Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Any news on 0.6.6? ;)

Also, any update re: hiding unbootable volumes from the opencore picker?

Any news on 0.6.6? ;)

What unbootable volumes are you referring to?

I only see my bootable ones, ie Windows, Catalina, Big Sur, Big Sur Beta and my bootable backup of Big Sur (Carbon Copy). I used to have Mint installed on my main machine and that worked as well but I have moved that onto another machine now.

Any news on 0.6.6? ;)

Don’t hold your breath. There has not been any beta release or whatever for Opencore 0.6.6

Normally there are a couple of beta releases before the final release.
OpenCore is updated on a monthly basis, typically the first Monday of each month. This rhythm can change at any time, but so far 0.6.6 looks to be on track for early February.

I installed F7c BIOS, everything works, but MacOS won't boot with new Re-Size BAR option set to Auto.

I was just about to post this... macOS won't boot with Resize BAR on... Windows boots normally.
Apparently you can use Resizable Bar and boot into macOS if you disable Above 4G.

@CaseySJ - As I have mentioned previously, I used your guide to create a flawless installation of Big Sur on a Vision D board. I have since easily set up a triple boot system with Big Sur, Windows 10 and Ubuntu 20.04 with each installed on separate disks. I am actually surprised by how well it all appears to be working. I have not encountered any problems booting into or using the other OS's.
Glad to hear it.
I am trying to educate myself a little more about how OpenCore works, and I am a little confused by my reading. Comments regarding early versions of OpenCore point out that ACPI injection created problems for Windows and Linux. As I understand it, the N-D-K fork of OpenCore was developed in part to address this issue but is no longer maintained. My question to you is what configuration changes did you make (if any) to allow for multi-OS booting?

Are there particular problems I should be on the look-out for when using Windows or Ubuntu with this set-up?

Thanks again for an amazing guide.
The N-D-K fork was created at a time when OpenCore itself was unable to boot Windows. OpenCore added the ability to boot Windows many months ago, but it injects SSDTs into all operating systems. The N-D-K fork assumed that SSDTs were for Mac only, so it injected them into macOS only.

With OpenCore, therefore, we modify our SSDTs very easily by enclosing them in the following statement:
Code:
if (_OSI ("Darwin"))
{
  // Do Mac stuff
}
"Darwin" refers to the set of macOS components, so this "if" condition ensures that the SSDT is applied to macOS only.

Apparently you can use Resizable Bar and boot into macOS if you disable Above 4G.
Extremely interesting... any difference in macOS graphics performance?

On the newer BIOSes however (e.g., F20+), I don't know if resizable BAR is selectable if Above 4G is disabled... i tried F20a for a while but it was a disaster, so I'm back on F7C, stable as a rock. 10700k is boosting to 5.2 Ghz on 4 of my cores, with a 5.1 Ghz all core overclock when all 8 cores are in use... all at 1.32V, with the appropriate load line calibration. I could probably push the system to boost to 5.3 Ghz on one or two cores, but I'm leaving it alone....

OpenCore added the ability to boot Windows many months ago, but it injects SSDTs into all operating systems. The N-D-K fork assumed that SSDTs were for Mac only, so it injected them into macOS only.

With OpenCore, therefore, we modify our SSDTs very easily by enclosing them in the following statement:
Code:
if (_OSI ("Darwin"))
{
  // Do Mac stuff
}
"Darwin" refers to the set of macOS components, so this "if" condition ensures that the SSDT is applied to macOS only.

This is exactly the info I was looking for. Thank you so much!!

Code:
if (_OSI ("Darwin"))
{
  // Do Mac stuff
}
Hi CaseySJ:
Has your SSDT this modify for no inject the ssdt in windows?

Hi CaseySJ:
Has your SSDT this modify for no inject the ssdt in windows?
He mentioned in another post that these changes will be included in the next EFI he does for OC 0.6.6

Some are already done but the others will be finished on this next release.

Back