Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Alright, that's much better. Now let's tackle the remaining issues:
  • We need to transfer files and preferences/settings manually. This is the best and safest approach because it puts you in full control of the process. It is more time-consuming, but should be straightforward to do.
  • HDD performance is horrendously bad. You will check yourself into a psychiatric ward in no time! :) HDDs are good for storage of large media collections and other data, but should not be used as bootable backup drives.
  • For native brightness control, please see Troubleshooting / FAQ section (this controls both volume and brightness):View attachment 492422
  • Because the new volume is serving as the Home Folder, it must be treated with special care. We cannot rename that volume. Instead, we will need to do the following:
    • Create a new Volume with the name you want to use
    • Then clone the old Volume ("Casey") to the new volume using Carbon Copy Cloner (just clone the single volume)
    • Then go back to System Preferences --> Users & Groups and change the Home Directory to the new volume
    • Reboot when asked
    • When the new volume is fully up and running, you can then use Disk Utility to delete the old volume ("Casey")
Hey,
So far it's going good with my new volume - "Rons" as the home folder, but as you can see in the picture I've noticed there is a volume named "Catalina - Data" I suppose this is my older home folder, Is it safe to delete it?

Disk Utli photo.png

Please check both of the following:
  • Misc --> Security --> DmgLoading --> Signed
  • Misc --> Security --> SecureBootModel --> Default
View attachment 493498
Thanks for you patience CaseySJ, got it to boot, but still does not acknowledge or recognize either of the IW Kexts. Heliport shows no device found. Strange, as i'm using the same mobo as you.

Thanks for you patience CaseySJ, got it to boot, but still does not acknowledge or recognize either of the IW Kexts. Heliport shows no device found. Strange, as i'm using the same mobo as you.
These are tricky drivers. We should not use “itlwm”. Instead we should use AirportItlwm, which does not require Heliport. There is already an EFI for this board that has these drivers preconfigured. Have you seen that post, which is linked at the top of Post 1?

Hey,
So far it's going good with my new volume - "Rons" as the home folder, but as you can see in the picture I've noticed there is a volume named "Catalina - Data" I suppose this is my older home folder, Is it safe to delete it?

View attachment 493517
No. Nyet. Nein. Non.

Reactions: nss
Does anyone else have the problem that USB drives are shown as internal drives with gray icons?

Does anyone else have the problem that USB drives are shown as internal drives with gray icons?
Ah, but is it really a 'problem'? ;) The nice thing is that these drives should get reconnected after wake-from-sleep.

Ok stupid question #456 from a noob builder. I ordered all the parts on page 1 except I got a i7 10700. I put the Intel CPU cooler that came with the 10700 then I realized I had the be quiet one. Should I just take off the Intel cooler and use the be quiet one? Will I damage anything?
As others mentioned, the BeQuiet! cooler is better. When removing the stock cooler from the chip:
  • Unscrew the cooler from the motherboard.
  • The cooler will be mildly "glued" to the CPU because of the thermal paste.
  • Do not separate the Cooler from the CPU while the CPU is still installed in the CPU socket!
  • Instead, flip open the CPU retention lever and gently pull out the Cooler with the CPU still attached to it.
  • This avoids damage to the CPU socket.
  • Now gently separate the CPU from the Cooler.

[Update: Unfortunately it does not make any difference. The boot log messages show up swiftly just before the OpenCore Picker menu comes up, but when I choose Install macOS, we're back at the white infinite apple logo situation again.]
If verbose mode is enabled, the boot log messages should appear after a selection is made at the OpenCore Picker. The white Apple logo on a black screen should not appear. That screen should instead be filled with log messages.

Please post a screenshot of OpenCore Configurator --> NVRAM with boot-args visible.

Also confirm whether you performed Reset NVRAM at the OpenCore Picker before selecting Install macOS...

I should say that I'm not very well educated when it comes to this, but I made an illustration showing how I understand your description (attached to this message). Please let me know if I'm completely wrong at it.
Simply doing this makes the GC-Titan Ridge compatible with the Z490 Motherboard?
No need to connect the cable to a Thunderbolt header on the motherboard?
I guess I have to keep the jumper cable in place permanently and not only the first time I use it (activates it)?
  • That's the USB header, not the J1 header. The J1 is located just below that, and has 5 pins. When holding the card vertically such that the PCIe pins are facing the floor, we need to jumper the top and middle pins.
  • The jumper is permanent. If it's removed, the card will not power on.

Been lurking around here for a while.
I do agree with you that CaseySJ has been extremely patient and informative, but I do not agree with you on the points you made. Along those lines, I could ask you the same: why bother with a Hackintosh, when Apple produces computers?
Personally, I do own an Ultrafine 5k so I am interested in making it work. And, while there are other monitors out there, it is quite a different best.
Some comments:
  • Several folks are using the LG UltraFine 5K on their Hackintosh.
  • Because I do not own a Thunderbolt monitor, I have not been able to publish a detailed guide on setting it up and troubleshooting issues such as:
    • Blank screen in BIOS
    • Blank screen in OpenCore
    • Sleep/wake issues with USB devices connected to the back of the monitor
    • Sleep/wake issues with the monitor itself
  • An HDMI or DisplayPort ghost plug may be helpful in overcoming the blank screen problem. Notice I said "may be helpful" -- I did not say "it will be helpful".
  • We do know that the Z490 Vision D cannot drive the LG UltraFine 5K at full 5K because it has only one DP-In port.
    • Two DP-In ports are necessary for full 5K because it's the only way to achieve 5K with 10-bit color.
    • DP Stream #1 paints the left half of the monitor
    • DP Stream #2 paints the right half of the monitor
  • But with only one DP stream, the monitor is limited to 4096x2304 instead of the full 5120x2880.

Hello, a newbie user here. After 12 years of using MacPros (1,1 and 5,1), I decided to get a Hackintosh due to Apple's high prices.

I would like to thank CaseySJ for this wonderful guide, I was able to install everything without a problem. I've been doing my usual video editing work on my computer for 4 days and it works really well, at the moment the machine is really fast and Catalina is stable. I have the equivalent of a high-performance iMac at a third of the price.

I'm using at the moment my old RX580 Pulse, I will upgrade to a 5700 XT or maybe one of the new Navi2 cards if they become compatible.

Last edited:
Back