Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

As I'm relatively new to Hackintoshes, and I've been curious what difference the model makes when configuring OC, I decided to conduct some tests on my own system. This was not a particularly scientific test, but I thought some people might find it interesting, so I decided to share my results. OS is Catalina 10.15.7 and I used CaseySJ's 'OC-061-VISION-D' as the base OC config (only Model was changed).
  • iMacPro 1,1
  • MacPro 7,1
  • iMac 20,2
  • iMac 20,1
  • iMac 19,1
Geekbench 5 scores:
View attachment 489483View attachment 489484

Couple notes:
  • MacPro gave me an error stating that my RAM was misconfigured and over the supported maximum. Did not investigate.
  • Only iMac 19,1 and iMacPro 1,1 worked with iStat Menus to display all the sensors in the below screenshot. The other models only showed two or three sensors (can't remember which).
View attachment 489487
Thank you; this is very helpful. Finally a head-to-head comparison. Will add this to Troubleshooting / FAQ in Post #1.

As I'm relatively new to Hackintoshes, and I've been curious what difference the model makes when configuring OC, I decided to conduct some tests on my own system. This was not a particularly scientific test, but I thought some people might find it interesting, so I decided to share my results. OS is Catalina 10.15.7 and I used CaseySJ's 'OC-061-VISION-D' as the base OC config (only Model was changed).
  • iMacPro 1,1
  • MacPro 7,1
  • iMac 20,2
  • iMac 20,1
  • iMac 19,1
Geekbench 5 scores:
View attachment 489483View attachment 489484

Couple notes:
  • MacPro gave me an error stating that my RAM was misconfigured and over the supported maximum. Did not investigate.
  • Only iMac 19,1 and iMacPro 1,1 worked with iStat Menus to display all the sensors in the below screenshot. The other models only showed two or three sensors (can't remember which).
View attachment 489487

I did couple tests too, iMac 19/iMac20/iMacPro1. (I didnt have the "new" igpu framebuffer, but as hw is the same, I dont think it will make much difference, maybe some compatibility somewhere? Will test with though).

i was only interested in fcpx (cpu+gpu test)/handbrake (pure CPU) performance and I confirm there was no difference between both iMac smbioses in speed nor power consumption (idle/load).
As for iMac vs iMacPro in fcpx it depends on workflows, but I advise on iMacPro as 5700xt is more utilised (speed and power cons. confirms)

Thanks Casey,

I updated to OC 0.6.1 so it contains USBInjectALL 0.7.6 from your OC update guide and files.
Think I will try the following and see what happens:

1. Go into my current OC config.plist and select the model to be iMac 20,2 (since I have the AMD 5700 graphics card).
2. Doing that seems to change the Serial Number, Board Serial Number, and System UUID. It also adds PlatformVRAM information, BID, Firmware Features, Firmware Features Mask.
3. Do model lookup and check coverage so that everything passes muster.

Move that EFI folder to my Boot Flash Drive and see if it will boot (with Ethernet unplugged)
If that boots, sign out iCloud and move the EFI folder to my System Boot partition and see if the system will boot and is stable. Plug ethernet back in and log back in to iCloud. [After making a backup of course :)]

Thanks

Rand
Casey,

Looks like I need some advice. I used OpenCoreConfigurator 2.13.0.0 to reconfigure the PlatformID in config.plist from iMac 19,1 to iMac 20,2. Have new Serial Number, Board Serial Number and System UUID along with changes to PlatformVRAM. Put the new EFI folder in the EFI partition of the Boot Drive. Select that drive to boot from and look at "About this Mac". In all cases the Machine ID is still iMac 19,1 and the serial number is the original serial number. I've tried resetting VRAM, reseting CMOS and reloading BIOS for Mac. Everything I've tried has so far resulted in the old machine identifier and serial number. I've triple checked the EFI folder on the boot disk. Either the system is not booting from the boot disk but the backup or there is something else that I have to do to get these to change. Any recommendations?

Thanks
Rand

*** Using Intel WiFi 6 and Intel Bluetooth 5 on Z490 Vision D ***
Please do not quote this post in its entirety. Post a link instead.

20 Apr 2021: Information on new 2.0.0-alpha drivers!

THESE ARE BETA DRIVERS.
This guide is for enthusiasts willing to experiment on their own. Do not use this on production or work systems.

Please use OpenCore Configurator 2.29.0.1 or newer

04 Jan 2021: The OpenCore 0.6.5 EFI attached below contains 1.2.0-Alpha versions of the OpenIntelWireless drivers.
02 Feb 2021: The OpenCore 0.6.6 EFI attached below contains 1.3.0-Alpha versions of the OpenIntelWireless drivers.
04 Mar 2021: The OpenCore 0.6.7 EFI attached below contains 1.3.0-Alpha versions of the OpenIntelWireless drivers.
05 Apr 2021: The OpenCore 0.6.8 EFI attached below contains latest 1.3.0-Alpha versions of the OpenIntelWireless drivers.​

Thanks to a little prodding from @Stork, I tested the latest releases of OpenIntelWireless drivers on the Z490 Vision D and I am thrilled to see the progress. The Vision D comes with Intel's AX201 WiFi/BT module that is currently the state-of-the-art in wireless technology.
  • Handoff, AirDrop, and Continuity are working! Update: Still a few issues.​
  • Both the Intel Bluetooth driver and the Intel WiFi driver load automatically. No need for HeliPort when we use AirportItlwm instead of itlwm.​
  • The standard macOS WiFi icon on the menu bar can be used to operate the Intel WiFi module.​
  • We can connect to any available SSID (but not hidden SSIDs yet).​
  • Sleep and Wake still work.​
  • Download speeds are "decent" but not (yet) as good as Fenvi. I am getting about 50 Mbps download and 8 Mbps upload.​
    • On Ethernet (wire) I get 208 Mbps download and 6 Mbps upload.​
  • The itlwm WiFi driver supports up to 802.11n, but not 802.11ac (WiFi 5) or 802.11ax (WiFi 6) at this time. AirportItlwm might support 802.11ac (this is not clear in their documentation).​
  • The Fenvi's speed here is unusually slow because (a) the antennas are behind the card, which is not ideal, and (b) there are metallic objects in the line of sight between the antennas and the WiFi router upstairs.​
    • The Intel AX201 does a very respectable job in the same location, but the outboard antenna might be giving it some advantage.​
Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 3.31.49 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 5.13.05 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-09-25 at 3.48.01 PM.png
  • We can see here that AirDrop and Handoff are both supported.
Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 3.30.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 3.30.48 PM.png

This may be a viable alternative to a Fenvi or YOUBO card!

Instructions for Installation:

Preparation:
  • The latest versions of these files can be found on the OpenIntelWireless GitHub site.
  • The attached EFI zip contains USBInjectAll 0.7.6 for the benefit of those using iMac20,1 and iMac20,2.
  • The attached EFI zip is preconfigured for Intel Bluetooth and Intel WiFi.
  • The attached EFI zip is configured for CATALINA and BIG SUR only.
  • You must physically disconnect and remove any existing Fenvi or YOUBO or other WiFi/BT PCIe card.
    • Remember to shutdown and flip power switch on PSU to OFF before removing the PCIe card.
  • Don't forget to attach the outboard antenna to the two antenna ports on the rear IO panel. The outboard antenna is inside the Vision D box.
Prepare New OpenCore EFI:
  • Find a USB Flash Disk that has an EFI partition.
    • If you don't have a USB flash disk with EFI partition, you can format a USB flash disk in Disk Utility with these options in order to erase everything on the USB and create a new EFI partition:
      • Name: Wireless (or anything)
      • Format: MacOS Extended (Journaled)
      • Scheme: GUID Partition Map
  • Mount the EFI partition of the USB flash disk and download the attached ZIP into the EFI partition.
  • Rename the parent folder to "EFI".
    • The current parent folder name is OC-068-Intel-Wireless-VISION-D
    • Change this name to EFI
  • Inside the EFI/OC folder, choose either:
    • config-AMD-GPU.plist --- Use this if you have an AMD GPU.
    • config-Intel-iGPU.plist --- Use this if you don't have an AMD GPU.
  • Then rename it to:
    • config.plist
  • Then transfer these items into the new config.plist. This can be done by HackinDROM through a web browser. Please see this guide for details.
Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 4.10.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 3.26.50 PM.png
  • Double-check your work.
  • If you customized your OpenCore configuration, you'll need to import those changes into the new OpenCore EFI.

CAUTION:
  • If you are using a custom Thunderbolt SSDT or any other custom SSDTs or Kexts, please update your config.plist accordingly.

Testing:
  • With the USB flash disk inserted, boot the system.
  • Press F12 at BIOS splash screen to open the BIOS Boot Menu (not OpenCore Picker).
  • Select the USB flash disk from this menu.
  • You will now see the familiar OpenCore Picker.
  • Boot macOS Catalina or Big Sur.

** General Comments for All Users of OpenIntelWireless Drivers **

These are experimental/beta drivers and not recommended for daily use. Please do not expect "production quality" from these drivers because there are a number of significant limitations at the moment:
  • WiFi speeds are limited to 802.11n. Not 802.11ac or 802.11ax.
  • Bluetooth may require resetting the Bluetooth module, removing all paired devices, and re-pairing devices.
  • Bluetooth devices may not work in BIOS or Clover or OpenCore.
  • WiFi may not recover after wake-from-sleep.
  • There is very limited support for Handoff/Continuity features.
Please review all the FAQs at the OpenIntelWireless website by clicking below:
No further technical support for these drivers is provided in this thread. Please review the Issues list on the GitHub site:

UPDATES:
  • 26 Sep 2020: Drivers for Catalina and Big Sur have been incorporated into the same OpenCore configuration using MinKernel and MaxKernel to load the right ones. If you downloaded the ZIP file before today, it's optional (not necessary) to download the new one.
  • 07 Oct 2020: Updated to OpenCore 0.6.2
  • 04 Nov 2020: Updated to OpenCore 0.6.3
  • 07 Dec 2020: Updated to OpenCore 0.6.4
  • 04 Jan 2021: Updated to OpenCore 0.6.5 (OpenIntelWireless 1.2.0-Alpha)
  • 02 Feb 2021: Updated to OpenCore 0.6.6 (OpenIntelWireless 1.3.0-Alpha)
  • 04 Feb 2021: Modified the OpenCore 0.6.6 ZIP to use HfsPlus.efi instead of the new, but problematic OpenHfsPlus.efi
  • 04 Mar 2021: Updated to OpenCore 0.6.7 (OpenIntelWireless 1.3.0-Alpha)
  • 06 Mar 2021: The OpenCore 0.6.7 EFI Zip has been replaced with an updated version that avoids the highly problematic OpenHfsPlus.efi driver. Please use the updated version as soon as possible.
  • 05 Apr 2021: Updated to OpenCore 0.6.8 (OpenIntelWireless 1.3.0-Alpha latest version)

Attachments

• OC-061-Intel-Wireless-VISION-D.zip
    42.2 MB · Views: 390
  • OC-062-Intel-Wireless-VISION-D.zip
    42.2 MB · Views: 387
  • OC-063-Intel-Wireless-VISION-D.zip
    42.2 MB · Views: 303
  • OC-064-Intel-Wireless-VISION-D.zip
    42.3 MB · Views: 311
  • OC-065-Intel-Wireless-VISION-D.zip
    48.2 MB · Views: 236
  • OC-066-Intel-Wireless-VISION-D.zip
    49 MB · Views: 176
  • OC-067-Intel-Wireless-VISION-D.zip
    48.9 MB · Views: 226
  • OC-068-Intel-Wireless-VISION-D.zip
    48.5 MB · Views: 310
Last edited:
Casey,

Looks like I need some advice. I used OpenCoreConfigurator 2.13.0.0 to reconfigure the PlatformID in config.plist from iMac 19,1 to iMac 20,2. Have new Serial Number, Board Serial Number and System UUID along with changes to PlatformVRAM. Put the new EFI folder in the EFI partition of the Boot Drive. Select that drive to boot from and look at "About this Mac". In all cases the Machine ID is still iMac 19,1 and the serial number is the original serial number. I've tried resetting VRAM, reseting CMOS and reloading BIOS for Mac. Everything I've tried has so far resulted in the old machine identifier and serial number. I've triple checked the EFI folder on the boot disk. Either the system is not booting from the boot disk but the backup or there is something else that I have to do to get these to change. Any recommendations?

Thanks
Rand
At the BIOS splash screen, press F12 to open the BIOS boot menu and choose the right startup disk.

Please do not quote this post in its entirety. Post a link instead.​
Awesome!
Maybe you can update the "Using On-Board Intel Bluetooth 5.0 Module" section on the first post now with your new post.

Then anybody will find the newest information.

Awesome!
Maybe you can update the "Using On-Board Intel Bluetooth 5.0 Module" section on the first post now with your new post.

Then anybody will find the newest information.
Yes, references have been updated.

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 4.55.04 PM.png

At the BIOS splash screen, press F12 to open the BIOS boot menu and choose the right startup disk.
Hey Casy,

I am choosing the correct startup disk, the disk I have labeled Catalina. I've checked the OpenCore configuration on the EFI partition three times. It says iMac 20,2 and has new Serial Number, Board Serial Number, System UUID (cannot send a pic). About my Mac still shows the old Serial Number and Old iMac 19,1. Only other thing I can think to do is wipe the drive and reinstall Mac OS X with the Flash Drive updated, unless you know of something else.

Thanks

Rand

Attachments

• About.jpg
    About.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 119
Hey Casy,

I am choosing the correct startup disk, the disk I have labeled Catalina. I've checked the OpenCore configuration on the EFI partition three times. It says iMac 20,2 and has new Serial Number, Board Serial Number, System UUID (cannot send a pic). About my Mac still shows the old Serial Number and Old iMac 19,1. Only other thing I can think to do is wipe the drive and reinstall Mac OS X with the Flash Drive updated, unless you know of something else.

Thanks

Rand
This is simply an OpenCore configuration issue. Please post a screenshot of OpenCore Configurator --> PlatformInfo --> Datahub. You may blank out serial numbers.

Please do not quote this post in its entirety. Post a link instead.​

Thanks to a little prodding from @Stork, I tested the latest releases of OpenIntelWireless drivers on the Z490 Vision D and I am thrilled to see the progress. The Vision D comes with Intel's AX201 WiFi/BT module that is currently the state-of-the-art in wireless technology.
  • Handoff, AirDrop, and Continuity are working! Update: Still a few issues.​
  • Both the Intel Bluetooth driver and the Intel WiFi driver load automatically. No need for HeliPort when we use AirportItlwm instead of itlwm.​
  • The standard macOS WiFi icon on the menu bar can be used to operate the Intel WiFi module.​
  • We can connect to any available SSID (but not hidden SSIDs yet).​
  • Sleep and Wake still work.​
  • Download speeds are "decent" but not (yet) as good as Fenvi. I am getting about 50 Mbps download and 8 Mbps upload.​
    • On Ethernet (wire) I get 208 Mbps download and 6 Mbps upload.​
  • The Fenvi's speed here is unusually slow because (a) the antennas are behind the card, which is not ideal, and (b) there are metallic objects in the line of sight between the antennas and the WiFi router upstairs.​
    • The Intel AX201 does a very respectable job in the same location, but the outboard antenna might be giving it some advantage.​
View attachment 489532 View attachment 489551View attachment 489533
  • We can see here that AirDrop and Handoff are both supported.
View attachment 489536View attachment 489537
This may be a viable alternative to a Fenvi or YOUBO card!

Instructions for Installation:

Preparation:
  • The latest versions of these files can be found on the OpenIntelWireless GitHub site.
  • The attached EFI zip contains USBInjectAll 0.7.6 for the benefit of those using iMac20,1 and iMac20,2.
  • The attached EFI zip is preconfigured for Intel Bluetooth and Intel WiFi.
  • The attached EFI zip is configured for CATALINA only.
    • To test this on Big Sur, locate the file AirportItlwm.kext in the OC/Kexts folder and replace it with the attached AirportItlwm.kext
    • If you're running Catalina, do not use the attached AirportItlwm.kext.
  • You must physically disconnect and remove any existing Fenvi or YOUBO or other WiFi/BT PCIe card.
    • Remember to shutdown and flip power switch on PSU to OFF before removing the PCIe card.
  • Don't forget to attach the outboard antenna to the two antenna ports on the rear IO panel. The outboard antenna is inside the Vision D box.
Prepare New OpenCore EFI:
  • Find a USB Flash Disk that has an EFI partition.
    • If you don't have a USB flash disk with EFI partition, you can format a USB flash disk in Disk Utilitywith these options in order to erase everything on the USB and create a new EFI partition:
      • Name: Wireless (or anything)
      • Format: MacOS Extended (Journaled)
      • Scheme: GUID Partition Map
  • Mount the EFI partition of the USB flash disk and download the attached ZIP into the EFI partition.
  • Rename the parent folder to "EFI".
    • The current parent folder name is OC-061-Intel-Wireless-VISION-D
    • Change this name to EFI
  • Inside the EFI/OC folder, choose either:
    • config-AMD-GPU.plist --- Use this if you have an AMD GPU.
    • config-Intel-iGPU.plist --- Use this if you don't have an AMD GPU.
  • Then rename it to:
    • config.plist
  • Then transfer these items into the new config.plist:
View attachment 489538
  • Save the file.
  • Double-check your work.
  • If you customized your OpenCore configuration, you'll need to import those changes into the new OpenCore EFI.
Testing:
  • With the USB flash disk inserted, boot the system.
  • Press F12 at BIOS splash screen to open the BIOS Boot Menu (not OpenCore Picker).
  • Select the USB flash disk from this menu.
  • You will now see the familiar OpenCore Picker.
  • Boot macOS Catalina (or Big Sur if you replaced AirportItlwm.kext)
Can I use the Intel Ax201 with SMBIOS Imac20,1? Only use with Imac19,1?

Back