Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iBook
  3. iMac
  4. Plus
  5. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Interesting, I don't seem to have the AppleVideoToolBox codecs in handbrake, just the VideoToolBox codecs (H264,H265) and when I use handbake it's using CPU only; neither the RX5700XT or the iGPU...
I'm running Handbreak Version 1.3.3. Look under Video tab, Video encoder. You should find them there. I then make a custom preset to use that video encoder.

Re: adding igfxfw=2

Before adding:
1. Using Quicktime to play the Sony movie, the movie didn't not start playing correctly but after a little while it corrected itself. The Intel Power Gadget showed "GXF Avg" increasing as previously noted. CPU utilization was very low and CPU temps were mid-range
2. Using Handbrake with "Apple 1080p60 Surround (AppleVideoToolbox H.264)" converted Blu-Ray version of Roger Rabbit at about 130 fps. Using Handbrake with. "Apple 2160p60 Surround (AppleVideoToolbox H.265) converted Blu-Ray version of Roger Rabbit at about 75 fps. CPU utilization was very low and CPU temps were mid-range.

After adding igfxfw=2 and resetting NVRAM:

1. Quicktime played the Sony movie without a hiccup. The Intel Power Gadget showed "GXF Avg" around 0.5. CPU utilization was much higher as were the CPU temps.
3. Using Handbrake with "Apple 1080p60 Surround (AppleVideoToolbox H.264)" converted Blu-Ray version of Roger Rabbit at about 200 fps. Much faster, however "GXF Avg" was still around 0.5. CPU utilization was much higher as were CPU temps. Using Handbrake with. "Apple 2160p60 Surround (AppleVideoToolbox H.265) converted Blu-Ray version of Roger Rabbit at about 75 fps (about the same speed). CPU utilization was very high and CPU temps were high.

Now I don't really know anything about "Intel Power Gadget" but on my system, it didn't look like adding igfxfw=2 improved the use of iGPU, in fact it appeared that it decreased it's usage based on "GFX Avg". It also appears that Handbrake is faster for H.264 using the CPU's than the iGPU.

At least all of this is my recollection. :). I'm on Vision-D, OC 0.6.2, i9-10000k, iMac19,1. I removed igfxfw=2 because it didn't seem to improve the use of the iGPU based on the "GFX Avg" graph in "Intel Power Gadget" although Handbreak H.264 was faster with it specified. CPU's were more heavily utilized and ran hotter which is why I removed it. Don't need difference in 130 fps vs 200 fps.

Rand

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@elfcake : please do not quote mini-guides in their entirety. This is stated directly below the title of the guide.

OpenCore release package now has both IA32 and X64 directories. We use the X64 directory only. IA32 refers to Intel’s 32-bit CPU architecture.

Motherboard
GigaByte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
  5. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iBook
  3. iMac
  4. Plus
  5. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm starting to think it's just a lack of full support for iMac20,2 SMBIOS. When I rename 'Intel UHD630' in device properties, I lose the iGPU Graph in Intel Power Gadget, but I GAIN the ability to see it in iStat Menus, and on exporting the Sony Camp 4K Demo (as a 4K HEVC file) I get about 75% iGPU load in iStat menus. I'm almost willing to confirm this by trying a 19,1 SMBIOS... but... I'll wait and see.

View attachment 491129
BTW, I'm running as an iMac19,1 because when I switch to iMac20,2, the lack of a T chip prevented my ArqBackup from running. When I reverted back to iMac19,1 all was better. All of my tests with Handbrake and Quicktime in my last post was running as iMac19,1.

Rand

elfcake

Banned
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 D
CPU
i7-10700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I don't understand: You already have the latest OpenCore 0.6.2 so what is the reason for following that mini-guide?
With regard to this, I am confused. What does this mean?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 4.55.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 4.55.11 PM.png
    133 KB · Views: 37
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision G
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
  2. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm running Handbreak Version 1.3.3. Look under Video tab, Video encoder. You should find them there. I then make a custom preset to use that video encoder.

Re: adding igfxfw=2

Before adding:
1. Using Quicktime to play the Sony movie, the movie didn't not start playing correctly but after a little while it corrected itself. The Intel Power Gadget showed "GXF Avg" increasing as previously noted. CPU utilization was very low and CPU temps were mid-range
2. Using Handbrake with "Apple 1080p60 Surround (AppleVideoToolbox H.264)" converted Blu-Ray version of Roger Rabbit at about 130 fps. Using Handbrake with. "Apple 2160p60 Surround (AppleVideoToolbox H.265) converted Blu-Ray version of Rogr Rabbit at about 75 fps. CPU utilization was very low and CPU temps were mid-range.

After adding igfxfw=2 and resetting NVRAM:

1. Quicktime plaited the Sony movie without a hiccup. The Intel Power Gadget showed "GXF Avg" around 0.5. CPU utilization was much higher as were the CPU temps.
3. Using Handbrake with "Apple 1080p60 Surround (AppleVideoToolbox H.264)" converted Blu-Ray version of Roger Rabbit at about 200 fps. Much faster, however "GXF Avg" was still around 0.5. CPU utilization was much higher as were CPU temps. Using Handbrake with. "Apple 2160p60 Surround (AppleVideoToolbox H.265) converted Blu-Ray version of Rogr Rabbit at about 75 fps (about the same speed). CPU utilization was very high and CPU temps were high.

Now I don't really know anything about "Intel Power Gadget" but on my system, it didn't look like adding igfxfw=2 improved the user of iGPU, in fact it appeared that it decreased it's usage based on "GFX Avg". It also appears that Handbrake is faster for H.264 using the CPU's than the iGPU.

At least all of this is my recollection. :). I'm on Vision-D, OC 0.6.2, i9-10000k, . I removed igfxfw=2 because it didn't seem to improve the use of the iGPU based on the "GFX Avg" graph in "Intel Power Gadget" although Handbreak H.264 was faster with it specified. CPU's were more heavily utilized and ran hotter which is why I removed it. Don't need difference in 130 fps vs 200 fps.

Rand

This is also from Handbrake 1.3.3, not sure why yours are named "Apple" and mine aren't. I honestly think I'm getting decent performance, and that it's being under reported by Intel Power Gadget for SMBIOS iMac20,2 as iStat Menus reports about 75% GPU load on conversions and 3% CPU load (Quicktime conversion of Sony Camp 4K Demo)

Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 6.55.29 PM.png

Thanks for checking all that stuff out for me btw!

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision G
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
  2. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
BTW, I'm running as an iMac19,1 because when I switch to iMac20,2, the lack of a T chip prevented my ArqBackup from running. When I reverted back to iMac19,1 all was better. All of my tests with Handbrake and Quicktime in my last post was running as iMac19,1.

Rand
Ohhhh right.... the T2 Chip... This could be part of that puzzle for sure.

elfcake

Banned
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 D
CPU
i7-10700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@elfcake : please do not quote mini-guides in their entirety. This is stated directly below the title of the guide.

OpenCore release package now has both IA32 and X64 directories. We use the X64 directory only. IA32 refers to Intel’s 32-bit CPU architecture.
Thank you.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thank you.
The point you raised is quite valid so I have updated the manual upgrade procedure by adding a screenshot:

Motherboard
Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5 10400
Graphics
RX580
Hello @nghesi,

Glad to hear it and welcome to the forum. Good job on success-at-first-try! :)

Regarding wake-from-sleep:
  • What devices are connected to the F_USB internal USB 2 headers?
  • Are you using a WiFi/BT PCIe card? If so, which make/model?
  • Are you using a Bluetooth mouse or keyboard? If so, which make/model?
  • What is the make/model of your monitor?
  • Are you using HDMI or DisplayPort cable? Are you using any video adapters such as DP to HDMI or DP to DVI, etc.?
  • Are there any other PCIe devices in the system other than AMD RX 580 and WiFi/BT card?
Thank you for having a look at my problem, for addressing each item as following
  • What devices are connected to the F_USB internal USB 2 headers? - one F_USB1 link cable to my front USB2.0 of my case
  • Are you using a WiFi/BT PCIe card? If so, which make/model? - Not yet, I'm waiting for my Fenvi T919 to be arrived
  • Are you using a Bluetooth mouse or keyboard? If so, which make/model? - no, wired death adder mouse and keyboard
  • What is the make/model of your monitor? - It's 4K Dell U2720Q
  • Are you using HDMI or DisplayPort cable? Are you using any video adapters such as DP to HDMI or DP to DVI, etc.? - I am using DP to DP cable
  • Are there any other PCIe devices in the system other than AMD RX 580 and WiFi/BT card? - Nope
It seems like the problem came from my display ? when I have my mac sleep, it seems only the monitor is off, the blue light on the vision D and the fan of my case is still powered, the error code display is still dislaying the "R0" value make me think my mac hasn't been in real sleep but I can wake it up, however (usually in longer time) I can't wake it up anymore and I have to force power it off. Sorry for my bad English if I wasn't make sense.

And I have a track pad 2, but since I haven't got bluetooth yet, i plugged it in the USB port then my mac won't boot. but if I boot the system up and plug that in after it will work normally. Can I fix this too ?

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thank you for having a look at my problem, for addressing each item as following
  • What devices are connected to the F_USB internal USB 2 headers? - one F_USB1 link cable to my front USB2.0 of my case
  • Are you using a WiFi/BT PCIe card? If so, which make/model? - Not yet, I'm waiting for my Fenvi T919 to be arrived
  • Are you using a Bluetooth mouse or keyboard? If so, which make/model? - no, wired death adder mouse and keyboard
  • What is the make/model of your monitor? - It's 4K Dell U2720Q
  • Are you using HDMI or DisplayPort cable? Are you using any video adapters such as DP to HDMI or DP to DVI, etc.? - I am using DP to DP cable
  • Are there any other PCIe devices in the system other than AMD RX 580 and WiFi/BT card? - Nope
It seems like the problem came from my display ? when I have my mac sleep, it seems only the monitor is off, the blue light on the vision D and the fan of my case is still powered, the error code display is still dislaying the "R0" value make me think my mac hasn't been in real sleep but I can wake it up, however (usually in longer time) I can't wake it up anymore and I have to force power it off. Sorry for my bad English if I wasn't make sense.

And I have a track pad 2, but since I haven't got bluetooth yet, i plugged it in the USB port then my mac won't boot. but if I boot the system up and plug that in after it will work normally. Can I fix this too ?
Are any devices connected to the front USB 2.0 ports? My first suspicion is that the front USB 2.0 ports are interfering with sleep/wake because both of the internal F_USB headers are connected to a single USB 2.0 hub that is configured as an Internal device. This means sleep/wake may fail if an ejectable device is connected to the front panel USB 2.0 ports.

Also have a look at the Sleep Aid guide: