MAC address and not detected on Windows or OSX :banghead:
i tried to reflash the firmware with firmware tool 1.45 on Gigabyte download page but no luck.

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2021-01-30 à 01.09.37.png
    Capture d’écran 2021-01-30 à 01.09.37.png
    148.7 KB · Views: 41
Back