Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z490 Aorus Master
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 580
Does anyone else have the problem that USB drives are shown as internal drives with gray icons?

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Does anyone else have the problem that USB drives are shown as internal drives with gray icons?
Ah, but is it really a 'problem'? ;) The nice thing is that these drives should get reconnected after wake-from-sleep.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Ok stupid question #456 from a noob builder. I ordered all the parts on page 1 except I got a i7 10700. I put the Intel CPU cooler that came with the 10700 then I realized I had the be quiet one. Should I just take off the Intel cooler and use the be quiet one? Will I damage anything?
As others mentioned, the BeQuiet! cooler is better. When removing the stock cooler from the chip:
  • Unscrew the cooler from the motherboard.
  • The cooler will be mildly "glued" to the CPU because of the thermal paste.
  • Do not separate the Cooler from the CPU while the CPU is still installed in the CPU socket!
  • Instead, flip open the CPU retention lever and gently pull out the Cooler with the CPU still attached to it.
  • This avoids damage to the CPU socket.
  • Now gently separate the CPU from the Cooler.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
[Update: Unfortunately it does not make any difference. The boot log messages show up swiftly just before the OpenCore Picker menu comes up, but when I choose Install macOS, we're back at the white infinite apple logo situation again.]
If verbose mode is enabled, the boot log messages should appear after a selection is made at the OpenCore Picker. The white Apple logo on a black screen should not appear. That screen should instead be filled with log messages.

Please post a screenshot of OpenCore Configurator --> NVRAM with boot-args visible.

Also confirm whether you performed Reset NVRAM at the OpenCore Picker before selecting Install macOS...

I should say that I'm not very well educated when it comes to this, but I made an illustration showing how I understand your description (attached to this message). Please let me know if I'm completely wrong at it.
Simply doing this makes the GC-Titan Ridge compatible with the Z490 Motherboard?
No need to connect the cable to a Thunderbolt header on the motherboard?
I guess I have to keep the jumper cable in place permanently and not only the first time I use it (activates it)?
  • That's the USB header, not the J1 header. The J1 is located just below that, and has 5 pins. When holding the card vertically such that the PCIe pins are facing the floor, we need to jumper the top and middle pins.
  • The jumper is permanent. If it's removed, the card will not power on.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Been lurking around here for a while.
I do agree with you that CaseySJ has been extremely patient and informative, but I do not agree with you on the points you made. Along those lines, I could ask you the same: why bother with a Hackintosh, when Apple produces computers?
Personally, I do own an Ultrafine 5k so I am interested in making it work. And, while there are other monitors out there, it is quite a different best.
Some comments:
  • Several folks are using the LG UltraFine 5K on their Hackintosh.
  • Because I do not own a Thunderbolt monitor, I have not been able to publish a detailed guide on setting it up and troubleshooting issues such as:
    • Blank screen in BIOS
    • Blank screen in OpenCore
    • Sleep/wake issues with USB devices connected to the back of the monitor
    • Sleep/wake issues with the monitor itself
  • An HDMI or DisplayPort ghost plug may be helpful in overcoming the blank screen problem. Notice I said "may be helpful" -- I did not say "it will be helpful".
  • We do know that the Z490 Vision D cannot drive the LG UltraFine 5K at full 5K because it has only one DP-In port.
    • Two DP-In ports are necessary for full 5K because it's the only way to achieve 5K with 10-bit color.
    • DP Stream #1 paints the left half of the monitor
    • DP Stream #2 paints the right half of the monitor
  • But with only one DP stream, the monitor is limited to 4096x2304 instead of the full 5120x2880.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i7-10700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello, a newbie user here. After 12 years of using MacPros (1,1 and 5,1), I decided to get a Hackintosh due to Apple's high prices.

I would like to thank CaseySJ for this wonderful guide, I was able to install everything without a problem. I've been doing my usual video editing work on my computer for 4 days and it works really well, at the moment the machine is really fast and Catalina is stable. I have the equivalent of a high-performance iMac at a third of the price.

I'm using at the moment my old RX580 Pulse, I will upgrade to a 5700 XT or maybe one of the new Navi2 cards if they become compatible.

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello, a newbie user here. After 12 years of using MacPros (1,1 and 5.1), I decided to get a hackintosh due to Apple's high prices.

I would like to thank CaseySJ for this wonderful guide, I was able to install everything without a problem. I've been doing my usual video editing work on my computer for 4 days and it works really well, at the moment the machine is really fast and Catalina is stable. I have the equivalent of a high-performance iMac at a third of the price.

I'm using at the moment my old RX580 Pulse, I will upgrade to a 5700 XT or maybe one of the new Navi2 cards if they become compatible.
Glad to hear it and welcome to the forum!

Motherboard
Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Xtreme
CPU
Ryzen 3970X
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Anybody know what changes there are in the new 10.15.7 (19H4) over the old 10.15.7 (19H2)?

I saw a post late yesterday on another site, but it seems to have disappeared now, that suggested it was an update to better support the new AMD 6000 cards when they are released. Probably just a rumour as it was released on the same day as the announcement, but who knows.

Screenshot 2020-10-29 at 20.21.47.png

Motherboard
Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I can't find this update from 'system update' in my MBP...

Anybody know what changes there are in the new 10.15.7 (19H4) over the old 10.15.7 (19H2)?

I saw a post late yesterday on another site, but it seems to have disappeared now, that suggested it was an update to better support the new AMD 6000 cards when they are released. Probably just a rumour as it was released on the same day as the announcement, but who knows.

View attachment 493586

Motherboard
Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Xtreme
CPU
Ryzen 3970X
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I can't find this update from 'system update' in my MBP...
It appeared on my Hackintosh yesterday but hasn't on my real 2019 MPB. There isn't a separate update on the Apple site but the whole thing is downloadable from Apple if you use gibMacos or runme-downloader.
Screenshot 2020-10-29 at 22.54.10.png