Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have exactly the same issue from time to time when I restart. The desktop image/background image is scaled down to a 1/4 of the resolution (I run 4k) but the desktop itself is 4k. I usually run change the resolution then back to 4k and the background image is restored but it is frustrating.
Also I have noticed that when this happens, the system does not load anymore my desktop images which are loaded from a NAS and rotate every 5 minutes.
I have to manually open the background image preferences then reselect the NAS but it is very tedious because quite often the background image preferences will freeze.
Do you also have an LG 4K monitor?

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I received the pieces for my build this week (huge back order on intel cpu's apparently). I am still debating wifi options. I would love to keep this machine as clean as possible. My current machine, I have always used a PCI card with a BCM94360CD. I am wondering if anyone has replaced the m.2 wifi card on the Vision D board back panel with a BCM94360NG?

Or, is it possible to put one of these cards into the NVME slot on the board? and just get an antenna bracket for the back of the machine? Just trying to get options to keep the PCIe slots open. Would like to get a 10GbE card eventually for the PCIe slot.
Just to expand on the idea or thought. Using something like the following:

with the BCM94360NG card. That way I can save the Vision D prebuilt card? Not sure if anyone here has tried that method on the Vision D Z490 Boards with any luck?
The on-board WiFi/BT module on Z490 Vision D (and Z390 Designare) is an Intel CNVi module instead of a generic M.2 module. The slot may resemble M.2, but it only accepts CNVi RF modules that interface with the digital side of the WiFi/BT circuit that is on the PCH (i.e. on the Z490 chipset). This is a locked slot that is not open to other devices.

Motherboard
GA-Z490 Vision D
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. iMac
Unfortunately, I do not think that a replacement Vision D will make a difference. Instead, please do this:
  • Connect the UAD and power it on before booting the system.
  • I believe there is a "RESET" function on the UAD. If so, reset the UAD.
  • Now boot into macOS.
  • Download and run IORegistryExplorer and select File --> Save As..., then post the saved file.
  • Also post screenshot of System Information --> PCI.
Sooo, just received new board Vision D, thunderbolts is still not work and I guess that problem is with apple adapter TH3 (USB-C) to TH2, but it is very strange, because this adapter works great on board z170-UD5-ZH

here is the files:
Pic 01.png

Attachments

• iMac.ioreg
    19.5 MB · Views: 21

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Sooo, just received new board Vision D, thunderbolts is still not work and I guess that problem is with apple adapter TH3 (USB-C) to TH2, but it is very strange, because this adapter works great on board z170-UD5-ZH

here is the files:
View attachment 487213
I have the Apple TB3-to-TB2 adapter and the Apple TB2 Gigabit Ethernet adapter. Some observations on Z490 Vision D:
  • On Big Sur Public Beta, the Apple Gigabit Ethernet adapter does not work. It seems Apple has removed the driver for Broadcom BCM5701 Ethernet.
  • On Catalina 10.15.6, the same combination works perfectly (including hot plug).
  • However, the TB3-to-TB2 adapter itself is okay in both operating systems.
In your case, IOReg shows that no Thunderbolt devices are connected.
  • Do you have other TB2 or TB3 devices?
    • Try connecting other TB2 devices into the Apple adapter.
    • Try connecting TB3 devices directly.

Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 6.11.51 AM.png

Motherboard
Z77X-UD5H
CPU
I7-3770K
Graphics
Aorus 5700 XT
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
The on-board WiFi/BT module on Z490 Vision D (and Z390 Designare) is an Intel CNVi module instead of a generic M.2 module. The slot may resemble M.2, but it only accepts CNVi RF modules that interface with the digital side of the WiFi/BT circuit that is on the PCH (i.e. on the Z490 chipset). This is a locked slot that is not open to other devices.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, after researching last night more in depth on the forums, I discovered the CNVi slot is proprietary. Apparently this is more common on Gigabyte boards. My second thought of using that Key M adapter to put it in the M.2 slot "should" work. I may order an adapter board and antenna bracket to experiment. The 3rd M.2 slot is going to be sitting there any ways. I would think I could just use the existing antenna on the board to hook up to a bcm94360ng card. Just to make things cleaner. I am not really concerned about distance of signal anyways.

Motherboard
Z490 Vision D
CPU
i7 10700K @ 3.80 GHz
Graphics
Radeon RX Vega 56
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@CaseySJ thanks for the solution to changing the Disk Label in OC Picker, it worked for me.

Another thing I've run into is occasionally when I restart or turn on CPU and load into MacOS I will get the following screen immediately following selection.
View attachment 487188

Then I have to hold the power button to shutdown and turn back on. I then select MacOS again in the OC Picker and it will load with no issue. Any idea what could be causing the issue?

Edit: I recently cloned my MacOS to a new Sabrent NVMe after previously using a Samsung NVMe. I will report back if I get the error again.

I also get this from time to time when booting. I also got a Samsung NVMe. Does it still happen on your Sabrent?

Motherboard
GA-Z490 Vision D
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. iMac
thanks CaseySJ, yeah just tried with Apollo Twin and it work including hot plug, but is very strange... why the Apollo DUO not work, maybe it need complete reset, please any suggesting.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
thanks CaseySJ, yeah just tried with Apollo Twin and it work including hot plug, but is very strange... why the Apollo DUO not work, maybe it need complete reset, please any suggesting.
Please have a look here:
Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 11.23.47 AM.png

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
OpenCore 0.6.1 has been released. Will update the EFI soon. Meanwhile, could it be that we no longer need FakePCIID for Comet Lake on-board high-def audio (HDA)?

Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 11.29.08 AM.png

EDIT: Confirmed. FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext is no longer needed. Updated ZIP coming soon.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision G
CPU
i7-10700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi @Ayvan for the sake of clarity: Did you set your Vcore to 'fixed vcore' then set the voltage to 1.200v?

Thanks!
CPU Upgrade -> "Gaming Profile" adds 100 MHz to turbo boost frequencies for all cores.
VCore "Fixed" on 1.2V (and not, it's not really fixed, it can automatically changed in some range, but with "Auto" VCore voltage it can be 1.5V+)
Loadline Calibration on "Low"

Real VCore on heavy load (Cinebench R20) is 1.31-1.32V.

You need to test system stability with any manual settings. You can fix VCore on higher voltage and lower LLC setting, or lower voltage and higher LLC setting.
Снимок экрана 2020-09-07 в 21.33.27.png

Снимок экрана 2020-09-07 в 21.32.37.png