Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Disadvantage to switching from iMac19,1 to iMac20,x

I discovered one disadvantage when I switched from iMac19,1 to iMac20,2. Not having a T2 chip. I have some software that stopped working because the Hackintosh doesn't have a T2 chip (although a real iMac20,x does). I'm switching back to iMac19,1. Also didn't notice any increase in performance. Just thought I would pass this along.

Rand

Disadvantage to switching from iMac19,1 to iMac20,x

I discovered one disadvantage when I switched from iMac19,1 to iMac20,2. Not having a T2 chip. I have some software that stopped working because the Hackintosh doesn't have a T2 chip (although a real iMac20,x does). I'm switching back to iMac19,1. Also didn't notice any increase in performance. Just thought I would pass this along.

Rand
What software isn’t working for you?

What software isn’t working for you?
I use ArqBackup to backup all of my Macs' Home directories offsite to Wasabi. Arq would not initialize when I switched from iMac19,1 to iMac20,2. I'm out of town and cannot absolutely verify this until I return home, but the error from Arq was "2020-09-26 18:18:44.317 ArqAgent[1413:20569] initialization error: incorrect password" and the backup is encrypted to Wasabi. So far that is the only thing I had problems with when I switched and I suspect that the lack of T2 is the problem. Arq was working fine at iMac19,1.

Also note that after I switched, I reinstalled Mac OS 10.15.7 because I don't know if there are differences in OS due to model of machine.

Rand

Last edited:
Regarding Intel Bluetooth, you should be able to pair Bluetooth devices after Resetting the Bluetooth Module, as follows:
  • Press and hold SHIFT-OPTION and click the Bluetooth icon in menu bar.
  • If you're running Catalina, you will see a Debug menu item, and it will have a sub-menu item called Reset the Bluetooth module.
  • Select that and try removing and pairing your devices (don't forget to remove them first if they appear in the list of paired devices).

I tried to boot using my installation pendrive that don't include the wireless module support and then I connected to a USB port a bluetooth dongle from Asus. no kext or other thing needed mouse pair at first try.
I continue to investigate...

I appreciate that there is no support here for macOS Big Sur.

But for those that have looked at it, has anyone figured out how to get past the new file system security specifically with system file read and write privileges? I need to apply a previously known fix for a Corsair Commander Pro being recognised as a UPS.

I appreciate that there is no support here for macOS Big Sur.

But for those that have looked at it, has anyone figured out how to get past the new file system security specifically with system file read and write privileges? I need to apply a previously known fix for a Corsair Commander Pro being recognised as a UPS.
It's much harder to do this in Big Sur. Below is an article that describes the procedure. See Bypassing SSV (SSV = Signed System Volume).

Please try the following in BIOS:
  • Settings --> Platform Power Management --> Power Loading --> Enabled
I got my hopes up there for a moment. Unfortunately, no change. :( I really thought this was going to be THE fix since it describes my issue well. Thanks again.

Ed

I am a bit stuck here (and feeling slightly stupid) at the very beginning of configuring the config.plist.

I downloaded OpenCore Configurator 0.6.1 and renamed the config-AMD-GPU.plist to config.plist and then opened this with OpenCore Configurator.

I am getting stuck already at the first step:

"Then click DataHub - Generic - PlatformNVRAM and choose iMac19,1 from the pop-up menu at the bottom as shown below."

Nothing happens when I click the pop-up menu at the bottom and nothing happens when I click the "Generate" next to "ROM".

OCC-nothing-happens.png

I got my hopes up there for a moment. Unfortunately, no change. :( I really thought this was going to be THE fix since it describes my issue well. Thanks again.

Ed
Because this is happening in Windows as well, it may be a good idea to contact Gigabyte tech support and list all of the components that are in the system.

I am a bit stuck here (and feeling slightly stupid) at the very beginning of configuring the config.plist.

I downloaded OpenCore Configurator 0.6.1 and renamed the config-AMD-GPU.plist to config.plist and then opened this with OpenCore Configurator.

I am getting stuck already at the first step:

"Then click DataHub - Generic - PlatformNVRAM and choose iMac19,1 from the pop-up menu at the bottom as shown below."

Nothing happens when I click the pop-up menu at the bottom and nothing happens when I click the "Generate" next to "ROM".

View attachment 489844
Please check that you have the latest version, which is 2.14.0.0.

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 2.50.30 PM.png

Back