Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

I followed this guidelines and temps still got to 100 degrees when running Cinebench R23 Multicore, for a 11794 score.
With Turbo Boost and Turbo Boost Max disabled, score was 7842 but temps were 65 degrees.
I guess I'll have to live with that lower performance for the time being.
Anyway, I think I'm not going to be able to get a cooler past $50, so I wonder if that cooler would be able to take those 100 degree marks down to acceptable (~65?) temps...

Been further testing. With Turbo Boost disabled but Turbo Boost Max enabled I got better temp results compared to both Disabled, with no signifcant performance loss.
All Cinebench is run on Win 10

Both disabled:
Cinebench R23 Multi core 7842 at 65 degrees
Cinebench R23 Single core 787 at 58 degrees

Turbo Boost disabled but Turbo Boost Max enabled:
Cinebench R23 Multi core 7768 at 60 degrees
Cinebench R23 Single core 780 at 45 degrees

So I guess I'll keep this settings until I get a cooler.
Any input is welcome.

Been further testing. With Turbo Boost disabled but Turbo Boost Max enabled I got better temp results compared to both Disabled, with no signifcant performance loss.
All Cinebench is run on Win 10

So now I'm noticing the changes I made in BIOS somehow don't reflect when running OS Catalina.
Cinebench R23 score was 12264 but temps ramped up to 100 degrees, so I guess this is where VCore settings play their role...

The only way I found this far to get similar results in OS to what I accomplished in Windows was to set Per Core Limits of 29x.
That way the CPU is running at roughly its base speed and I'm getting Cinebench results analogue to the ones in Windows, but with significantly higher temps.

On Win 10, Turbo Boost disabled but Turbo Boost Max enabled:

On Os, Per Core Limit on 29x for all cores:
Cinebench R23 Multi core 8087 at 85 degrees
Cinebench R23 Single core 749 at 55 degrees

Last edited:
I'm booting from a Sabrent Rocket NVMe SSD installed in the bottom (M2P) slot. Only 6-10 seconds of delay. However, I must also say that log entries are asynchronous, so the "delay" does not mean the system is stalled because other threads continue to run. But because you're noticing an actual measured delay (i.e. using a stopwatch) when booting from NVMe versus SATA SSD, then there is something there. But I would not really worry about it.

Total boot time from OpenCore Picker to macOS Login Screen: 24.55 seconds

View attachment 484774
@CaseySJ I have built a system very simillar to the one in your excellent comet lake Z490 Vision D build. Have it up and running really well with Catalina 15.7 - My problem is that I have installed the SABRENT 1TB NVME Pcie card in the M2P slot and cloned my SSD startup drive onto it. Can boot from both the EVO 860 SSD and the SABRENT M2 via OC 064 bootloader BUT I can't work out how to boot from the NVME on it's own. When I unplug the EVO the system only boots to the BIOS screen and the NVME is not listed in the boot order options in the BIOS (F5). Is there something I need to do to get the NVME to show up in the boot order? By the way it shows up in the PCIE configuration in BIOS and is named SABRENT. And to recap - I can boot successfully from that drive through OC bootloader but only if the EVO SSD ( also bootable) is also present. Any help much appreciated.

Z490 VISION D
i9 10850
SABRENT NVME PCiE 1TB
EVO 860 2TB
CATALINA 15.7
OC 064
MSI RADEON RX5700 XT GAMING

@CaseySJ I have built a system very simillar to the one in your excellent comet lake Z490 Vision D build. Have it up and running really well with Catalina 15.7 - My problem is that I have installed the SABRENT 1TB NVME Pcie card in the M2P slot and cloned my SSD startup drive onto it. Can boot from both the EVO 860 SSD and the SABRENT M2 via OC 064 bootloader BUT I can't work out how to boot from the NVME on it's own. When I unplug the EVO the system only boots to the BIOS screen and the NVME is not listed in the boot order options in the BIOS (F5). Is there something I need to do to get the NVME to show up in the boot order? By the way it shows up in the PCIE configuration in BIOS and is named SABRENT. And to recap - I can boot successfully from that drive through OC bootloader but only if the EVO SSD ( also bootable) is also present. Any help much appreciated.

Z490 VISION D
i9 10850
SABRENT NVME PCiE 1TB
EVO 860 2TB
CATALINA 15.7
OC 064
Looks like to mw there is no EFI partition on the Sabrent or if there is one there is no EFI folder or the EFI folder is empty.
I have a clone NVMe which have an EFI partition but it is empty and it won't show up in the BIOS in the boot section.
If I add the EFI folder and its content, the disk will show up in the BIOS in the boot section.

@CaseySJ For info, a few post ago I raised the issue that since updating from 11.0.1 to 11.1, I have noticed that my system would wake up from sleep during the day. That's something that has never happened under Catalina or Big Sur 11.0.1 in a year (since I have been working from home for almost a year now thanks to COVID). Last I ran the pmset code to grep any instances of "Wake" and noticed that there was a wake event every 2 hours on the dot. This was the msg I got each time it woke up:

DarkWake from Normal Sleep [CDN] : due to RTC PEG1 PEG2 RP04/Maintenance Using AC (Charge:0%) 45 secs

Tried to locate RP04 in Hackintool but could not. Under IOReg it was listed under ACPI. I had a better look at the various parameters under "power" in Hackintool and noticed the "tcpkeepalive" parameter set to 1. I don't recall seeing this parameter in the past. A couple of searches on the net and found out that in some cases, even if the Powernap option is disabled in systems preferences, tcpkeepalive can wake up the system. I swet it to 0 and today the system did not wake up once. So hope this can help some others with similar issues

@CaseySJ For info, a few post ago I raised the issue that since updating from 11.0.1 to 11.1, I have noticed that my system would wake up from sleep during the day. That's something that has never happened under catalina or big sur 11.0.1 in a year (sicne I have been working from home for almost a year now thanks to covid). Last I ran the pmset code to grep any instances of "Wake" and noticed that there was a wake event every 2 hours on the dot. This was the msg I got each time it woke up:

DarkWake from Normal Sleep [CDN] : due to RTC PEG1 PEG2 RP04/Maintenance Using AC (Charge:0%) 45 secs

Tried to locate RP04 in hackintool but could not. Under IOReg it was listed under acpi. I had a better look at the various parameters under "power" in hackintool and noticed the "tcpkeepalive" parameter set to 1. I don't recall seeing this parameter in the past. A couple of searches on the net and found out that in some cases, even if the powernap option is disabled in systems preferences, tcpkeepalive can wake up the system. I swet it to 0 and today the system did not wake up once. So hope this can help some others with similar issues
Thanks for the update. Please note that disabling “tcpkeepalive” is one of the suggestions in the Sleep Aid (link is in Quick Reference guide under Troubleshooting).

Z490 VISION D
i9 10850
SABRENT NVME PCiE 1TB
EVO 860 2TB
CATALINA 15.7
OC 064
Are you certain that the Sabrent NVMe SSD has both an EFI partition and the entire OpenCore EFI folder?

If so, please try a CMOS Reset, which will require configuring BIOS parameters once again.

Some suggestions:
  • Perform CMOS Reset and configure all BIOS parameters again. Be sure to also disable CFG-Lock from the Boot section of BIOS Setup. Then check IORegistryExplorer once more.
  • If problem persists, please post your IOReg file from IORegistryExplorer (File --> Save As...).
  • Worst case, you may need to replace this with a genuine Fenvi or YOUBO.
Hello Casey,
I'm back to clear this mystery up.
I had ordered a second copy of the same model (not the Fenvi) for another installation.
I tried it, and it works the first time.
It was therefore a defective copy.
The WTXUP BCM94360CD card works under Big Sur.
I am writing this post thanks to my Bluetooth keyboard and it is also thanks to you.
Thank you and see you soon

So now I'm noticing the changes I made in BIOS somehow don't reflect when running OS Catalina.
Cinebench R23 score was 12264 but temps ramped up to 100 degrees, so I guess this is where VCore settings play their role...

The only way I found this far to get similar results in OS to what I accomplished in Windows was to set Per Core Limits of 29x.
That way the CPU is running at roughly its base speed and I'm getting Cinebench results analogue to the ones in Windows, but with significantly higher temps.

On Win 10, Turbo Boost disabled but Turbo Boost Max enabled:

On Os, Per Core Limit on 29x for all cores:
Cinebench R23 Multi core 8087 at 85 degrees
Cinebench R23 Single core 749 at 55 degrees

Been further testing, looking for a solution that works on OS and Windows with same BIOS settings.
VCore settings from Tech Talk didin't help with temps going to 100 degrees at all.

I found a way of getting better performance and better temps, on OS and Win than with the Per Core Limit approach.

I watched Intel i9-10900K "High" Power Consumption Explained: TVB, Turbo 3.0, & Tau and came to understand that PL1 and PL2 Turbo Limits are "unleashed" by default on Vision Ds so I started fiddling with those values.

My Turbo Limits settings are:
PL1 55
PL1 time 15
PL2 90
PL2 time 20

I was able to get this benchmarks

Geekbench 5 Multicore: 8274
Geekbench 5 Singlecore: 1295
OpenCL: 4955 (I'm running with iGPU)

Cinebench R23 Multicore: 9750
Cinebench R23 Singlecore: 1240

In general temps were below 70℃ with a 80℃ peak in GB and ~65℃ plateau for the long runs on Cinebench.
That's with stock cooler.

Clearly this is not ideal but I'm happy with the fact that 1) my machine is not on fire anymore and 2) I guess I'll need some kind of tweaking of this kind if I'm not able to buy a super efficient cooling solution.

Please, if anybody has a better approach let me know.
Thanks for reading

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 10.58.42.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 10.58.42.png
    28.5 KB · Views: 77
@Uidi,

I've added a reference to your post as shown below:

Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 6.56.59 AM.png

Back