RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
As far as I remember, someone in this thread asked about a double GPU Nvidia + AMD. Has anyone tried to run the system with Nvidia GPU and AMD at the same time? Is it possible to install Nvidia in the Slot-1 (for PCI-E 4.0 on next gen CPU), and then turn it off, for example, via DSDT (AFAIK, sleep not works if macOS "can see" Nvidia GPU)?

Yes, quite a few people do exactly that. Just hide the Nvidia card with an SSDT to hide the slot from macOS.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Lovely, thanks. Am I missing something though? The image doesn't seem to have full instructions/link?
Please see Post 1 as stated in the rely.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i7-10700K
Graphics
Sapphire RX6800
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
As I have a 1TB M.2 drive as my OS drive, I'm wondering if I should have just partitioned it for Big Sur instead of installing on a separate 2.5" SSD. Is it as simple as creating a new APFS volume on my M.2, and then using CCC to clone my Big Sur drive to that? Would I have to create a custom entry in my config.plist as it would technically be on the same SSD, or would OpenCore "see" the Big Sur partition automatically?

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
As I have a 1TB M.2 drive as my OS drive, I'm wondering if I should have just partitioned it for Big Sur instead of installing on a separate 2.5" SSD. Is it as simple as creating a new APFS volume on my M.2, and then using CCC to clone my Big Sur drive to that? Would I have to create a custom entry in my config.plist as it would technically be on the same SSD, or would OpenCore "see" the Big Sur partition automatically?
Yes you could have partitioned the drive and installed Big Sur in the new partition. Partitions can be created non-destructively, so if Catalina was already taking up the entire 1TB NVMe SSD, it would still be possible to create a new partition without damaging Catalina.

Because each partition, when formatted, becomes a logical disk, OpenCore will automatically detect Catalina in one partition and Big Sur in the other. OpenCore will present separate boot icons for each one.

I have already done this on my AMD Ryzen system (X570 Taichi), so I know it works.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i7-10700K
Graphics
Sapphire RX6800
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Yes you could have partitioned the drive and installed Big Sur in the new partition. Partitions can be created non-destructively, so if Catalina was already taking up the entire 1TB NVMe SSD, it would still be possible to create a new partition without damaging Catalina.

Because each partition, when formatted, becomes a logical disk, OpenCore will automatically detect Catalina in one partition and Big Sur in the other. OpenCore will present separate boot icons for each one.

I have already done this on my AMD Ryzen system (X570 Taichi), so I know it works.
Excellent. I’ve decided to do a clean Install as there is nothing worth saving on my other SSD anyway! That frees up an SSD for other purposes. Thanks again for your help Casey!

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
As far as I remember, someone in this thread asked about a double GPU Nvidia + AMD. Has anyone tried to run the system with Nvidia GPU and AMD at the same time? Is it possible to install Nvidia in the Slot-1 (for PCI-E 4.0 on next gen CPU), and then turn it off, for example, via DSDT (AFAIK, sleep not works if macOS "can see" Nvidia GPU)?

Yes, quite a few people do exactly that. Just hide the Nvidia card with an SSDT to hide the slot from macOS.
Hello @Ayvan,

At the bottom of Post 1 in the Z390 Designare thread, there are two SSDTs that are already configured to hide GPUs in either slot 1 or slot 2:

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Excellent. I’ve decided to do a clean Install as there is nothing worth saving on my other SSD anyway! That frees up an SSD for other purposes. Thanks again for your help Casey!
If you have already installed Big Sur on a 2.5" SSD, you can try this simple shortcut:
  • Create the new partition.
  • Format the new partition as APFS.
  • Boot from the Big Sur 2.5" SSD (very important).
  • Download the latest Beta of Carbon Copy Cloner (which might be b6 as of today).
    • From CCC "File --> Preferences" enable the checkbox for receiving Beta notices.
  • Then clone the 2.5" SSD onto the new partition.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i7-10700K
Graphics
Sapphire RX6800
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
If you have already installed Big Sur on a 2.5" SSD, you can try this simple shortcut:
  • Create the new partition.
  • Format the new partition as APFS.
  • Boot from the Big Sur 2.5" SSD (very important).
  • Download the latest Beta of Carbon Copy Cloner (which might be b6 as of today).
    • From CCC "File --> Preferences" enable the checkbox for receiving Beta notices.
  • Then clone the 2.5" SSD onto the new partition.
Thanks Casey, that worked like a charm, just with the side effect of breaking my custom icon for Big Sur. 2 steps forward, 1 step back as usual :lol:

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Unfortunately, the problem persists. Please double-check the steps outlined in the previous reply to ensure that V2 of the SSDT is enabled and that the original version is disabled.

Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 5.27.53 AM.png

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
Intel 8 Core i7-10700K
Graphics
Sapphire Pulse RX 5700XT
Just came here with my very first post to report a success:

@CaseySJ, very happy to report that following your instructions I have now a fully working Hackintosh!

Very excited, indeed.

The system works very nicely after a few usual hiccups (sleep mode, for once).
- Z490 Vision D
- RX 5700 XT
- Fenvi T919
- 32 Gb RGB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix
- Pure Base 500DX white
- Latest version of Catalina

iMac19,1​

Geekbench 5 Score​

Single-Core Score
Multi-Core Score
OpenCL Score

Just finished going through the whole 379 pages, LOL.

I still do have a couple of questions (please forgive me if I missed the info somewhere in between):

1) For the life of mine I could not work out the issue of changing of the name of the CPU. I tried everything, but the type of CPU will not change. I already tried your suggestions to omit "" and also to use /. To no avail. I am on English version of Catalina (en) and on German keyboard (obviously making sure that " is " and y is y and not z).

I receive a report that "No such xattr: com.apple.quarantine". After which all commands are accepted and I am prompted at the end to confirm the desired change, sometimes with my password sometimes w/o, but nothing works.

-> I start to believe that the commands do not work on the latest Catalina version.

Do you have an idea how could I change the name of the CPU?

2) Should I change to iMacPro for a better performance and 5700 utilisation? If so, which one and would you please point me to the right how can I do it.
Also is there anything I should be mindful of?

3) How can I control the DDR4 RGB? They are flashing permanently in some weird color change mode cycle whereas all other RGBs are fixed with your "tech talk" tool?

4) And the final question, if I may, which connector on the board did you use to control the LED of the Pure Base 500DX? I cannot control mine via software neither under Window native Fusion 2.0 not let alone under MacOS. Would appreciate any pointers to what could be the solution.

Again, very excited and truly impressed by your knowledge and dedication to this forum!