Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

FWIW I’ve noticed this too, particularly in Big Sur. I have a Sapphire Nitro. I have not checked into it since updating to the release candidate though...
You are right, the problem is much more visible since 11.0.1 upgrade.. :(

I'm on the Designare Z390 with RX580 8GB and I observed this behavior ever since I bought it last year (has since run Mojave, Catalina, now BS).
However, the memory seemingly 'filling up' has not resulted in poorer performance of GPU-heavy tasks for me.
Not sure this is a bug at all?!

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-10 um 09.06.33.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-10 um 09.06.33.png
    205.6 KB · Views: 67
Afrter some search, I start to beleive it's an iStat bug...

Reactions: f10
Update on my Thunderbolt issue. I spent more time learning about DROM and SSDT. After noticing my root port didn't match the expected 21 for the Titan Ridge card. I moved the card to the bottom PCI-E slot instead of being in the middle. I think this changed everything for me. Both Buses are showing, I enabled the SSDTs for both (RP5 for vision and RP 21 for Titan Ridge card) and now things seem to work really well. All of my Thunderbolt devices are showing, and were able to be plugged in while the system was on. I might have been able to make some edits to the Titan Ridge DROM to match it to the other slot (It was PEG1,1 I think) this move of the card seems to be much more stable.

Thanks again @CaseySJ, if any of my experience can be helpful to others, I'm happy to check/confirm anything for you.

In my original instructions for upgrading to OpenCore 0.6.3, I erroneously stated that we should copy Board ID from Hackintool instead of Board Serial Number. Everyone should check the MLB in OpenCore Configurator and fix the entry if necessary (simply copy the same field from your OpenCore 0.6.2 or previous config.plist):
View attachment 494905
In the OpenCore 0.6.3 config files for this system, the only other change is the inclusion of NVRAM --> Delete entries:
View attachment 494906

Casey thank you kindly for your detailed reply.

I'd actually already copied all of the fields across even without knowledge of your minor error regarding the MLB field etc. I've tried deleting those fields in the NVRAM section too but still this odd problem persists.

Bit of a strange one no?

Update on my Thunderbolt issue. I spent more time learning about DROM and SSDT. After noticing my root port didn't match the expected 21 for the Titan Ridge card. I moved the card to the bottom PCI-E slot instead of being in the middle. I think this changed everything for me. Both Buses are showing, I enabled the SSDTs for both (RP5 for vision and RP 21 for Titan Ridge card) and now things seem to work really well. All of my Thunderbolt devices are showing, and were able to be plugged in while the system was on. I might have been able to make some edits to the Titan Ridge DROM to match it to the other slot (It was PEG1,1 I think) this move of the card seems to be much more stable.

Thanks again @CaseySJ, if any of my experience can be helpful to others, I'm happy to check/confirm anything for you.
Glad to hear it! Although you solved the RP21 problem by moving GC-Titan Ridge into the appropriate PCIe slot, we could also have solved the problem by modifying the SSDT instead (i.e. by replacing the string "RP21").

Casey thank you kindly for your detailed reply.

I'd actually already copied all of the fields across even without knowledge of your minor error regarding the MLB field etc. I've tried deleting those fields in the NVRAM section too but still this odd problem persists.

Bit of a strange one no?
Yes rather strange. Do you have a Thunderbolt card in the Vision G? If so, does the system boot at normal speed when all Thunderbolt devices are disconnected?

You can try adding attached SSDT to your OC/ACPI directory and to ACPI/ADD in config.plist. It should fix all the power management issues with the card and may help with your wake problem as well. In my case it helped a lot. Before using this patch, my RX580 idle power draw was around 50-60W, now it's 18-20W. Geekbench score was around 35000 and now it's 50000.
I just gave it a go and it turned my screen pink. Definitely better off without that SSDT on my system. Thanks anyway!

Last edited:
delete

Last edited:
Back