Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

If you have downloaded @CaseySJ's EFI and configured the BIOS as per his instructions then you shouldn't be having any problems. Make sure you follow them exactly.

You can ignore that message from OC Configurator, I get it on my real MacBook as well.

You can ignore that message from OC Configurator, I get it on my real MacBook as well.
Thanks! I really need to sort things out.

I started over many times, from the ground up. I don't really think I could be getting it wrong this many times...
Thanks again!

Thanks! I really need to sort things out.

I started over many times, from the ground up. I don't really think I could be getting it wrong this many times...
Thanks again!
Let's start again with the basics:
  • Please compress and post the EFI folder from your USB install disk.
  • What components are in the system now?
    • What are the makes/models of the memory DIMMs?
    • What are the makes/models of all NVMe SSDs in the system?
    • What are the makes/models of all SATA SSDs and HDDs in the system?
    • What is the make/model of the WiFi/Bluetooth adapter if you have one?
    • What is the make/model of the GPU? Is it still only the Intel iGPU?
    • Does the OpenCore Picker GUI appear when you boot from the USB install disk?
    • On the USB install disk you will find a file called Install macOS Catalina. What is the size of that file? (Finder --> File --> Get Info).
    • Is XMP Memory Profile enabled in BIOS or still disabled?
    • Are all other BIOS parameters configured properly? Please take a moment to double-check them from Post #1. Also confirm that CFG-Lock is Disabled in the Boot section of BIOS Setup.

Let's start again with the basics:
  • Please compress and post the EFI folder from your USB install disk
Done.

• What components are in the system now?
    • What are the makes/models of the memory DIMMs?
    • What are the makes/models of all NVMe SSDs in the system?
    • What are the makes/models of all SATA SSDs and HDDs in the system?
    • What is the make/model of the WiFi/Bluetooth adapter if you have one?
    • What is the make/model of the GPU? Is it still only the Intel iGPU?

DIMMs are Hyper X Fury 3200MHz 2x16GB (HX432C16FB3/16)
There's a 250Gb Kingston A2000 M.2 Pci-E installed on the topmost M.2 slot.
There's a WD Black 2TB on SATA 1.
I have no BT/WiFi adapter.
I'm going with the integrated GPU.

• Does the OpenCore Picker GUI appear when you boot from the USB install disk?
Yes it does.
If I choose 'Install MacOS Catalina', verbose shows this two lines:

OC: Prelinked patcher result 0 for com.apple.driver.AppleHIDKeyboard (Enable dim keys by Wern) - not found
OC: Prelinked patcher result 1 for com.apple.driver.AppleHIDKeyboard (Enable dim keys by Wern) - not found

• On the USB install disk you will find a file called Install macOS Catalina. What is the size of that file? (Finder --> File --> Get Info).

Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 21.33.17.png

This is the third time I download. I used diferent iterations everytime. I used the newer once, then I tried with the one with the date closer to yours, and then some other more I think...

• Is XMP Memory Profile enabled in BIOS or still disabled?

It is enabled. However I couldn't get 3200MHz working installing on slots 1 and 3. I tested different combinations and no combination that had a stick installed in slot 1 worked. It is now working by installing on slots 2 and 4. Don't know why and don't like that at all.

• Are all other BIOS parameters configured properly? Please take a moment to double-check them from Post #1. Also confirm that CFG-Lock is Disabled in the Boot section of BIOS Setup.

I'm on F5 firmware.
I loaded optimized defaults.

XMP set to Profile 1.
CSM and Vt-d are disabled.

Initial Display Output is set to iGFX.
Internal graphics is switched to Enabled.
Above 4G decoding in enabled.

Thunderbolt is in No security and Boot Once. I'm on an HDMI display anyway.
GPIO3 in enabled.
XHCI Hand off is enabled.

Win 10 feats are set to Other OS.
CSM Support is disabled.
CFG-Lock is disabled.

Thanks for taking the time to walk through this with me. I'm starting to lose hope.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    4 MB · Views: 63
@Uidi

Don’t lose hope. :)

It‘s been a long day so I’ll take this up in the morning. Will send you a new EFI folder.

Because you're using an AMD RX 580, platform ID 0x3E980003 is strongly recommended, which disables video output from the iGPU but keeps the iGPU enabled for "compute" tasks such as video encoding and decoding.

If you're trying to use the Blackmagic UltraStudio for video capture, I can understand why you've changed Platform ID to 0x3E9B0007.

• Has the UltraStudio Recorder worked in the past with this or any other Hackintosh? Or is this a newly purchased item?
  • Are you running Catalina or Mojave or ?
  • Does the UltraStudio require drivers? If so, are the latest drivers installed?
  • Regarding the Samsung T7, please try connecting it before boot rather than hot-plugging. We've found that USB-C devices fail to hot-plug on the two Thunderbolt/USB-C ports.
    • If your case has a front panel USB-C port, please try connecting the T7 there.

Today I successfully dual booted my hack, and installed all the drivers for Windows. Low and behold, the UltraStudio works in Windows. So it is functional and working under windows. All the same drivers (except the inter Thunderbolt specific Windows drivers) are here. But no cigar under Big Sur.

image.png

@Uidi

Don’t lose hope. :)

It‘s been a long day so I’ll take this up in the morning. Will send you a new EFI folder.

Have a good night!!
Please try the attached EFI folder. Simply backup your existing one (or just rename it to EFI-OLD) and copy the new one in its place (be sure to mount EFI partition of the USB flash disk, then copy attached EFI folder to the EFI partition).

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    4 MB · Views: 64
Please try the attached EFI folder. Simply backup your existing one (or just rename it to EFI-OLD) and copy the new one in its place (be sure to mount EFI partition of the USB flash disk, then copy attached EFI folder to the EFI partition).

Thanks for your support @CaseySJ!
After I choose Install MacOS I'm getting a black screen. Nada.
I tried many different USB ports besides the blue one in the back I've been using up to this moment. Even 2.0. No luck.

I'm up for anything. Should I start all over?

Thanks for your support @CaseySJ!
After I choose Install MacOS I'm getting a black screen. Nada.
I tried many different USB ports besides the blue one in the back I've been using up to this moment. Even 2.0. No luck.

I'm up for anything. Should I start all over?
Some questions:
  • How did you download Catalina?
    • Did you use GibMacOS?
  • How did you transfer the Catalina installer to the USB flash disk?
    • Did you use this command line?
    • sudo "/Applications/Install macOS Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia" --volume /Volumes/Catalina-USB
  • Are there any Windows disks in the system?
  • Are there any Linux disks in the system?
Also:
  • What is the make/model of your monitor?
  • Are you using HDMI-to-HDMI cable? (No adapters such as HDMI to DVI, etc.?)
  • When you see the black screen, does the monitor go into Standby Mode, or does monitor remain on? If it remains on, you'll see some backlight.
  • Do you have an AMD GPU?

Back