Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Are you using igfxfw=2 in boot arguments as described here?

View attachment 491087
Yeah, I've done all of those things and tried a number of different headless framebuffers for UHD630, nothing gets it above 0.15GHz. Now wonder if it's a result of my vCore and loadline calibration adjustments? Either way it's a little strange, and not one else seems to have this issue but me

Yeah, I've done all of those things and tried a number of different headless framebuffers for UHD630, nothing gets it above 0.15GHz. Now wonder if it's a result of my vCore and loadline calibration adjustments? Either way it's a little strange, and not one else seems to have this issue but me
What bios version are you running?

Vision-G F7. Was just thinking the same thing as I read this; might downgrade to F6 and see if that changes things...
Oh I’m on the vision d, version 6. There shouldn't be a difference between boards, should there?

Oh I’m on the vision d, version 6. There shouldn't be a difference between boards, should there?

Not sure, but I just had another thought: Maybe imac20,2 with a rx5700XT works differently; looking at my iStatMenus it seems that the 5700XT is doing more of the work than the iGPU:

Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 10.43.34 AM.png

Not sure, but I just had another thought: Maybe imac20,2 with a rx5700XT works differently; looking at my iStatMenus it seems that the 5700XT is doing more of the work than the iGPU:

View attachment 491111
And this is on exporting 4K Camp Video to 1080P HEVC:

Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 10.47.15 AM.png

Question to all running Z490 here: have any of you gotten the igpu above 0.15GHz in Intel Power Gadget under load? If so, what CPU model and what SMBIOS?

Thanks!
Running Handbreak with "Apple 2160p60 4K HEVC Surround (AppleVideoToolBox)", I see GFX AVG up to about 4.2 and GFX REQ up to about 1.2, but a lot of variation.

Running Handbreak with "Apple 1080p60 Surround (AppleVideoToolBox)" I see GFX AVG up to about 5.3 and GFX REQ up to about 0.56, again with a lot of variation.

Just installed Casey's latest OC 0.6.2 so it is the SMBIOS that was delivered with that. CPU is i9-10900K.

Rand

Hello @maeluse,

It is wonderful to see that you handled every challenge with such competence! You searched for answers, you performed experiments (even repetitively), and you persevered throughout the long process. Your post is a shining example of what I mean when I say that, as Hackintosh owners, we must learn to be our own first line of defense. There is no tech support with Hackintosh, no Genius Bar, no satisfaction guarantee, no promise of compatibility with the components we use, no promise that future software updates will work, and the list goes on. The way you handled adversity is exemplary.

Some comments:
  • I will modify Post #1 with a reference to your post. It can indeed be very helpful to others.
  • Issue 1: Intel Octane Driver and setting SATA ports to AHCI in BIOS.
    • Good lessons here for everyone.
  • Issue 2: Sleep.
    • If the computer comes out of sleep quickly, first try sudo pmset -a proximitywake 0.
    • If this does not work, please try disconnecting any devices that are plugged into the two USB 2.0 headers on the motherboard.
    • If that also does not help, let us know. There is a Sleep Aid guide here.
  • Issue 3: UAD devices did not appear until 10 install/re-install cycles.
    • Please check if you have this enabled:
      • BIOS --> Thunderbolt Boot Support --> Boot Once.
  • Issue 4: Sizzling sound
    • Good lessons here as well.
  • Issue 5:"An error occurred validating the installer data"
    • Good lesson.
Hi @CaseySJ and everyone,

First, very sorry for the late reply and thanks a lot for your encouraging words and (last but not least) for referring my post in the FAQ section! :thumbup: Knowing the perfect quality of your tutorial, I feel like honoured to be somehow part of it! I hope this could at least help a few people.

Yes, to be honest I actually have a quite superficial picture of the general functioning of OpenCore, together with the drivers/ktexts/patchs and how they articulate around the boot process, and I am really sorry for that. I wish I could know much more about it, but unfortunately my desperately busy schedule does not give me enough time to go as deep as I would like into this obscure (for me) universe. And, as long as everything works fine, I don't see any reason for me to do it... ;) Anyway, in the "real life" I am a software engineer. So, as a professional quirk I am kinda stubborn, and when I face a problem I like to get to know it and investigate until everything looks clear, how little my knowledge about the topic can be. o_O

I solved the Issue 2! thanks for your help on this too! the "Sleep Aid" really made things easier! It is not clear though which specific option really cleared out the issue, as I sometimes tried several options at the same time. I will anyway detail each step. Hopefully it can also help people having the same configuration and facing the same issues.

First, I must maybe shortly describe the symptoms: my computer used to regularly enter into a dark wake state. It happened every 1-2 hours. The behaviour was usually always the following: it spontaneously woke up, then stayed awake about 30 seconds (in average), and finally fell back into a deep sleep. As it was logged by the system as a "dark waking up", I started to proceed that way:
  • I disabled PowerNap (no effect: but it's important to note here that it was a part of the final solution)
  • I re-enabled PowerNap
  • I unplugged every USB devices (not only the ones plugged on the USB Header through the computer case) and my Thunderbolt cable. Basically then, only my HDMI monitor cable was plugged in the motherboard. (no effect)
  • As I am using a Bluetooth Magic Keyboard and Magic Trackpad AND as I read somewhere that it might be caused by a Bluetooth intermittent signal, I then unchecked the following option in [System Preferences -> Bluetooth -> Advanced] (sorry for the French) (no effect):
1602249065785.png

• I gave a try to your suggested command: sudo pmset -a proximitywake 0 (no effect)
Before I continue with the last steps, it may be useful to share you the wake reason that I could identify in the log (dumped with the following command: pmset -g log):

0 kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: RTC PEG1 PEG2 RP04 (Alarm)

Always the same message appeared, showing PEG1 and PEG2. I guess that PEG1 and PEG2 ids refer to the PCI Express Graphic card. In addition to that, I read in the "Sleep Aid" that AMD RX 5700 series GPUs may trouble the sleep. I own a RX 5700XT, so there were already two hints that the cause could be my graphic card. On the other hand, I did not want to isolate this issue. I could indeed unplug the card and activate the intel graphics chip... however as I was satisfied with how I arranged the hardware components and cables inside my case, I did not want to touch it anymore... and yes, I am kind of lazy :rolleyes: ... anyway I went on with the next steps:
  • I tried then the following command: sudo pmset -a tcpkeepalive 0 (no effect)
  • I re-disabled PowerNap (in the Power Settings)... and tadaaa --> it worked!!! <--
For your information, here is how my Power Settings window now looks like (sorry again for the French):

1602254339550.png

So, as I said, it is not clear which precise setting made it... maybe the combination of all of them is necessary. As for me, as I don't need the proximitywake feature and tcpkeepalive either (the latter is only needed for Find My Mac localisation service, which I will never use), I will leave the options like they are now. That's totally fine!

I can confirm now, after several days of testing with these settings, that my computer can endlessly remain in the deep sleep state, and this with all my USB and Thunderbolt plugged in and bluetooth magic things turned on.

Now I can finally say that my Hackintosh is perfectly healthy and fully functional (if I omit some rare boot issues... but they are so rare that I don't even care :cool:)

Just a little remark about Issue 3:

The boot option: BIOS --> Thunderbolt Boot Support --> Boot Once was already enabled. Moreover, as I said, at the point when I installed the UAD Drivers, my Thunderbolt Apollo sound card was not plugged in yet. I experienced these issues when I tried to make the UAD driver detect my UAD-2 Solo PCI-E card... So, if you are unlucky like me, you might face the same issues, even though your BIOS is correctly configured. However, I would vote for a UAD installer bug maybe in association with a specific version of MacOS. IMO, it is likely to be fixed in a next update of the UAD software.

This completes my experience with this build. Thanks again @CaseySJ for bringing this awesome build to my home studio experience. I am already enjoying it beyond my expectations! :headbang:

Cheers!

I can't thanks @CaseySJ enough for writing such detailed guide, it makes my first experience with hackintosh much easier. I have exactly same hardware and get the Big Sur installed with one try - thanks again

I just only have one problem with sleep / wake up, that if I leave the mac for a while I can't get it wake up again even if I use the power button. Is this a problem that I can fix ?

Hello @nghesi,

Glad to hear it and welcome to the forum. Good job on success-at-first-try! :)

Regarding wake-from-sleep:
  • What devices are connected to the F_USB internal USB 2 headers?
  • Are you using a WiFi/BT PCIe card? If so, which make/model?
  • Are you using a Bluetooth mouse or keyboard? If so, which make/model?
  • What is the make/model of your monitor?
  • Are you using HDMI or DisplayPort cable? Are you using any video adapters such as DP to HDMI or DP to DVI, etc.?
  • Are there any other PCIe devices in the system other than AMD RX 580 and WiFi/BT card?

@CaseySJ I've had the same issue @nghesi had - Vision D + 10900k. I'll answer the questions you posted:
  • F_USB had the BT cable from both Fenvi & Youbo WiFi/BT cards. I also tested it with nothing plugged into F_USB => Same result
  • Fenvi T919 initially, then bought the Youbo one that is recommended => Same Result
  • Tested with Logitech MX Keys & MX Master 3 as well as wired keyboard and mouse. => Same result
  • Monitor is an LG 32 inch
  • Tested using both DisplayPort & HDMI cable. No video adapters
  • No other PCIe devices other than my 5700 XT. But I also tested it without the GPU and just the iGPU => Same result
Same result => Machine sleeps, the front light goes off. The post code LEDs go off. Then the machine never wakes up. Whats strange is that this happens both in Windows & macOS.

I tried everything under the sun (no GPU, different PSU, different memory, inside & outside the case, wired keyboard & mouse) and ended up returning the Gigabyte MB since I narrowed it down to a defective MB. I know that sounds crazy but I couldn't imagine what else it would be.

Tonight, I watched the breathing light on the front panel of the sleep under windows and it did not flash. It seems that the Gigabyte motherboard does not flash.

@CaseySJ or anyone having the MB. Can you guys confirm what the behavior is for correct wake from sleep:

• Do the blue lights on the MB turn off during sleep?
  • Do the post code LEDs turn off?
I want to give this another shot because of the awesome guide posted by Casey :)

Anyone fancy guiding me through the upgrade to 0.6.2 from 0.6.1 on a Vision G? ;)
** Mini-Guide: Procedure for In-Place Upgrade of OpenCore
from Earlier Version to New Version **

Please do not quote this guide in its entirety. Post a link instead.​

Whenever a new version of OpenCore is released we can update our EFI folder as follows:

Preparation:
  • Download the new OpenCore package and unzip the files.
  • Mount EFI partition of a USB flash disk and rename existing EFI folder to EFI-OLD (or something similar).
  • Then copy the current active EFI folder from the macOS internal SSD to the EFI partition of the USB flash disk.
    • This allows us to configure and test the new OpenCore release without harming our main macOS SSD.
  • Now the USB flash disk contains an exact copy of the current EFI folder.
  • Unmount the EFI partition of the internal macOS SSD.
    • The EFI partition of the USB flash disk should remain mounted.
Procedure:
  • Examine the screenshot below and proceed with the rest of this section: Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 4.32.29 PM.png
  • Make the following changes to the EFI partition of the USB flash disk:
    • Replace EFI/OC/OpenCore.efi with the new version you downloaded.
    • Replace EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi with the new version you downloaded.
    • Replace EFI/OC/Bootstrap/Bootstrap.efi with the new version you downloaded.
      • (No longer applicable.)
    • Replace the files inside EFI/OC/Tools with the new versions you downloaded.
      • CFG-Lock.efi is not part of OpenCore so don't replace this file.
    • Replace the files inside EFI/OC/Drivers with the new versions you downloaded.
      • Replace only the files that already exist in the USB flash disk's EFI/OC/Drivers folder.
      • There will be many additional drivers in the OpenCore package you downloaded; do not copy any that don't already exist on the USB flash disk.
      • Do not replace HfsPlus.efi because this file is not regularly updated and is not included in the OpenCore package.
  • Now download the latest version of OpenCore Configurator from here and launch the application.
    • Now select OpenCore Configurator --> Preferences from the menu bar and select the OpenCore Settings tab.
    • Select OpenCore w.x.y Release or OpenCore w.x.y Development Version. (Latest release version.)
    • OpenCore Configurator will now quit and restart.
  • When OpenCore Configurator restarts, open config.plist from the USB flash disk (EFI/OC folder).
  • Click through each of the sections on the left side without making any changes:
    • ACPI, Booter, DeviceProperties, Kernel, Misc, NVRAM, PlatformInfo, UEFI.
  • Save the file back.
  • Now your config.plist has been updated to the new OpenCore specification.
Test:
  • Reboot the system and press F12 at BIOS splash screen to open the BIOS boot menu (not OpenCore Picker).
  • Select the USB flash disk.
  • Confirm that OpenCore Picker GUI appears.
  • Select the internal macOS SSD.
  • Does it boot up normally?
  • Use the system for a little while to confirm that everything is working.
  • Look through System Information to ensure that all devices are present and operational:
    • Audio
    • Bluetooth
    • Ethernet
    • PCI
    • WiFi
Commit the Changes:
  • Once you're comfortable with the new EFI folder on the USB flash disk, copy it to the EFI partition of the internal macOS SSD.
  • Then remove the USB flash disk and boot directly from the macOS SSD to confirm everything is still okay.

Last edited:
Back