Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

There isn’t a way to disable the Intel card in BIOS, that is done by disabling HS14 in your USB Map for MacOS. Using the method I described is (as far as I know) the easiest way to keep them linked across both Windows and Mac that I could get to work.
Disabling HS14 disables the on-board Bluetooth. But the Intel CNVW device (WiFi) still appears in IORegistryExplorer, but macOS does not do anything with it (unless OpenIntelWireless drivers are installed).

As I am a user of the Intel Bluetooth/WIFI driver, I set the SecureBootModel option to Default in the OpenCore configuration. By the way, I also read that this option prevents Big Sur to run correctly. @CaseySJ: do you think that there is a chance that these drivers would support SecureBootModel Disabled in the future?
Because the developers of OpenIntelWireless are aware of this issue, I hope they can find a solution. With each subsequent version of macOS, Apple seems to strengthen the system's security, which in turn makes it harder to develop such drivers. But let's give the developers some more time. What they've achieved thus far is very promising.

Disabling HS14 disables the on-board Bluetooth. But the Intel CNVW device (WiFi) still appears in IORegistryExplorer, but macOS does not do anything with it (unless OpenIntelWireless drivers are installed).
Well, you learn something new every day in this thread! Thanks for all your help @CaseySJ. Your dedication to helping people truly is commendable!

I'm not 100% sure, but it may be caused by AudioDxe.efi in your 0.6.3. Remove it from config.plist - UEFI - Drivers and give it a go. I suppose it will boot as fast as 0.6.1.
Good Call... removing AudioDxe.efi makes getting past the Gigabyte splash screen much faster.

Yup, thats done it! Man, I've been tearing my hair out for a week to get this sorted! Thank you!

@CaseySJ is it worth getting this put in the guide for Vision G users? My systems back booting as quickly as it did before thanks to this tip!

Tried everything but it OC still will not appear when trying to boot. Is it because I'm using a i3?

Massive thanks to CaseySJ for your amazing work on this.

I am finally, up and running with minimal issues. I'm yet to properly put the machine through it's paces but I am still trying to iron out a sleep issue. When I put the system to sleep, it wakes straight back up again. I'm pretty sure that it's related to my Broadcom wifi/bluetooth module. When I unplug the power feed for the BT module from the internal USB 2.0 header the system does sleep. I'm actually using an original apple module mounted on a PCIE adapter (as pictured). This worked flawlessly on my previous (Z170) build so I'm a little surprised to find that it's not playing nicely in my new rig. One other side effect of the unsuccessful sleep cycle is that when I boot up into Windows 10 my device manager now shows an Unknown Device, for which I can't find a fix or a driver. If I do a fresh install of W10 and load all the drivers all is good but then the moment I boot into Catalina and try to put the system to sleep the device reappears when I next boot into W10.

Any help would be much appreciated. I did try and do a search on the issue as well as reading the first 36 pages of this thread but so far haven't found much.

View attachment 495411View attachment 495412
Not to go over well trod ground, but did you set the usb2 port as type 255? (I have an Apple module in a mini pcie to pcie adaptor too and it sleeps properly, (vision-g board)

Because the developers of OpenIntelWireless are aware of this issue, I hope they can find a solution. With each subsequent version of macOS, Apple seems to strengthen the system's security, which in turn makes it harder to develop such drivers. But let's give the developers some more time. What they've achieved thus far is very promising.
I totally agree with your point. There is no rush on my side to update to Big Sur though, as my DAW and audio drivers do not support it. Furthermore, my experience with Catalina is entirely satisfying so far. This build is excellent! :thumbup:

Yup, thats done it! Man, I've been tearing my hair out for a week to get this sorted! Thank you!

@CaseySJ is it worth getting this put in the guide for Vision G users? My systems back booting as quickly as it did before thanks to this tip!
Yes I’ll add a note/warning about this for both G and D owners.

In my experience, it's better not to install Broadcom drivers in Windows. It's perfectly okay for Windows Device Manager to report the Broadcom module as "Unknown". Windows will use the much better Intel AX201 module instead.

Regarding sleep, there have been various reports of strange behavior when certain WiFi/BT cards are installed. The two that work best are Fenvi FV-T919 and YOUBO. A link to the YOUBO appears in the Notes section at the top of Post 1.
Thanks for the reply. As you suggested it was indeed my plan not to install the broadcom drivers anyway. That for me is not the issue. The problem I am having is that a third "unknown device" shows up in the W10 device manager only after a failed sleep attempt in Catalina is made. In other words, if I do remove the SSD on which Catalina is installed, do a clean install on the W10 drive, leaving the Broadcom drivers uninstalled then I have two devices showing up in Device manager for which no drivers are installed, the Broadcom wifi module and the bluetooth module. If I then put the Catalina drive back into it's slot and boot up I get the opencore picker and can boot into either W10 or MacOS, all is great. However, if I then attempt to put the system to sleep in MacOs, it then wakes up straight away and then the next time I boot into W10 there is a third unknown device showing up in the device manager for which no driver is installed, in addition to that of the two Broadcom modules. The only way I have found so far to resolve it is to reinstall W10 again. I can't find any drivers for it and the hardware ID doesn't appear to be recognised when I try to google it.

Not to go over well trod ground, but did you set the usb2 port as type 255? (I have an Apple module in a mini pcie to pcie adaptor too and it sleeps properly, (vision-g board)
Is this something I need to do in addition to the instructions on post #1? I do apologise if it is well trod ground but that may indeed be something that I've missed. Could you point in the right general direction?

Back