RX 5700XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Moving to another problem, I am getting regular hangs at the Gigabyte Splash Screen which I recover from by doing a Reset and Reboot or a Power Down and Reboot. I have even had to do a Clear CMOS on a couple of occasions.

Any idea what may be causing this as it is somewhat frustrating not knowing if my Hackintosh is actually going to boot successfully?

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Moving to another problem, I am getting regular hangs at the Gigabyte Splash Screen which I recover from by doing a Reset and Reboot or a Power Down and Reboot. I have even had to do a Clear CMOS on a couple of occasions.

Any idea what may be causing this as it is somewhat frustrating not knowing if my Hackintosh is actually going to boot successfully?
Please try the process of elimination:
  • Start by disconnecting all Thunderbolt devices (they can be hot plugged later)
  • If problem persists:
    • Boot with only 1 monitor connected. Check again.
    • Remove any PCIe cards other than GPU and WiFi/BT. Check again.
    • Disconnect external USB devices except keyboard and mouse. Check again.
If nothing seems to help, it will be necessary to contact Gigabyte Tech Support.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 5700XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Please try the process of elimination:
  • Start by disconnecting all Thunderbolt devices (they can be hot plugged later)
  • If problem persists:
    • Boot with only 1 monitor connected. Check again.
    • Remove any PCIe cards other than GPU and WiFi/BT. Check again.
    • Disconnect external USB devices except keyboard and mouse. Check again.
If nothing seems to help, it will be necessary to contact Gigabyte Tech Support.

Ok, thanks, I will investigate.

I only have a single external Drive as my Time Machine Backup
Also, I have a Corsair Commander Pro and Lighting Node Core connected but all this was working ok when I first completed my build (and applied UPS detection fix).
Seems to have started happening since adding an SSD for testing Big Sur but that has been removed.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i7-10700k
Graphics
5700xt
@CaseySJ thanks for the solution to changing the Disk Label in OC Picker, it worked for me.

Another thing I've run into is occasionally when I restart or turn on CPU and load into MacOS I will get the following screen immediately following selection.
1599443665889.png

Then I have to hold the power button to shutdown and turn back on. I then select MacOS again in the OC Picker and it will load with no issue. Any idea what could be causing the issue?

Edit: I recently cloned my MacOS to a new Sabrent NVMe after previously using a Samsung NVMe. I will report back if I get the error again.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision G
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
  2. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
It's not only Windows issue, on macOS you can load your CPU by 100% (video rendering etc.) and get very high tempetarures too.
For i9-10900K I highly recommend 280mm or 360mm liquid cooling system. For Rio the best solution is really big 360mm liquid cooling system. Corsair Hydro Series H60 is not enough for 8-10 cores CPUs.

Before I upgraded from i7-4770 to i7-10700K I have NZXT Kraken M22, it's 120mm liquid cooling system, and it was really good, I have temperatures not higher than 70°C and fan was very silent.
After upgrade to i7-10700K I got temperatures higher than 80°C (it was June in Moscow and about 28°C in my room) on heavy load and 100% fan speed - it fas very noisy, in office tasks (browser, a little bit of photo-editing and RAW processing) fan can jump from ~60-70% speed to 100% every 30-40 seconds.
So, I bought NZXT Kraken X73 and it was my best buy. Three 120mm fans on 360mm radiator is very, very good. I connected all 3 fans to my motherboard (Vision D/G has CPU_OPT connector and it can handle up to 3A current - it's enough for pump and 3 fans) and now I can use SmartFan in BIOS to configure fan speed/temperature curve.

Now I have ~35°C idle temperature, and 65-70°C on heavy load (for example Cinebench R20 test) when temperature in my room is 25°C.

VERY IMPORTANT! You need to set you CPU VCore voltage and Load Line Calibration manually in BIOS! In "auto" mode Gigabyte Z490 motherboards set voltage too high and CPU can be "overvoltaged" and very hot!

Read this: https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/...erboards-with-default-settings-for-your-build

My CPU works fine on VCore 1.2V and LLC "Low" (and crashed in Cinebench R20 if LLC lower than "low", for example, if LLC is "normal"), it overclocked to +100MHz for all boost frequencies.

Hi @Ayvan for the sake of clarity: Did you set your Vcore to 'fixed vcore' then set the voltage to 1.200v?

Thanks!

Motherboard
Z77X-UD5H
CPU
I7-3770K
Graphics
Aorus 5700 XT
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
yeah, but it's somehow strange that these particular rams (F4-3600C18D-64GTRG and F4-3600C18D-64GTZR) are not in the list on the gigabyte page, there is only support for 8GB ram, but not 32GB.:confused:

can anyone confirm that this particular frames is 100% compatible and works on Z490 vision-D?

Yes. If you go to the G.Skill website and look up the ram it will have a QVL listing. They are compatible with the Vision D.

Motherboard
Z77X-UD5H
CPU
I7-3770K
Graphics
Aorus 5700 XT
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I received the pieces for my build this week (huge back order on intel cpu's apparently). I am still debating wifi options. I would love to keep this machine as clean as possible. My current machine, I have always used a PCI card with a BCM94360CD. I am wondering if anyone has replaced the m.2 wifi card on the Vision D board back panel with a BCM94360NG?

Or, is it possible to put one of these cards into the NVME slot on the board? and just get an antenna bracket for the back of the machine? Just trying to get options to keep the PCIe slots open. Would like to get a 10GbE card eventually for the PCIe slot.

Motherboard
Z77X-UD5H
CPU
I7-3770K
Graphics
Aorus 5700 XT
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Just to expand on the idea or thought. Using something like the following:

with the BCM94360NG card. That way I can save the Vision D prebuilt card? Not sure if anyone here has tried that method on the Vision D Z490 Boards with any luck?

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Correct. I restarted a couple times and got it to reoccur. See screenshot. You can also see DND is enabled. Strange how these things are related.
View attachment 487161
Please try disabling WhateverGreen from the Kernel section of OpenCore Configurator. This may or may not have an effect, but it's something to try in the overall troubleshooting process. It would be best to make this change on a USB flash disk (in the EFI partition of the USB flash disk) in case the system boots to black screen without WEG.

Please see this for a (somewhat?) related issue:

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
I7-10700K
Graphics
5600XT
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Glad to hear it and welcome to the forum!

Does this mean the screen resolution on your 4K monitor remains at 2560x1440 (scaled) but only the desktop image is sized down? When this happens do you see black or white borders around the scaled-down background image? A screenshot might help to convey the problem (CMD-Shift-5).

Will add this to Troubleshooting / FAQs as examples of drive enclosures that work and don't work.

This is a common issue. Please try resetting NVRAM from the OpenCore Picker by pressing spacebar and choose the option at the far right.

I have exactly the same issue from time to time when I restart. The desktop image/background image is scaled down to a 1/4 of the resolution (I run 4k) but the desktop itself is 4k. I usually run change the resolution then back to 4k and the background image is restored but it is frustrating.
Also I have noticed that when this happens, the system does not load anymore my desktop images which are loaded from a NAS and rotate every 5 minutes.
I have to manually open the background image preferences then reselect the NAS but it is very tedious because quite often the background image preferences will freeze.