Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Glad to hear it and welcome to the forum!

Some suggestions:
  • In BIOS, set “Thunderbolt Boot Support” to “Boot Once”.
  • Perform “hardware reset” on the UAD Apollo Twin. But also confirm that it’s running the latest firmware.
  • Please post screenshot of the error you see from the UAD software.
  • With the UAD Apollo turned on and connected, run “IORegistryExplorer” and post the IOReg file (File —> Save As...).
hmmmm ok let me try this

Just got it. Appreciate the help guys looks like its was that BIOS "boot once" selection along with making sure it was connected and turned and on starting up and installing the software and restarting.

Glad to hear it and welcome to the forum!

Some suggestions:
  • In BIOS, set “Thunderbolt Boot Support” to “Boot Once”.
  • Perform “hardware reset” on the UAD Apollo Twin. But also confirm that it’s running the latest firmware.
  • Please post screenshot of the error you see from the UAD software.
  • With the UAD Apollo turned on and connected, run “IORegistryExplorer” and post the IOReg file (File —> Save As...).
Thanks, man... I was curious to know that at some point in the future I plan to upgrade my CPU to either i7 or i9. Will I have to reinstall Mac ? or will it just work after install ?

Thanks, man... I was curious to know that at some point in the future I plan to upgrade my CPU to either i7 or i9. Will I have to reinstall Mac ? or will it just work after install ?
If you replace the CPU with another Comet Lake-S model (10th gen) then it will be plug-and-play (no change to EFI). But if you replace the CPU with 11th gen (Rocket Lake-S) in March/April, then we don't yet know what changes will be needed.

@CaseySJ - As I have mentioned previously, I used your guide to create a flawless installation of Big Sur on a Vision D board. I have since easily set up a triple boot system with Big Sur, Windows 10 and Ubuntu 20.04 with each installed on separate disks. I am actually surprised by how well it all appears to be working. I have not encountered any problems booting into or using the other OS's.

I am trying to educate myself a little more about how OpenCore works, and I am a little confused by my reading. Comments regarding early versions of OpenCore point out that ACPI injection created problems for Windows and Linux. As I understand it, the N-D-K fork of OpenCore was developed in part to address this issue but is no longer maintained. My question to you is what configuration changes did you make (if any) to allow for multi-OS booting?

Are there particular problems I should be on the look-out for when using Windows or Ubuntu with this set-up?

Thanks again for an amazing guide.

Last edited:
Hi all,

When it comes to graphic video cards, what are usually the brands that cause the less troubles on a hackintosh?

I am aware that Gigabyte is one of the brands that is the most reliable in terms on motherboards for a hackintosh, and I would have assumed that it would be the same thing for video cards. But I remember reading a post on the forum from Casey I think regarding trusted video card brands and from memory Gigabyte was not listed. I am about to get a 6800XT or a 6900XT and at the moment the only brands with stock in a few local shops are XFX (Speedster series), Sapphire (Nitro+series), and Gigabyte (but only 6800 series).

If I have to get one now, better to get one from the brand causing the less issue.
Thanks.

I am about to get a 6800XT or a 6900XT and at the moment the only brands with stock in a few local shops are XFX (Speedster series), Sapphire (Nitro+series), and Gigabyte (but only 6800 series).

I am using a Sapphire Vega 64 that works without any problem. But keep in mind that the 6000 serie cards are not (yet) supported.

I am using a Sapphire Vega 64 that works without any problem. But keep in mind that the 6000 serie cards are not (yet) supported.
Yep. Someone commented before that video acceleration is not yet supported. Am happy to get one of those 6900XT or 6800XT for Windows only along with my supported 5600XT, and then switch to only the 6XXX series when it is fully supported.

Hello all.

Long time reader, first time poster.

This guide was gold in setting up my first hack. I'm running 11.0 flawlessly on the hardware to the left, and setup and configuration went without a hitch, using the 0.6.4 zip file for the Intel wireless module.

Until...

So I experimented with the Intel chipset, but Bluetooth had issues connecting to devices (specifically, a Logitech Anywhere 2S bluetooth mouse). I bought and installed the Youbo wireless card and installed it. In Opencore Configurator I disabled the five kexts related to the Intel chipset in the config.plist, and disabled SSDT-UIAC-VISION-D-V2_INTEL-BT.aml in ACPI. I removed the kexts from the EFI partition for good measure. The system starts without a hitch, and in System Information the Broadcom chipset is listed as the wifi adapter, and the Broadcom bluetooth device is appearing under USB, but the Intel chipset is still showing as the bluetooth devise under Bluetooth, and I'm still having the same connectivity issue.

So what did I miss? Is there something I failed to properly disable?

Thanks!

Hello all.

Long time reader, first time poster.

This guide was gold in setting up my first hack. I'm running 11.0 flawlessly on the hardware to the left, and setup and configuration went without a hitch, using the 0.6.4 zip file for the Intel wireless module.

Until...

So I experimented with the Intel chipset, but Bluetooth had issues connecting to devices (specifically, a Logitech Anywhere 2S bluetooth mouse). I bought and installed the Youbo wireless card and installed it. In Opencore Configurator I disabled the five kexts related to the Intel chipset in the config.plist, and disabled SSDT-UIAC-VISION-D-V2_INTEL-BT.aml in ACPI. I removed the kexts from the EFI partition for good measure. The system starts without a hitch, and in System Information the Broadcom chipset is listed as the wifi adapter, and the Broadcom bluetooth device is appearing under USB, but the Intel chipset is still showing as the bluetooth devise under Bluetooth, and I'm still having the same connectivity issue.

So what did I miss? Is there something I failed to properly disable?

Thanks!
Hello @unclejim

Welcome to the forum.

Fortunately this is an easy one to fix. After disabling the “INTEL-BT” SSDT we need to enable the standard USB SSDT:

SSDT-UIAC-VISION-D-V2.aml

This will disable the USB port associated with the Intel Bluetooth module.

Back