Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Great guide! However, I have a problem with installing OSX. I have followed all steps and are just about to install Mac OS. At the boot menu Install macOS Catalina shows up and I click enter. The white apple logo shows up on a black background and freezes in that state. No loading bar, nothing. I've waited up to 15 minutes before restarting the system and trying again, but no difference.

I also tried to prepare a new MacOs Installation USB stick with all the files necessary for the installation, following the guide you wrote, but the same issue remains.

Any idea what might be the issue?

My specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K
GPU: AMD Radeon VII
RAM: 2 x 32 GB, 3200 GHz, G.SKILL Tridentz RGB
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus NvME 1 TB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2 TB
Wi-Fi & Bluetooth Card: GX.Linkstar (BCM94360CD)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X63
Monitor: LG Ultrafine 5K

I've also ordered a Gigabyte Titan Ridge (2.0) add in card as I've read that it's needed. However, I wrote a message to Gigabyte how say that the Titan Ridce add in card is not supported by Z490 Vision D and that it is not needed to output 5K resolution to the monitor thru the on board Thunderbolt 3 ports, as long as a pull a DP cable from the GPU to the DP In port on the Vision D. Not yet sure wether it will work though as I am currently setting up the system using HDMI into my TV and since the LG Ultrafine 5K did not respond when I tried it earlier. That was before I made the Thunderbolt 3 Setting changes in the BIOS according the guide on the first page of this thread however.

Last edited:
Thanks CaseySJ.. I have adjusted as you've suggested, however upon reboot system reports critical error "OC:Cannot use Secure Boot with Any Dmg loading! Halting on critical error

Please check both of the following:
  • Misc --> Security --> DmgLoading --> Signed
  • Misc --> Security --> SecureBootModel --> Default
Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 5.04.22 PM.png

Thanks @CaseySJ for this helpful post! I'm about to buy the components for a hackintosh, however, I'd be interested to use an LG UltraFine 5K display with it. Would Z490 Vision D + RX 5700 XT work with it, or should I look at something else?
Hello @perte,

Because this board has only one DP-In, it means we cannot drive the LG UltraFine 5K at full 5K resolution. Additionally, if this will be the only monitor, then an HDMI or DisplayPort "ghost plug" may be needed in order to prevent the LG from being blank.

Personally, I would not recommend a Thunderbolt monitor except for those who are willing to troubleshooting the problems that often occur with Thunderbolt monitors. I just don't think it's worth the hassle.

To this day I have not purchased or used a Thunderbolt monitor with a Hackintosh, and my computing quality-of-life has not suffered the least bit! :)

Great guide! However, I have a problem with installing OSX. I have followed all steps and are just about to install Mac OS. At the boot menu Install macOS Catalina shows up and I click enter. The white apple logo shows up on a black background and freezes in that state. No loading bar, nothing. I've waited up to 15 minutes before restarting the system and trying again, but no difference.

I also tried to prepare a new MacOs Installation USB stick with all the files necessary for the installation, following the guide you wrote, but the same issue remains.

Any idea what might be the issue?

My specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K
GPU: AMD Radeon VII
RAM: 2 x 32 GB, 3200 GHz, G.SKILL Tridentz RGB
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus NvME 1 TB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2 TB
Wi-Fi & Bluetooth Card: GX.Linkstar (BCM94360CD)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X63
Monitor: LG Ultrafine 5K

I've also ordered a Gigabyte Titan Ridge (2.0) add in card as I've read that it's needed. However, I wrote a message to Gigabyte how say that the Titan Ridce add in card is not supported by Z490 Vision D and that it is not needed to output 5K resolution to the monitor thru the on board Thunderbolt 3 ports, as long as a pull a DP cable from the GPU to the DP In port on the Vision D. Not yet sure wether it will work though as I am currently setting up the system using HDMI into my TV and since the LG Ultrafine 5K did not respond when I tried it earlier. That was before I made the Thunderbolt 3 Setting changes in the BIOS according the guide on the first page of this thread however.
Hello @Sthlm,

Several comments:
  • Is the Samsung 970 EVO Plus running the latest firmware? If it's a recent production model (i.e. manufactured in 2020) then most likely it is.
  • During installation, try keeping the Seagate Barracuda disconnected.
  • Do you have a non-Thunderbolt monitor with HDMI or DisplayPort inputs? I would not recommend the LG UltraFine 5K for installation. An HDMI or DisplayPort ghost plug (or second monitor) may be necessary. A standard HDMI/DP monitor is highly recommended.
  • Have you tried enabling verbose mode? Please see Tech Talk --> open the spoiler to see the OpenCore Configurator gallery. The screenshot of NVRAMshows how to enable Verbose mode.
    • After adding -v to Boot-args as explained in the screenshot, save the config.plist and reboot.
    • At the OpenCore Picker menu, press <space> to reveal extra options, then choose Reset NVRAM at the right side.
    • When system reboot, select Install macOS option. Now you'll see lots of boot log messages.
  • The GC-Titan Ridge card normally requires a Thunderbolt header on the motherboard. The Z490 Vision D does not have that header because it has on-board Thunderbolt.
    • To activate the GC-Titan Ridge card it is necessary to connect a jumper wire between the middle and top pins of the J1 header on the back of the GC-Titan Ridge.

Quite frankly, I'm blown away by @CaseySJ 's patience regarding people's TB3 requests/questions.
IMHO, we should only try to figure out how to make UAD TB3 works and call it a day. UAD TB3 function something users can't workaround. For other devices, the reason is simple:
1. If people need monitors, tons of good ones out there, no need to bother with TB3;
2. If people need NAS/RAID drives, plenty of good ones there with USB3. Some legacy TB2 drives might be an issue here.
3. No need to bother with eGPU since we already have a desktop;
4. No need to bother with dongle since we already have a desktop;

Bottom line is, @CaseySJ and many others figure out TB and the flashed firmware stuff which are fantastic! But as a user who knows little about Hackintosh/TB3, we should minimize the trouble as much as possible. my $0.02

Hello @perte,

Because this board has only one DP-In, it means we cannot drive the LG UltraFine 5K at full 5K resolution. Additionally, if this will be the only monitor, then an HDMI or DisplayPort "ghost plug" may be needed in order to prevent the LG from being blank.

Personally, I would not recommend a Thunderbolt monitor except for those who are willing to troubleshooting the problems that often occur with Thunderbolt monitors. I just don't think it's worth the hassle.

To this day I have not purchased or used a Thunderbolt monitor with a Hackintosh, and my computing quality-of-life has not suffered the least bit! :)

Ok stupid question #456 from a noob builder. I ordered all the parts on page 1 except I got a i7 10700. I put the Intel CPU cooler that came with the 10700 then I realized I had the be quiet one. Should I just take off the Intel cooler and use the be quiet one? Will I damage anything?

Ok stupid question #456 from a noob builder. I ordered all the parts on page 1 except I got a i7 10700. I put the Intel CPU cooler that came with the 10700 then I realized I had the be quiet one. Should I just take off the Intel cooler and use the be quiet one? Will I damage anything?
You’ve got more chance of damaging the chip if you use the Intel cooler, as it’s terrible! The best place for that thing is in the bin. Use the bequiet one!

As Higgie mentioned, the cooler included with the Intel CPU is hot garbage.

Just remove it carefully and there shouldn't be any issues. Only thing to note is you will want to thoroughly wipe away any residue of the thermal gunk that came pre-applied to the Intel cooler. Chances are some of it will still be stuck to the CPU and you need that surface as clean as possible. When you have it smooth and shiny, then you can proceed.

You will need to check if the be quiet cooler requires some kind of mounting hardware on the backside of the motherboard. Intel coolers don't need anything but many third party coolers do. If yours does, hopefully you have access to the back of the motherboard without taking an entire build apart. If the motherboard is already mounted in the case, check if the panel on that side can come off and you might be able to get at the spot from there. If you haven't yet gotten far with your build then there shouldn't be any problems, but be aware of the size of the cooler. Big coolers cover up areas you may need to reach while doing the build (RAM, power connectors, mounting screws for the motherboard). I personally prefer to put my oversized air coolers into place after all the other parts are in.

When the cooler is ready to be placed into position, apply thermal paste to the CPU. If it's a new cooler, it probably came with some in the box. Follow their directions, DOUBLE CHECK THE FAN DIRECTION (air should flow from the front of the case towards the rear) and then you can lock the cooler into place.

Good luck!

Hello @Sthlm,

Several comments:
  • Is the Samsung 970 EVO Plus running the latest firmware? If it's a recent production model (i.e. manufactured in 2020) then most likely it is.
First of all, thank you for such a swift reply!

The manufacturing date written on the packaging is September 2020, so I figured that the latest firmware should be on it. If not, is there any easy way to update it in my situation (where macOS is not yet installed).

• During installation, try keeping the Seagate Barracuda disconnected.
Okay, I will disconnect it and give it a try.
[Update: Simply doing this did not make any difference, but I will keep it disconnected while also enabling verbose mode as a solution.]

• Do you have a non-Thunderbolt monitor with HDMI or DisplayPort inputs? I would not recommend the LG UltraFine 5K for installation. An HDMI or DisplayPort ghost plug (or second monitor) may be necessary. A standard HDMI/DP monitor is highly recommended.
I'm currently running the installation on my Sony TV using the HDMI output on the GPU, so in that way, I avoid the LGUF5K during the installation.

• Have you tried enabling verbose mode? Please see Tech Talk --> open the spoiler to see the OpenCore Configurator gallery. The screenshot of NVRAMshows how to enable Verbose mode.
    • After adding -v to Boot-args as explained in the screenshot, save the config.plist and reboot.
    • At the OpenCore Picker menu, press <space> to reveal extra options, then choose Reset NVRAM at the right side.
    • When system reboot, select Install macOS option. Now you'll see lots of boot log messages.
I will try this if disconnecting the Barracuda is not enough.
[Update: Unfortunately it does not make any difference. The boot log messages show up swiftly just before the OpenCore Picker menu comes up, but when I choose Install macOS, we're back at the white infinite apple logo situation again.]

• The GC-Titan Ridge card normally requires a Thunderbolt header on the motherboard. The Z490 Vision D does not have that header because it has on-board Thunderbolt.
    • To activate the GC-Titan Ridge card it is necessary to connect a jumper wire between the middle and top pins of the J1 header on the back of the GC-Titan Ridge.
I should say that I'm not very well educated when it comes to this, but I made an illustration showing how I understand your description (attached to this message). Please let me know if I'm completely wrong at it.
Simply doing this makes the GC-Titan Ridge compatible with the Z490 Motherboard?
No need to connect the cable to a Thunderbolt header on the motherboard?
I guess I have to keep the jumper cable in place permanently and not only the first time I use it (activates it)?

Thank you!

Attachments

• J1-Jumper-Cable---GC-Titan-Rige.jpg
    J1-Jumper-Cable---GC-Titan-Rige.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Quite frankly, I'm blown away by @CaseySJ 's patience regarding people's TB3 requests/questions.
[..]

Been lurking around here for a while.
I do agree with you that CaseySJ has been extremely patient and informative, but I do not agree with you on the points you made. Along those lines, I could ask you the same: why bother with a Hackintosh, when Apple produces computers?
Personally, I do own an Ultrafine 5k so I am interested in making it work. And, while there are other monitors out there, it is quite a different best.

Back