Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hi all and @CaseySJ
Although everything is working smoothly I noticed that my Gigabyte RX5700XT is consuming more and more memory, although I don't do anything special (no heavy GPU tasks). Fan are still not running....
If I reboot, everything is back to normal and then same thing starts again.
Any idea about the cause and how to solve it?
Do you have Windows or Linux on this system? If so, have you checked whether GPU fans spin up when playing a game or performing a GPU-intensive benchmark?

If you are within your right to return the Gigabyte RX5700 XT, I would suggest exchanging it for something like a Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT or PowerColor Red Dragon RX 5700 XT.

Hey chaps does anyone have a problem with 0.6.3 whereupon Opencore on boot takes a lot longer to get to the boot select screen? I'm on a Vision G.

If I use my old 0.6.1 EFI it goes lightning speed?

Shame, as the rest of system works great when I'm in :)

Thanks!

Hey chaps does anyone have a problem with 0.6.3 whereupon Opencore on boot takes a lot longer to get to the boot select screen? I'm on a Vision G.

If I use my old 0.6.1 EFI it goes lightning speed?

Shame, as the rest of system works great when I'm in :)

Thanks!
In my original instructions for upgrading to OpenCore 0.6.3, I erroneously stated that we should copy Board ID from Hackintool instead of Board Serial Number. Everyone should check the MLB in OpenCore Configurator and fix the entry if necessary (simply copy the same field from your OpenCore 0.6.2 or previous config.plist):
Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 10.44.24 AM.png

In the OpenCore 0.6.3 config files for this system, the only other change is the inclusion of NVRAM --> Delete entries:
Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 9.02.14 AM.png

The same is true on my Z490 Vision D (i.e. it does not work), but surprisingly this works on my AMD Ryzentosh (Gigabyte B550 Vision D):
View attachment 494896
I've never used this capability until now. Did it work previously on the Z490 Vision D?
To tell you the truth at one point I was able to put computer to sleep using power button (or open the dialog), but it was on OC 0.5.9 with different set of SSDT files (and possibly different config.plist settings). I stumbled upon your guide, which made everything working correctly (except this little thing), so there was no reason to keep all the previous SSDT files as I had some sleep/wake and bluetooth problems with them.

I was having that issue too, are you using Thunderbolt based displays? Are you using an expansion card? I'm still having trouble consistently getting both of the displays to show after wake up, but I'm flashing my card today and will report back.

No my display is an LG34WN80C-B connected via HDMI to my Asus RX580.
Let's start by making a list of all USB devices connected to the internal and external USB ports.

Internal: Fenvi HB1200 Wifi/BT Card
External Rear: Alesis Q49 USB2 MIDI keyboard controller, Apogee Duet 2 audio interface, HDMI capture card, 3 port USB3 hub with SD card reader, Logitech MX510 mouse
USB-C (rear): USB-C cable not connected to anything
Front case ports: Nothing plugged in

As I said, it sleeps fine for short periods of time, but anything more than a few hours = black screen on wake. Attached is an excerpt from my sleep-log of when it last failed to wake, hopefully we can garner some useful info as to what the culprit is! The Shutdown is where I just held the power button to restart.

Attachments

• Sleep-Log.png
    Sleep-Log.png
    755.1 KB · Views: 46

External Rear: Alesis Q49 USB2 MIDI keyboard controller, Apogee Duet 2 audio interface, HDMI capture card, 3 port USB3 hub with SD card reader, Logitech MX510 mouse

As I said, it sleeps fine for short periods of time, but anything more than a few hours = black screen on wake. Attached is an excerpt from my sleep-log of when it last failed to wake, hopefully we can garner some useful info as to what the culprit is! The Shutdown is where I just held the power button to restart.
The highlighted line indicates a GPU driver issue. PEG0 is Slot 1 where the GPU is installed. What is the make/model of the GPU?

Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 1.29.25 PM.png

You can try adding attached SSDT to your OC/ACPI directory and to ACPI/ADD in config.plist. It should fix all the power management issues with the card and may help with your wake problem as well. In my case it helped a lot. Before using this patch, my RX580 idle power draw was around 50-60W, now it's 18-20W. Geekbench score was around 35000 and now it's 50000.

Attachments

• SSDT-RX580.aml
    715 bytes · Views: 56
HI @CaseySJ, I'm stuck and could. I went on the adventure of flashing my thunderbolt chips both on the Vision D and the Gigabyte Titan Ridge 2.0, I followed your guide and used your firmware files. I verified that they both successfully flashed.

When I check the system information, I only see the bus active for the motherboard. I removed my titan ridge card and verified again that the chip matched the GC-Titan-Ridge-V2.0-Mod-NVM50-CaseySJ.bin and it did. Rebooting the machine I still don't have the Bus active in system information.

Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 10.20.41 PM.png

I then followed the DROM guide for the vision D, here is a screenshot of my IORegistry.

Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 10.19.04 PM.png

The issue I'm having is, My 5k Ultrafine will not turn on (plugged into the Titan Ridge) and my Apollo even though it says it's connected is not registering. It feels like a bit of a step back from pre flash. I have no experience with the DROM so I might have something wrong? That doesn't explain not seeing the bus after flashing though right?

UPDATE: I removed SSDT-TB3HP.aml from the EFI. (I also checked my Bios settings and did not have CSM disabled). Upon restart the LG turned on when I logged into Catalina. And two thunderbolt buses showed up in the profiler. I plugged in my 10gbe it did not register. I restarted the computer, changing nothing, now I only have the one thunderbolt bus, no 5k display. Also the Apollo shows up in system profile but doesn't function, same with my 10gbe.

UPDATE 2: Continuing to be inconsistent on each start. This time you can see, I have two buses but only the Ultrafine 5k showing as a device.
Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 11.58.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 12.23.20 AM.png

Last edited:
Do you have Windows or Linux on this system? If so, have you checked whether GPU fans spin up when playing a game or performing a GPU-intensive benchmark?

If you are within your right to return the Gigabyte RX5700 XT, I would suggest exchanging it for something like a Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT or PowerColor Red Dragon RX 5700 XT.
FWIW I’ve noticed this too, particularly in Big Sur. I have a Sapphire Nitro. I have not checked into it since updating to the release candidate though...

Back