Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Yes, no issues here.

T2 chip can be more of a problem than a benefit. SideCar would not work if we used a T2-based system name, but now there are workarounds.

You can literally just change the system name from iMac19,1 to iMac20,2 and back again, without changing anything else. But once you commit to a system name, you should not change it.
Thanks you again!

• Thought to myself: My GPU is great performer, but a "Special Edition" model Sapphire NITRO+ RX 580 G5 Special Edition. Could there be some bizzaro anomaly with the combo of this GPU + F5 + Vision D that is causing problem?
  • I built a CustoMac for my partner to use in his studio; his build uses Sapphire PULSE RX 580. I pulled his card & put in my machine. IMMEDIATE SUCCESS! (no "5 beeps"). Booted normally.
Good thinking! The NITRO+ may be a non-reference design (i.e. different arrangement of video ports compared with AMD reference board), but it should still POST. It might be worth installing the NITRO+ in your partner's system. If the same problem happens there, the card may be defective.

You know, it my original reply, I had another thought about AMD cards, but I removed it because I thought it just was too far out there to mention.

I too have had this very similar problem with AMD cards from Sapphire (and also with some PowerColor AMD cards) on both two Vega 64s and and a Radeon VII and they both worked in Windows and Ubuntu just fine, but booting would often, but not always, end up with this five beeps issue. I do think in my case, RAM incompatibility is also contributing because after doing what I have done, no more five beeps problems.

Great to hear you got it sorted!
Interesting to note your experience with Sapphire (and PC AMD) cards. I always heard really good things about Sapphire, so thought it was a sure thing. But with all these issues, I started wondering if I should see about just getting the card that CaseySJ used in the original build, knowing that was a "sure thing" with this mobo. And then it hit me: I've got another video card in-house that I could try... :thumbup:.

Thanks again!!

Good thinking! The NITRO+ may be a non-reference design (i.e. different arrangement of video ports compared with AMD reference board), but it should still POST. It might be worth installing the NITRO+ in your partner's system. If the same problem happens there, the card may be defective.
...and that's EXACTLY what I'm about to do. :angel: Funny, it worked like a champ when I had it in my initial 360/VR PowerUp config with the Z370 board... Go figure!! :mrgreen:

Just to add a bit more here: both of my "five beeps" Vega 64s were Nitro+, and the Radeon VII five beep card could easily be defined as a "special", or non-reference card.

I think, somehow when the BIOS initializes, these cards just don't always respond. Is it an issue with some kind of combination of memory (meaning RAM) and these cards initializing and responding to the BIOS requests?

Don't know, but the "five beep" issue is a real one with AMD cards. Something to add to a database somewhere.

Just to add a bit more here: both of my "five beeps" Vega 64s were Nitro+, and the Radeon VII five beep card could easily be defined as a "special", or non-reference card.

I think, somehow when the BIOS initializes, these cards just don't always respond. Is it an issue with some kind of combination of memory (meaning RAM) and these cards initializing and responding to the BIOS requests?

Don't know, but the "five beep" issue is a real one with AMD cards. Something to add to a database somewhere.
Just to confirm: The NITRO+ RX580 SE also gave me 5 beeps when put in my partner's system:
  • Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Pro WiFi
  • i9-9900k
  • Samsung 970 PRO - 512GB
  • G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (2x16GB) DDR4 3600
Looks like I'm going shopping. He's almost over the finish line with his 2nd CD project, and I don't want to do anything to muck up his production system so close to the end.

Just to confirm: The NITRO+ RX580 SE also gave me 5 beeps when put in my partner's system:
  • i9-9900k
Looks like I'm going shopping. He's almost over the finish line with his 2nd CD project, and I don't want to do anything to muck up his production system so close to the end.

In my old Z370 Ultra Gaming, i7-8700K and plain Sapphire 580 Nitro+, ie not the SE, everything worked fine. If you are getting the same 5 beeps in another system then the card is more than likely faulty.

In my old Z370 Ultra Gaming, i7-8700K and plain Sapphire 580 Nitro+, ie not the SE, everything worked fine. If you are getting the same 5 beeps in another system then the card is more than likely faulty.
Here's the head-scratcher: It **did** work in this motherboard (no 5-beeps), once I flashed the BIOS to F6 (and continued to F7c). And it **did** work in my 360/VR Production Build "Power Up" (see details in Golden Builds). In essence, I was trying to do a 2nd "Power Up" to that build by only replacing mobo & CPU. Ugh...

My problem was that, with F6 and F7c, I would set CSM to "Disable" - but the setting would never "stick" - meaning that the next time I went into the BIOS, it would revert back to Enable. I thought this issue may have contributed to the Thunderbolt problems I was having.

Oh, well... I just got a handful of gift cards from my family for Christmas - time to go shopping for a new GPU!

• i9-9900k
Hey there @BoomR, I had a few questions for you to ponder about your build:

1. Does that GPU have the little switch on it's frame like the RX580 Pulse? I was wondering if it's in "high performance" mode. FWIW, mine's in "compute" mode.

2. How beefy is your power supply?

3. Do you have extra power going to the extra PEG next to the CLR-CMOS pins at the bottom of the mobo? Wondering if it's a juice issue.

Hey there @BoomR, I had a few questions for you to ponder about your build:

1. Does that GPU have the little switch on it's frame like the RX580 Pulse? I was wondering if it's in "high performance" mode. FWIW, mine's in "compute" mode.

2. How beefy is your power supply?

3. Do you have extra power going to the extra PEG next to the CLR-CMOS pins at the bottom of the mobo? Wondering if it's a juice issue.
1. There is a tiny switch on the mainboard (underside near backplane), but it's labeled BIOS Switch.
2. PS is actually Corsair CX 750M (and looks like I need to update my GB post! Still shows original 650W)
3. This card actually has both a 4x2 *and* a 3x2 power connection on the top of the card. Both are connected. My understanding has been (and I think CaseySJ even mentions this in the build instructions-step 5) that PEG is only a requirement for more than 1 GPU.

I love and appreciate all the engagement from everyone to help get at the root cause of this crazy@$$ issue (because... 2020, right??!!). Thanks @jiffyslot !!!!

Back