Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ Big Sur official release was announced today for the 12th of november, in a few days from now. Are you planning to release a sort of guide for OC/Big sur? I have been following this thread pretty much since the beginning and read lots of posts on big sur (never took the plunge just been waiting for the official version) , various settings, etc. A bit hard to know what work or does not work. Would be nice to have a sort of baseline guide if possible.
Thanks.
Fortunately your system is ready for Big Sur as long as you’re on OpenCore 0.6.2 or newer. Simply make a full bootable backup of Catalina and perform an in-place upgrade to Big Sur.

I’ll certainly add a mini-guide that contains basically the paragraph above!

Hi,
i made firmware update on my z490 vision D with version f7b.
i made the update with gygabite utilities under Windows 10.
Since this update, i have kernel panic.
i use open core 0.6.3
see attachement for details.

anibody can help me?
thxs for attention.

universalix

01B6F885-BEC9-4A4B-8556-42EA48FDEE9C.jpeg

Hello, i do not understand why sometimes i have to try boot 3 or 4 times before entering the system because of "OCB: StartImage failed - Aborted", this is more frequent with the new 6.3 efi and new bios now

I also deselected the f1 f2 brightness patches in the config, but the error still appears

Tried to rebuild kernel caches, reset nvram, load bios defalt and redo settings...

Attachments

• IMG_20201111_100602.jpg
    IMG_20201111_100602.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 55
Hi,
i made firmware update on my z490 vision D with version f7b.
i made the update with gygabite utilities under Windows 10.
Since this update, i have kernel panic.
i use open core 0.6.3
see attachement for details.

anibody can help me?
thxs for attention.

universalix

View attachment 495136
Please check if BIOS Setup —> BOOT —> CFG-Lock is enabled. If so, disable it.

Hello, i do not understand why sometimes i have to try boot 3 or 4 times before entering the system because of "OCB: StartImage failed - Aborted", this is more frequent with the new 6.3 efi and new bios now

I also deselected the f1 f2 brightness patches in the config, but the error still appears

Tried to rebuild kernel caches, reset nvram, load bios defalt and redo settings...
If you switch back and forth between macOS and Windows, then this can occur with some regularity.

Two options to try:
  • BIOS Setup —> BOOT —> set first boot option to the macOS SSD (not OpenCore and not Windows)
  • In OpenCore Configurator, set Misc —> Security —> BootProtect to None or Disabled.

Just a note for anyone having trouble using the YOUBO wifi/bt card and getting handoff and wifi sidecar working. I had to logout and log back into my icloud account on the hackintosh. I set my system up before the card had arrived, maybe something got into a stuck state, the login/logout now has everything working perfectly.

If you switch back and forth between macOS and Windows, then this can occur with some regularity.

Two options to try:
  • BIOS Setup —> BOOT —> set first boot option to the macOS SSD (not OpenCore and not Windows)
  • In OpenCore Configurator, set Misc —> Security —> BootProtect to None or Disabled.
Nope, no windows **** here :D also Protect is enabled because of the intel wifi driver...

I did a test and confirm that with disabled, i am not getting the error, i tried a couple of reboots in the last hour.

Is there any workaround / explanation for this issue?

Last edited:
** Mini-Guide: Upgrading to macOS 11.0.x Big Sur from macOS 10.15.x Catalina **
AVAILABLE STARTING NOVEMBER 12, 2020
Please do not quote this guide in its entirety. Post a link instead.
Screen Shot 2020-11-11 at 7.32.00 AM.png
macOS Big Sur is a major upgrade of the Macintosh operating system, so much so that it increments the version number to 11 for the first time in over a decade.

Checklist for Upgrading to Big Sur:
  • You must be running macOS 10.15.4 or newer version of Catalina.
  • You must be using OpenCore 0.6.2or newer.
    • OpenCore 0.6.3 is preferred because of enhanced support for Big Sur.
  • If you are using OpenIntelWireless drivers, change Misc --> Security --> SecureBootModel to Disabled (not Default).
    • After Big Sur is installed, this parameter can be changed back to Default.

Procedure:
  • Make a full bootable backup of Catalina.
    • A Time Machine backup is not a bootable backup.
    • Easiest way to make a bootable backup is as follows:
      • Run either (a) Carbon Copy Cloner or (b) SuperDuper to clone the internal Catalina SSD to a backup SSD.
      • Then mount the EFI partitions of the original Catalina SSD and the backup SSD.
      • Copy (not move) the EFI folder from the EFI partition of original Catalina SSD to EFI partition of backup SSD.
  • Verify that the bootable backup disk works, as follows:
    • Reboot the system.
    • Press F12 at the Gigabyte Splash Screen to open the BIOS Boot Menu (not the OpenCore Picker).
    • Select the backup disk from the list.
    • When OpenCore Picker appears, select the option to boot Catalina from the backup disk.
    • If the boot process succeeds, you may now shutdown the computer, disconnect the backup disk, and boot from Catalina from the internal SSD.
  • When you are logged back in to Catalina, select System Preferences --> Software Update.
    • Stay with the computer and follow the on-screen instructions.
    • Each time the system reboots, if you see "Macintosh HD" as a boot option in OpenCore Picker, make sure that it is selected.
      • If it is not automatically selected, select it manually.
    • After one or two reboots, the "Macintosh HD" option will be removed automatically. In that case, boot the internal macOS SSD.

Good luck and welcome to Big Sur! Having used the public beta for the past few months, I absolutely love Big Sur. I hope you do too. :)

Last edited:

Is there any workaround / explanation for this issue?
Yes, switch to a Fenvi FV-T919 or FV-HB1200! :)

One can also wait for new versions of the OpenIntelWireless drivers.

Back