Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

1. There is a tiny switch on the mainboard (underside near backplane), but it's labeled BIOS Switch.
Please try both positions of that switch. One position is for normal (silent) operation, and the other is typically for OC (overclocking or high performance). The OC position often causes failure, but the normal position should be okay.

Please try both positions of that switch. One position is for normal (silent) operation, and the other is typically for OC (overclocking or high performance). The OC position often causes failure, but the normal position should be okay.
Hmmm... Then they didn't make it terribly intuitive that this was the switch's functionality. As you can see, there is no indicator of the state represented by both positions (silent & OC - this is the position it's been in all this time since original installation):
20201228_164600.jpg

What the heck - I'll give it a try. I guess I should have been more patient... I now have the MSI Radeon RX 580 Armor OC with 8GB GDDR5 Memory on the way from NewEgg! I guess I can always sell this card - But given this experience, I'm liking the idea of going back to components on the Buyer's Guide vs. going rogue... :headbang:

I'll let you know what I find out! :thumbup:

UPDATE1: ...and here I am writing to you on the Vision D build. Flipped the switch, put the card back in, and was greeted by a single beep! JOY!!

UPDATE2: I located the original box. I **completely** missed a small slip of paper (size of a business card) talking about the switch (compute mode vs. gaming mode)!! [[slap forehead]]

THANK YOU!!

Last edited:
Hi! I'm typing from my build!
Finally I choose iMac 19,1 SMBIOS.
I'm testing sleep in Energy Saver preferences, but I only see the monitor sleep slider, but not the computer sleep slider.
Any idea?

Captura de Pantalla 2020-12-29 a les 23.07.36.png

EDIT: I see that my 13"MBP (2015) hasn't the computer sleep slider instead my iMac (2012) that has this slider.
Then, The only one slider works for monitor and computer sleep?

Last edited:
Hi, all! I have just made Apple TV work on Big Sur 11.1.
My machine is Z490 Vision D with i7 -10700 and GPU AMD RX 5700 XT.
My machine is set to iMac 20,2.
I have OpenCore 064.
I updated from Catalina, and my Apple TV didn't work. So I did some research,
and I did this.

I opened the command line, and I paste line by line, and pushed enter
these are the commands:

defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDKE -bool YES
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDAVCEncode -bool YES
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDAVCDecode -bool YES
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDHEVCDecode -bool YES

After that Apple TV works.

I hope I help, but, before you do it, let some experienced users to answer my post. I don’t want to mess up your machine.
works, but facetime no longer gives a video image

Regarding issues with Nitro+ cards, I have Sapphire 5700XT Nitro+ SE and card works perfectly!
The issue with my card seemed to be that this hardware configuration didn't like the card being set on "Compute" mode (which was the OoB setting...and which one would *think* would be the most compatible):
20201228_164600.jpg

When I moved the switch to the right into "Game" mode, I got a single beep & things booted up normally. Of course I/we discover this just moments after I order the MSI card from NewEgg that CaseySJ specifies (btw, order is non-returnable/non-refundable). Hopefully I'll be able to sell this on FB Marketplace & Craigslist. :crazy:

Last edited:
Hey @CaseySJ ! This is my first time in Hackintosh Land as a builder. I've been a user for years but this is my first time dealing with this end of things.

I'm getting stuck at step 8. Some of the things @counterfactual went through helped me get to where I am now (I was able to get verbose) but I can't get to the Installer anyway.

My build:
Vision D (F5 Firmware)
i7 10700
integrated GPU
Hyper X Fury 3200MHz 2x16GB (currently working with 1x16) (HX432C16FB3/16)
WD Green M.2 240GB SATA SSD on the topmost slot
Corsair v500 PSU
Kingston DataTraveler 100 G3 32GB FlashDrive
Apple Keyboard connected to Blue USB port

The first thing that didn't really worked according to the guide is setting XMP to Profile 1. The system rebooted a couple of times and came up with an error and re-setting memories to 2400, which is the speed that sees by default when two sticks are installed.
I tried with Profile 2 and that set the memories to 3000Mhz and worked, but decided to work with just one stick, as is what I've been recommended to do.

This is where I'm getting stuck at:
When I click on Install OS Catalina on the BootPicker screen verbose shows this two lines:

OC: Prelinked patcher result 0 for com.apple.driver.AppleHIDKeyboard (Enable dim keys by Wern) - not found
OC: Prelinked patcher result 1 for com.apple.driver.AppleHIDKeyboard (Enable dim keys by Wern) - not found

Now, I'm really underqualified for this job so all I dared do was go to OCC and uncheck both 'Enabled' boxes on the dim keys Kernel Patches to see if that helped. The result was no verbose at all.

Am I missing something? Is there something wrong with my setup? Should I pay somebody to do this for me?
Thanks in advance.

Hi! I'm typing from my build!
Finally I choose iMac 19,1 SMBIOS.
I'm testing sleep in Energy Saver preferences, but I only see the monitor sleep slider, but not the computer sleep slider.
Any idea?

View attachment 503030

EDIT: I see that my 13"MBP (2015) hasn't the computer sleep slider instead my iMac (2012) that has this slider.
Then, The only one slider works for monitor and computer sleep?
Yes, no problem. When the monitor sleeps, the computer will also sleep if you uncheck the first box.

Hey @CaseySJ ! This is my first time in Hackintosh Land as a builder. I've been a user for years but this is my first time dealing with this end of things.

I'm getting stuck at step 8. Some of the things @counterfactual went through helped me get to where I am now (I was able to get verbose) but I can't get to the Installer anyway.

My build:
Vision D (F5 Firmware)
i7 10700
integrated GPU
Hyper X Fury 3200MHz 2x16GB (currently working with 1x16) (HX432C16FB3/16)
WD Green M.2 240GB SATA SSD on the topmost slot
Corsair v500 PSU
Kingston DataTraveler 100 G3 32GB FlashDrive
Apple Keyboard connected to Blue USB port

The first thing that didn't really worked according to the guide is setting XMP to Profile 1. The system rebooted a couple of times and came up with an error and re-setting memories to 2400, which is the speed that sees by default when two sticks are installed.
I tried with Profile 2 and that set the memories to 3000Mhz and worked, but decided to work with just one stick, as is what I've been recommended to do.
Hello @Uidi,

For now it's okay to disable XMP Memory Profile. But let's keep an eye on this just in case the memory proves to be defective.

This is where I'm getting stuck at:
When I click on Install OS Catalina on the BootPicker screen verbose shows this two lines:

OC: Prelinked patcher result 0 for com.apple.driver.AppleHIDKeyboard (Enable dim keys by Wern) - not found
OC: Prelinked patcher result 1 for com.apple.driver.AppleHIDKeyboard (Enable dim keys by Wern) - not found

Now, I'm really underqualified for this job so all I dared do was go to OCC and uncheck both 'Enabled' boxes on the dim keys Kernel Patches to see if that helped. The result was no verbose at all.

Am I missing something? Is there something wrong with my setup? Should I pay somebody to do this for me?
Thanks in advance.
You did the right thing. It's okay to disable those patches. But it seems something more fundamental is wrong. Because you're using iGPU only, I assume you used the file config-Intel-iGPU.plist?

Some other questions/comments:
  • Double check that CFG-Lock is Disabled in BIOS Setup --> Boot section.
  • Please mount the EFI partition of the USB install disk, go to the EFI folder, expand the "OC" subfolder and post a screenshot so that we can see at least the following:
    • OC/Opencore.efi
    • BOOT/BOOTX64.efi
    • Bootstrap/Bootstrap.efi
  • At the OpenCore Picker you can also press CMD-V to enable Verbose Mode. Then select the option to Install macOS.

@CaseySJ Thanks for replying!
I did use config-Intel-iGPU.plist
CFG-Lock is indeed Disabled.

Here's the screenshot:
Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 19.53.04.png

I enabled Verbose by adding it to the boot arguments and resetting NVRAM. Should I do it the way you mention?

I forgot something that may or may not be relevant. When I open OCC it shows this Error:
Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 19.55.55.png

Last edited:
Back